Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now for the defensive roster ...
I suppose the standard is 4-S; 6-CBs; 6-LBs; and 9-DLs.  I'll list who I think are locks for the roster and then the likely combatants for the remaining roster spots.
Safety: only 2 real locks here: Smith and Sendejo. I don't think Harris or Kearse are locks even if they are both likely to make it. Kearse is a ST stud but can't play the position. Harris is ok/  nothing special at Safety, but I have not noticed him on ST. The obvious competition is from UDFA Tray Matthews of Auburn. Getting a little more creative, I wonder whether Holton Hill or Newman would be an upgrade over Harris at safety. It is too much to ask a rookie to learn CB and S. He needs to concentrate on one position. I kind of like the idea of Newman as our third safety as needed. And it frees up a spot for the DL.
CBs: Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, and Alexander are locks. I hesitate to put Newman here just because of his age. Let's see how he looks in camp. I think Hill has a great chance to make the team if he can stay off the weed. Is this the year we say goodbye to Sherels? Seems like we have said that every year for a while.  But he is not good at the position and if Hughes can do the job at PR, doesn't that leave Sherels on the outside? Not sure where the competition is after this group. Tocho? Richardson? ...
LBs: Barr, Kendricks, and Gedeon.  That leaves probably 3 from Wilson, Brothers (susp), Williams, Cliett, Downs, Mata'afa, and Dooley.  Edge goes to Wilson. I would have included Brothers with Wilson but for his suspension. Not sure where Downs is with his injury; Mata'afa is new to the position; and who knows about Williams, Cliett, or Dooley? 
DL:  Griffen, Richardson, Joseph, Hunter, Johnson, and Holmes. I think those are the 6 locks.  I know I left off Robison. He is next, but I'm just not sure. Like with Newman, it's an age thing. If you want to move to the lock list, I would not argue. This still leaves Weatherly, Aruna, Bowers, Parry, Odenigbo from which 2, or at most 3, will make it. But 3 means cutting someone from another group. 
DL looks like the deepest group. Some good players will be cut. And I don't know if they will make it to the PS.  We may be better off keeping 10 DL and cutting elsewhere.  I would like to cut Harris or Kearse, but if it is Harris, we will need someone to replace him at S. The young LB are likely to get through to the PS without getting picked up.
That's my take.

I like the idea of Newman filling 2 spots.  CB depth and safety depth.  That makes him near a lock.  Not sure I would lock in Sendejo.  I like him, but if Harris has improved, he may just bump off Sendejo.  Not likely, but it is possible in my mind.

If Hughes can fill the PR gig, Sherels is gone.  He has outlasted all expectations with a very solid career.  His contributions on ST will be missed, but if Hughes can handle punts without fumbling, then Sherels value declines immensely.