Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Tyrann Mathieu at the Dinner tonight
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Jor-El said:
I may be in the minority here, but I am kind of mixed regarding Tyrann Mathieu. Maybe his college troubles are behind him, but he has had some injury problems as well. If we had to choose between him and Richardson, I would definitely prefer Richardson.
I'm not down on Mathieu. I like how he could potentially help us at both safety and slot corner. But if I had to choose one it would be SR. Putting a player of his caliber in the middle of this defense would pay off big. You'd see it on every play. It would impact the edge rushers, the secondary, the linebackers. The best 3rd down defense in 30 some years would be even better.

All that said, I'm absolutely mystified by the idea that we have both of them in town (assuming it's true). After giving Cousins 84 guaranteed, how do you pay Richardson AND Mathieu? I just looked at the top 101 free agents on NFL.com. Cousins was #1. Of the three still available in the top 6, two of them are in Minneapolis. I've seen teams crack open their windows by adding high priced free agents, but here we have one of the most talented teams in the NFL, a team who was a game away from the prize looking to add 3 of the top 6 free agents? That's nuts--and I'll believe it when I see it. 

Is it possible that the Vikings want only 1 more free agent and are trying to see which one wants a Super Bowl more? 
Honestly, I don't think Mathieu is the other player visiting.

I think you are right, Mathieu discussion all blew up from speculation by PA on KFAN yesterday. The "two players" might be Richardson and Cousins - still here. Otherwise it's someone lower-profile, and that doesn't seem like Mathieu.

I'm not sure what mathieu's role would be in this defense.  I don't think he's a cost effective upgrade at S, because Sendejo is playing very well for his price, but you kind of limit him if he's just a nickel DB.  Do you get him snaps at nickel and then rotate him to safety and pull Sendejo out more often.  Are you just in nickel all the time then?

Quote: @medaille said:
I'm not sure what mathieu's role would be in this defense.  I don't think he's a cost effective upgrade at S, because Sendejo is playing very well for his price, but you kind of limit him if he's just a nickel DB.  Do you get him snaps at nickel and then rotate him to safety and pull Sendejo out more often.  Are you just in nickel all the time then?
I think he's a nickel CB. No doubt he would be better than Alexander, but he was under a contract that averaged $12.5M per year and refused to take a pay cut, so...how badly do you want to improve at the nickel?? And has Zimmer literally given up on Mac Alexander already?
However, I could see the Vikings upgrading Sendejo. "Very well for his price" is probably fair, and no he is not a bad safety, but he is a relative weak link on our defense and was picked on in the playoffs. A safety with great recovery speed and coverage ability would take the secondary up a big notch.

This is not a real story.  If he were actually visiting, why would it be a secret?

I don't think Honey Badger was at the dinner last night.  It was reported later that Richardson and Cousins had dinner at Manny's with the brass - two players.

It looks like we are going all in on Richardson and if so I really doubt we have the cap to also sign Badger.

Cousins and Richardson and move onto the draft.  Oh and a healthy Cook back and we are ready to rumble.