Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin Cities' dinosaur laments its 'Cousins or bust' for Vikings

I'm not from Minnesota so I don't regularly read Minneapolis newspapers, but I've seen enough of this Reusse character to get the distinct impression that he mostly likes to criticize and second guess. He is happy to tell you what to do, but if you do it and it doesn't work out, he will tell you how badly you did it, how you mismanaged it, and that no matter what you do, you still suck. He seems like a miserable writer.

I don't need rah, rah sports writers. But this guy is just about negativity for its own sake.

Between Sid Hartman, Charlie Walters and Patrick Reusse, Minneapolis has the worst sports journalists I've ever read. No offense, Minnesotans, but they are just AWFUL.  

No, we don't want the rah rah guys. We get plenty of that from Vikings.com. But is the competition for attention so fierce that knife-throwing journalism is the only way to get clicks? 

Why is it so hard to provide a balanced, objective analysis? There are 10 to 12 people on this board whose judgement I value more than these clowns. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Between Sid Hartman, Charlie Walters and Patrick Reusse, Minneapolis has the worst sports journalists I've ever read. No offense, Minnesotans, but they are just AWFUL.  

No, we don't want the rah rah guys. We get plenty of that from Vikings.com. But is the competition for attention so fierce that knife-throwing journalism is the only way to get clicks? 

Why is it so hard to provide a balanced, objective analysis? There are 10 to 12 people on this board whose judgement I value more than these clowns. 
ONLY 10-12?  How many members are there here?  THAT'S about how many people whose judgment I trust more (and would prefer to read) than those clowns.

Quote: @pumpf said:
@MaroonBells said:

ONLY 10-12?  How many members are there here?  THAT'S about how many people whose judgment I trust more (and would prefer to read) than those clowns.
Why are you making mean comparisons to the clowns? Clowns' lives matter. Send in the clowns! And I don't mean Sid, Charlie or Pat.  :p

What's wrong with a little rah rah sports writing from the established local media? I mean I get it when you have to call it as it is, but is it wrong for a long time sports journalist to actually give the benefit of the doubt to the hometown team just for the sake of hope and optimism? 

I swear Minnesota sports journalists are the most jaded assholes in the biz, and really should just quit or be fired. Nothing brings a smile to the rosacea faced, overfed, sullen, and balding sports hack, like the depressing, I told you so, bullshit, regurgitated in a minutely different way, every time they pound their worn out keyboard.   

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:

I swear Minnesota sports journalists are the most jaded assholes in the biz, and really should just quit or be fired. Nothing brings a smile to the rosacea faced, overfed, sullen, and balding sports hack, like the depressing, I told you so, bullshit, regurgitated in a minutely different way, every time they pound their worn out keyboard.   
Yep. Insufferable curmudgeons that must be miserable.

Geez...
IT WAS A SIDE SESSION with reporters at the combine when Zimmer got his back up over the issue of preventing quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski from moving to the New York Giants as the offensive coordinator.
Zimmer lauded himself for his loyalty to Stefanski and the offensive staff during the low-rated seasons of 2014-16.
Which was rather humorous, since Zimmer got his first shot as a head coach in 2014 and lobbied energetically to get Norv Turner to come in and teach him how to construct an offense, and then Zim ran off Turner seven games (and five victories) into the 2016 season.
And the idea  pushed then that it somehow came at Norv’s request – that he had decided to walk away from coaching – was proven to be false early this year, when Turner signed on as Carolina’s new offensive coordinator.
The gold star that Zim gave himself last week for loyalty to the offensive staff came with a short memory.
I thought Zim was a bit salty when talking about loyalty too, but holy crap...

I don't comprehend the vitriol these guys spit. Does anybody on here have a connection with the Strib who can confirm that these guys are asked to write pissed off commentary like this? Maybe I've just been around too friendly of a press corps my entire life (The folks covering the 49ers, and currently the folks covering the Broncos). Reusse comes across as an equally salty curmudgeon.

It isn't just the Vikings. Reusse hates football in general. He calls it a sport of Neanderthals. Looks down his nose at everyone involved. He loves baseball and has leveraged his way into a sweet deal covering the Twins in spring training every year. No Minnesota winters for the man of superior intellect and station in life.
Football players risk their health to secure a better financial future for themselves and their families. Police, firemen, construction workers, farmers, and all kinds of other workers, risk their health and lives for far less.
You would think a human who has only risked chipping a nail on a typewriter key, or getting a bad hot dog at the metrodome, could show a little more respect.

Quote: @Clanzomaelan said:
Geez...
IT WAS A SIDE SESSION with reporters at the combine when Zimmer got his back up over the issue of preventing quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski from moving to the New York Giants as the offensive coordinator.
Zimmer lauded himself for his loyalty to Stefanski and the offensive staff during the low-rated seasons of 2014-16.
Which was rather humorous, since Zimmer got his first shot as a head coach in 2014 and lobbied energetically to get Norv Turner to come in and teach him how to construct an offense, and then Zim ran off Turner seven games (and five victories) into the 2016 season.
And the idea  pushed then that it somehow came at Norv’s request – that he had decided to walk away from coaching – was proven to be false early this year, when Turner signed on as Carolina’s new offensive coordinator.
The gold star that Zim gave himself last week for loyalty to the offensive staff came with a short memory.
I thought Zim was a bit salty when talking about loyalty too, but holy crap...

I don't comprehend the vitriol these guys spit. Does anybody on here have a connection with the Strib who can confirm that these guys are asked to write pissed off commentary like this? Maybe I've just been around too friendly of a press corps my entire life (The folks covering the 49ers, and currently the folks covering the Broncos). Reusse comes across as an equally salty curmudgeon.
Well, Zimmer does not really know how to run an offense.  And for him to point out the offense rankings since he arrived is complete BS.  To me.

As I said before, the Vikings added Joseph, Munnerly, Newman, and drafted Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, and Waynes since he came on board.  They already had Smith and Rhodes.  Must be nice to have those 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders plus really good free agents on your defense.

Meanwhile, they added Teddy and Diggs to the offense and whiffed badly on Boone, Smith, and letting Kalil get that 5th year.

On top of all this, he conveniently does not mention that AP missed 2014 and 2016.

So what should a writer write when the head coach does not tell the whole story when criticizing one side of the ball?

Just ignore it?

Seems to me that there are folks that believe Zimmer can do no wrong.