Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: General
Been a busy year for me and largely wonderful as a Viking fan.  At the beginning season, I thought there was no way the Vikes would win the Super Bowl but a few minutes into the NFC championship, I thought the vikes were a team of destiny.  Alas.  Here are some miscellaneous thoughts:

1. Case.  At the beginning of the season, I predicted Bradford would have a huge season because that would be the most Viking-like result -- a QB having a career year just before free agency and causing a gut wrenching decision -- keep the one year wonder or look elsewhere for a QB.  So, right thought, wrong quarterback.  I am fine with the Vikes not franchising or signing Case  -- I do think he is a one year wonder.  I am very interested in how the Vikes resolve the QB dilemma.  One of the interesting things to ponder -- I am confident that the Vikes will make the right decision on Case/Sam/Teddy because the vikes kow the three of them better than the other teams in the league.  hence, if the Vikes don't sign any of them, it is because the coaches know something the regular fan does not.  However, this same thought subdues my enthusiasm for Cousins -- the Redskins certainly know Cousins better than any team and yet they went out and traded for Smith.  How did the Redskins reach this decision
  2. My wife.  It is not enjoyable for the casual fan to watch a Vikings game with me.  So, I tend to retreat to the bedroom with the door closed while my wife and daughter go about their Sunday routines.  On two occasions this season, my wife interrupted a Viking games.  First time, during the Bears game and the very next play the Bears returned a punt for a touchdown.  Second time was during the NFC championship and the very next play the Eagles ran an interception back for a touchdown.  Now, I am sure my wife interrupted me more than twice during the season and the logical part of me knows she did not cause the Vikes to lose to the Eagles.  But you know, she really did cause the Vikes to lose to the Eagles.  Now, I can't say that to her but I was pissed at her for days after the game (and couldn't tell her why).  Knwing the Vikes lost due to my wife's interference is just my bear to cross. 
  3. Outside Practice.  I read that the Vikes were unable to practice outside the week before the game.  To me, it certainly showed on the field.  The Vikes looked slowwwwww.  It is funny, during the first two series, I thought it was the eagles who didn't look mentally prepared for the game but then it changed and the Vikes did not look mentally prepared the rest of the way.  I think not practicing outside really hurt the Vikes for this game.
  4. Foles/Patriots.  One of the things I have thought about a lot since the end of the season is about coaching and preparation.  I think the fact the Foles-guided Eagles offense was still evolving at the end of the season was a huge benefit to the Eagles.  It made them much harder to plan for.  I don't think Foles (or Keenum) are multi-dimensional but they can do certain things really well.  If the opposing team doesn't have a clear idea about what the QB does really well, it puts the D at a disadvantage.  But once they is a lot of film on a 'limited' QB, the defense can take away everything he does well.  That s why watching Jimmy G in SF will be interesting this year.  Will we see a decline in his effectiveness as the league learns better his strengths and weaknesses.  Thinking about this made me think about the Patriots and how they have stayed at or near the top.  They are, perhaps, the most chameleon team in the league as they can change their offense and defense on a weekly basis.  It is harder to game plan for them because they do so many different things.  Even with lesser physical talent, they are consistently a great team.  yes, they have a QB that is great especially when needed (but he was a 4th rd draft pick for a reason) but I think the Patriot's success is largely attributable to a great coach and very smart football players who can weekly change their scheme and philosophy.
  5. Free Agency.  beside QB, I would not be bothered if the Vikes did not sign any free agents but instead invested in their existing roster.  That way, they should get a couple of compensatory picks next year.    

Good stuff! I definitely blame your wife for the Eagles loss.

With Cousins, he wasn't drafted to be the Franchise QB. Snyder had his FO give up the farm for RG III. When that didn't pan out his ego wouldn't let him see that Kirk was the answer. 

There's virtually no noise out there from ex-GMs, talking heads, etc., that says Danny Boy handled Cousins like a champ. The nearly universal opinion is Snyder handled it like a chump. Which is par for the course for him.

LMAO, your poor wife.  Wondering what she did.  Although she may have known and secretly relished it.

I agree completely on Foles and the lack of film on him.  It certainly helped them against us and the Pats.  Kudos to their coaches for making that work.  (and we have one of them now!)

Agree with 1.  I'll give your wife credit for 2, but my wife gets credit for the Blair Walsh miss vs. Seattle.  Exact same thing.  Didn't watch a single play all year until then.

Thanks,  I thought it was coaching and the D had been figured out.  So who will be awarded the kids, and are you gonna draft or look for a FA to replace her?  Look for someone who's good with routes, refrigerator to you.  Need someone that can bring it on game day, not just at practice. 

Quote: @MoosicMan said:
Agree with 1.  I'll give your wife credit for 2, but my wife gets credit for the Blair Walsh miss vs. Seattle.  Exact same thing.  Didn't watch a single play all year until then.
My father-in-law gets the blame for Anderson's miss against Atlanta.  He had never watched football before and because of weird circumstances he was around just in time to see Anderson's kick.  His reaction:  that was a good kick, he came very close.  I held my tongue.  

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@MoosicMan said:
My father-in-law gets the blame for Anderson's miss against Atlanta.  He had never watched football before and because of weird circumstances he was around just in time to see Anderson's kick.  His reaction:  that was a good kick, he came very close.  I held my tongue.  

Lol, that's a great story.  How did your head not explode?  =)

1st, divorce your wife.  You should get all the assets when you bring up all the damage she's done to the state of MN. 

2nd, We were emotionally drained for the NFCC game.  These are professional football players.  You can't tell me they can't figure out practice between indoor turf and outside grass.  I think that whole argument is completely overblown. 

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
  1. Free Agency.  beside QB, I would not be bothered if the Vikes did not sign any free agents but instead invested in their existing roster.  That way, they should get a couple of compensatory picks next year.    
I always forget about the comp picks. Assuming we sign Cousins, he will cancel anything received for Keenum. But we could feasibly get 3rd round picks for both Bradford and Bridgewater, depending on their contract and performance...and whoever else we may sign.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@VikingOracle said:
@MoosicMan said:

Lol, that's a great story.  How did your head not explode?  =)
Full story.  One the day of the game, my wife was in the hospital for something related to us trying in vitro fertilization.  Her parent came along (she is very close to her parents).  Her parents are Korean immigrants and do not follow football (or any sports, for that matter).  I listened to the game on, basically, a walkman-like radio.  I am sure my in-laws were not particularly happy that I was sitting in wait room with headphones on  -- but I can live with that.  We made it home near the end of the game.  For some reason my father-in-law sat down next to me as I turned on the game.  He probably wanted to know what was so important.  I can still remember him sitting next to me when the kick missed and what he said.  He had a little laugh -- I know he was laughing at my pain or irony -- he just laughs sometimes when he doesn't fully gather what is going on.  My wife and her family are incredible jinxes for the Vikings and they do not understand my love of the Vikings.  My wife has learned to leave me alone during the game -- with some noticeable exceptions.