Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer + Cousins = Burns + Walker?
Just a random thought...but to me it sounds like Zim wants Cousins about as much as Burns wanted Walker...you don't even have to read between the lines based on Zim's comments from the combine...Considering how much we ran last year, our emphasis on D, do we really want to tie up a disproportionate amount of the cap on a guy who has fumbled 30 times in the last three years? I know I don't...

IMO, Zimmer's idea of what a team should be might not be the kind that gets you a Super Bowl trophy. It might get you regular season wins. But although I love his defense and last year was great, it might be time to demand more at the QB position. I don't know that his old school vision is the right one in today's NFL to beat elite teams in the playoffs. 

Does Cousins fumble 30 times every year? Or is that more exception than rule? How many fumbles did he lose out of that 30? I think you are justified in questioning the pursuit of Cousins, for sure. I'm not sure either. But I have concerns also with Keenum, Bridgewater and Bradford. I wish the answer was more self-evident, honestly. 

I'm for a Cousins signing. I would be hopeful that he could elevate his play like Keenum did in this scenario. But its certainly an all-in commitment that has no guarantees. 

I would agree that Zimmer seems to be the one member of the Viking "selection committee" that is not fully on board with Cousins. There's no doubt in my mind that if it were up to Zim only this team would be rolling with Teddy. 

Zimmer should focus more on getting his defense to perform better in the most critical games of the year.

They did fairly well vs the Saints considering that Keenum and the special teams gave them short field to defend.

You still would have liked to see them force at least one field goal after those turnovers.

Against the Eagles they just got smoked and Zimmer got his arse handed to him by Doug Pederson.

As far as how much he wants Cousins, well, I read his comments differently.

I think he wants to keep his defense together and really is only worried about the money aspect.

I would guess that if Cousins came at the right price he would not really care too much.

I do believe he likes Teddy.

Zimmer is a terrible liar, but I do wonder how much of what he said is tampering down the QB talk for leverage purposes?

That said, I must be getting spoiled as a fan, I would have given my pinkie finger to win the division 2 of 3 seasons as little as 5 seasons ago. 

Now I question how aligned I am with Zimmer (or not) on what it's going to take to have this team take that last, giant leap forward.

I'm not on board with Bridgewater being that option and I am becoming more convinced the league has Zimmer's defensive schemes figured out as the D got gashed good last 6 quarters of the playoff's.

Spoiled fan talk? yes and no. not winning a CG in over 40 years gives me a good case for "no"  

Maybe purgatory is a good way to describe it lol! 

"I am becoming more convinced the league has Zimmer's defensive schemes figured out as the D got gashed good last 6 quarters of the playoff's."

I agree with this. If this defense doesn't continue to evolve we will begin to get picked apart.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I would agree that Zimmer seems to be the one member of the Viking "selection committee" that is not fully on board with Cousins. There's no doubt in my mind that if it were up to Zim only this team would be rolling with Teddy. 
Then Zim should clearly not be making offensive personnel decisions.

Play Devil's Advocate for a moment and imagine a concern Zimmer might feel. Suppose the Vikings sign Cousins and all the "final piece of the puzzle" theorists turn out to be right: Cousins plays even better on this team and he and his receivers have great seasons and the defense is still top 5 and the Vikings - gasp! - win a Super Bowl. Know what some people (maybe a lot, nationally) are going to say?
"Vikings finally won because Spielman stopped throwing resources at Zimmer's defense and figured out they needed a good QB to be a winner."
It doesn't even matter if that sentiment is fair or accurate or whatever - it will be expressed, maybe widely, given that the team had 2 winning seasons out of 4 under Zimmer before Cousins, that he's just an above-average head coach who was carried to a championship by a GM forcing a QB and modernized offense upon him. If he's a big enough man, he won't care what people think as much as he is happy to win.
Ironically, by appearing to drag his feet about Cousins, Zimmer will reinforce the impression that he's a defense-only dinosaur. Maybe he's just trying to put up a poker face for the media and to avoid tampering suspicion, and is actually on board with Cousins totally. But...if Cousins visits Minnesota and the Head Coach acts like he could take him or leave him, it will certainly torpedo our bid.

So we were just having "Cousins at QB" away from winning the SB last year?  I doubt it.  This team needs help in other areas like the OLine, DLine, DBs, RBs, and TE.  Getting Cousins might be better than Case, but it's not the only thing the Vikings need to become Champs.

I'd be perfectly fine with Case and get more stud players in other areas of need.

Is Cousins better than Foles?  If so, then it's proof you can win with a good group of players surrounding just about any QB playing at a high level.

If we sign Cousins, great.  If not, then that might actually help the overall needs of the team.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
The guy he deactivated for Bradford?