Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arden Key
A lot of mocks have us taking Key, but after watching his film, I'm not that impressed with him. He
claims he's the best pass rusher in the draft but 4 sacks in his Junior year doesn't validate that statement.

If we are going to take an edge rusher in the first, I would much rather have Hubbard.

At 6'5" and 238lbs at the combine, Key has more question marks than answers. Here is NFL.com's
draft profile weaknesses. Too many issues to be considered a first round pick IMO. WEAKNESSES Evaluators are worried about his personal discipline. Left team for four months in spring of 2017 for "personal reasons" and had shoulder surgery during that time. Saw weight balloon up to 270 pounds. Segmented mover and lacks fluidity. Liability in run game. Struggles to dominate tight ends at point of attack. Slow to shed. Tightness in hips as an upfield strider. Lacked juice even after losing 20 pounds during the season. Upfield rush plan was predictable and sluggish in 2017. Shows lead hand early allowing tackles to slap it away before landing. Two-hand swipe ineffective at greasing edge. Telegraphs spin move. Plays with wasted motion on the edge. Uninspired when dropping into coverage. Plays upright and is lackadaisical in zone.

I think he's having a Randy Gregory type slit but for different reasons...at one point they both were in the top 10 conversation... Now, as Tom Petty would say...

Edge rushers are hard to find and when they do become available they get paid big bucks.

Key would be very intriguing.

But the Vikings have said publicly that character is very important and Key had some issues in college that are unexplained.

He then does not run at the combine which was disappointing but not too terrible as long as he runs at his pro day.

The real issue is that he only weighed 238 pounds and was up towards 280 early in the collegiate season last year.

I could be mistaken but I believe the Vikings like their ends a little heavier.

I guess I don't see why we'd pick a DE when DT is our biggest need on D. We have Weatherly and Bower as developmental guys behind the starters. Doesn't seem like a priority at the top of the draft but what do I know...

There isn't a single 3T in this Draft that has gotten consistent pressure on QBs.

Meanwhile, Griffin and Hunter played a gazillion snaps last year. 

There are many positive things about Mike Zimmer. How you earn his trust and get PT may not be one of them.

Waynes hardly played his first year but Mac played plenty. Hunter was raw but on the field right away while Jaleel didn't see a snap. Gedeon stepped in right away.

From the outside looking in Zimmer hasn't shown any confidence in Weathrtly or Bowers. And that was a detriment to his Starters, who clearly wore down. And in Everson's case was hurt.

If there isn't an instant Starter at RT or OG I would be fine with a DE. Hopefully Zimmer would like whomever it is enough to get them some quality minutes to keep everyone fresh.

It would also be insurance if Hunter had another average season or wants huge money when his Rookie Contract is up.

Depending on the whole Kirk Cousins saga, I would suppose the options in free agency may be appealing for the DT spot. I guess I'd just rather see  us grab someone for the O-line with our first pick...or Derwin James Wink (I think you'd probably go with that idea too, right FSU?)

Quote: @prairieghost said:
Depending on the whole Kirk Cousins saga, I would suppose the options in free agency may be appealing for the DT spot. I guess I'd just rather see  us grab someone for the O-line with our first pick...or Derwin James Wink (I think you'd probably go with that idea too, right FSU?)
He's as real a deal as it gets! 

I personally want an RT in the first. As for 3T Richardson was ninth in QB pressures last year. Seattle gave up a 2nd and their second best WR for him and are still going to let him test the market. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Poe and Wilkerson only play hard when it's contract time. Stat L. has never lived up to his billing.

I don't personally see 3T getting solved this offseason.

Quote: @prairieghost said:
I can't imagine Derwin James being available at 30. But how about Justin Reid? A lot of the same traits as his older brother, Eric, and a very fast DB who should develop into a tremendous coverage upgrade over Sendejo. That would be a defensive backfield of 4 #1 picks and a 2nd-rounder at nickel...coverage could be incredible.