Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Cousins, do the Vikings have the 3rd best QB in NFC North?
If you compare Staffords numbers to Cousins they are very similar although Stafford obviously has 4 more seasons. With Staffords numbers being first:  Passing Yards 4511-4392/season, TD's 28-27/season, Int's  14-13/season, completion % 63-67.  Obviously Stafford has a larger sample size but in his 3 years as a starter Cousins numbers are just as good as Staffords.

Well, yes he's third-best as it stands now.  Consider, though, that this would be true regardless which we signed. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Or might it turn into second best with this surround?
How are you determining the rankings???

Was MS the best last year because he had the most yards.
Or because he had the most TDs??

Or was he 2nd because he had less wins
Or was he 2nd because he had 2nd best QBR
First we need to know what in your mind, makes a QB 1st-3rd

Quote: @holmanjp said:
@purplefaithful said:

Stats only matter if there are wins to go with them.  Jameis Winston is a stat machine, unfortunately his INTs are part of that stat sheet.  Bortles has put up huge stats in the past.  To me its the QB that is the most dependable, accurate, makes all the right throws at the right time and doesnt make mistakes.  A QB that in crunch time that can take over a game if other parts of team are having a bad game.  Stafford can somewhat do that but because of the Lions non existent run game they are one dimensional  and defenses can concentrate on stopping only the passing game.  Thats why Brees and Brady are so good.  They can beat you with no running game.  I think with Cousins, if Zimmer gets through to him that with the Vikings running game with Cook, he doesnt have to throw for 300 yards a game to win. But if the  running game is shut down, Cousins has shown he can bring a team back.  I he can limit the mistakes, control the game and make the right calls he will overtake Stafford as the # 2 guy in the NFC north.  Or maybe Zimmer says screw it lets see that big arm and lets air it out and Cousins has a huge year.

3rd is a given; even if we had acquired Tyrod Taylor he would be better than Mitchell Trubisky. Cousins makes the debate about 2nd place a good one.

Probably, but who cares. The defense in Minnesota makes up for the gap in QBs.

Quote: @Purple Haze said:
@holmanjp said:
@purplefaithful said:

Stats only matter if there are wins to go with them.  Jameis Winston is a stat machine, unfortunately his INTs are part of that stat sheet.  Bortles has put up huge stats in the past.  To me its the QB that is the most dependable, accurate, makes all the right throws at the right time and doesnt make mistakes.  A QB that in crunch time that can take over a game if other parts of team are having a bad game.  Stafford can somewhat do that but because of the Lions non existent run game they are one dimensional  and defenses can concentrate on stopping only the passing game.  Thats why Brees and Brady are so good.  They can beat you with no running game.  I think with Cousins, if Zimmer gets through to him that with the Vikings running game with Cook, he doesnt have to throw for 300 yards a game to win. But if the  running game is shut down, Cousins has shown he can bring a team back.  I he can limit the mistakes, control the game and make the right calls he will overtake Stafford as the # 2 guy in the NFC north.  Or maybe Zimmer says screw it lets see that big arm and lets air it out and Cousins has a huge year.
I agree with the QBR.

That being said Case was #2 in the entire league last year. 13 wins in the 17 games he played in.

I see no reason with the weapons he has here, that he cant't be #1 in NFC North.

Quote: @holmanjp said:
@Purple Haze said:
@holmanjp said:
@purplefaithful said:

I agree with the QBR.

That being said Case was #2 in the entire league last year. 13 wins in the 17 games he played in.

I see no reason with the weapons he has here, that he cant't be #1 in NFC North.
As much as I hate Rogers I cant put Cousins in that class, but I can see him easily being top 5 with the weapons he has to work with

Who cares? I really dont. I just want a QB that we are comfortable can do the following:
- Get us TDs instead of field goals
- Get us down the field and end zone quickly when needed
- Put us in position to win a game
- Make the right reads most of the time with few mistakes 
- Is not a turnover machine

I think he’s on par with Stafford right now. They actually play similar and both are known for a pick here and there as they push the envelop. I love guys who compete hard and he fits that role well. Cousins has a strong arm. I think much better than most realize. He needs to work on a few things but arm strength isn’t it. 

From 2008 on the NFL has been measuring guys coming in. In that time 3 guys have hit 60mph. Kirk Cousins hit 59. That’s 4mph faster than Flacco by the way. He needs to keep working on his long ball. That can be tricky even with a big arm. Where his velocity is key is in the 1-20 yard range. He can buzz it right in there. For those comcerned at all, don’t be.