Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A healthy Billy Price or McGlinchey?
Quote: @Jor-El said:
McGlinchey for reasons cited by others; basically, OT is harder to fill. Call me crazy, but I have hope that Danny Isadora will be our starting RG at the end of 2018 camp..
In that vein: do the Vikings have any appetite (or budget) to sign another OT in free agency this year, or did Reiff and Remmers use that up? I think the Pats' Cameron Fleming would be a better RT than Remmers, only 26 and probably not overly expensive. I realize free agency is hard to project with the QB situation hanging over everything, but it would sure be great to have some reinforcement on the OL before draft day.
I wish they would.  Imagine this line:  Rieff, Norwell, Elflein, Sitton, Remmers, then draft a kid like Brian O'Niell from Pitt, resign Easton to swing and we'd be set with the rest battling it out for backup jobs.

Norwell plays in a man blocking scheme, not a zone blocking scheme. He doesn't fit in Minnesota any more than Hernandez in the Draft.

I've stated all along that RT is the single biggest need outside of QB. I would have to see a future HOF Guard fall to #30 before I'd pass on McGlinchey.

So unless Nelson falls this is a no-brainer for me.

McGlinchey reminds me of Matt Kalil: athletic, but thin-framed with no anchor. He needs to gain strength. He's very long, which is great, but he doesn't have that lower body density to hold. IMO, he's an average NFL RT at best. 

I'd rather take Kolton Miller in round 2 and go a different way in round 1.

I could get behind McGlinchey in the first and then Price in the second, even if you have to move up to get him.  Move on from Berger this year, and move on from Remmers next year.

2018:  Reiff, Easton/Sirles/Isadora, Elflein, Remmers, McGlinchey.  One of Easton/Sirles/Isadora; Price, Hill, Collins.
2019:  Reiff, Easton/Sirles/Isadora, Elflein, Price, McGlinchey.  Saves cap to release Remmers.

Both of our OCs are coming off broken ankles, so Price might be valued higher by us than other teams.

We'd have to sign a 3T to fill that hole.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
McGlinchey reminds me of Matt Kalil: athletic, but thin-framed with no anchor. He needs to gain strength. He's very long, which is great, but he doesn't have that lower body density to hold. IMO, he's an average NFL RT at best. 
He's a lot like Kalil physically. Both are Left Tackle 101 in terms of size and technique. I'd actually say that Kalil had better feet. BIG difference though. McGlinchey is a leader and an ass kicker.

I can formulate a better answer once we have a QB...And FA...but gun to my head right now, I think I'd have to go with Price...we spent a lot of bucks to firm up the tackles, I think more draft capital towards the interior might give us more bang for our buck...Plus I'm not certain McGlinchy is going to be that much better than Hill...but I'm almost positive Price will be better than any guy on the interior of our line not named Elflein...

Both would be big upgrades to our OL and with teams moving to quicker pass attacks, there will be a premium on generating quick pressure up the middle, so Price if healthy could be a great choice for the Vikings, especially considering the success we had with Elflein as a rookie. So another OL coming from that same system and I believe also having a wrestling background would seem like a pretty safe pick. That being said, I don't think we can get complacent at RT. Hill is a good swing tackle, they seem to like Remmers better as a guard, and while Riley Reiff played very well, we'd be smart to start developing a successor. So positional need might push be me towards McGlinchy, but I think Price would be the better fit.