Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do if MY biggest fear becomes reality?
My biggest fear for the Vikings QB decision is they make the wrong choice, doesn't matter which choice just the wrong one but I'll use the most obvious and polarizing choice to illustrate my point.

Let's say the Vikings commit to Teddy and Cousins signs for a realistic number somewhere else because the Vikings weren't very interested.  Then Teddy fails and Cousins leads the Jets to a Super Bowl and annual success in the next 5-10 years?  Better yet reverse that and they commit to Cousins for a fairly generous contract and he flops while Teddy signs a short term team friendly prove it deal with the Jets and he leads them to a Super Bowl and 10+ years of success.  Substitute any QB name you want to form your nightmare scenario but those seem to be the two at the top of the list right now, what would you do?

Will you just chalk it up to another bad break?  A colossal failure by the coaches and staff scream for their heads and hope for new good fortune with another front office?  Will you find a new team to cheer for or just walk away from the NFL to avoid an eternity of disappointment?

Everybody knows I like what I've seen from Teddy in his first couple seasons and want to see what he can do with this team if Healthy but in the latter scenario I wouldn't become a Jet fan just to follow Teddy but I MIGHT just walk away from this dysfunctional team and league OR I might become a Cardinals fans since they are now y local team and seem to have gotten past their dysfunction of the 80's and 90's(Bill Bidwell years).  IDK for sure but I do know I can't tae much more failure an heartbreak, it might be easier being a Browns fan with eternal low expectations.

I think what can be ascertained from this is that Teddy isn't a franchise QB or I guess, perceived as one. Either his injury is still a concern or the Vikings view Cousins as the superior option: or both. Zimmer never bought into Keenum, this was obvious all year long despite the results. 

I get that there a few fans that can't let the Teddy dream die. Lots to love about the kid. But this would have been the time to commit to him as The Guy moving forward and it doesn't appear to be happening. 

None of the above.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think what can be ascertained from this is that Teddy isn't a franchise QB or I guess, perceived as one. Either his injury is still a concern or the Vikings view Cousins as the superior option: or both. Zimmer never bought into Keenum, this was obvious all year long despite the results. 

I get that there a few fans that can't let the Teddy dream die. Lots to love about the kid. But this would have been the time to commit to him as The Guy moving forward and it doesn't appear to be happening. 
You're force feeding this one in there pretty hard.

Quote: @medaille said:
@StickyBun said:

You're force feeding this one in there pretty hard.
Not sure how else you digest it. Of course, still all big ifs as all of this might not come about (Cousins). But if they do, its pretty obvious, no? And every comment or opinion I've made on this subject has the caveat of IF it happens.

I have been following the team since 1969 when I was very young (8 years old).  I did not watch to much obviously but I did see the 4 Super Bowls.  The Raiders loss was particularly hard for me.

I really started getting into discussing the Vikings on blogs/sites around 1998.

There have been many QBs and disappointments over the years.

Nothing would make me stop being a fan of the Vikings!!!!!!!!!

If they sign Cousins and he is not all that they expected then it will only last 3 years max.  They will cut him and move on.

If they sign Teddy or Case or Sam and they do not work out then they might be able to move on earlier.

Either way, they should not rest on their laurels and should draft someone this year or next to develop.

How about, I'll continue to be a fan as I have been since '69, and we will try again next year.

Actually, this "dysfunctional organization" just had a great year with journeyman backup QB after losing what looked like their two best offensive players. We did not win the SB, did not even make it, but I really enjoyed the season. I hated the way it ended, but with a little time and perspective I realized I really enjoyed this season.  

We are close and the coaches, front office, and ownership are all working to get it done.  And they are not being stupid about it. (We have one of the best teams in the league yet we are still in great cap position.) But nobody has a crystal ball.  Picking the right QB is a bit of a crapshoot. (Who would have guessed going into the season that Nick Foles would be the SB winning QB?) And even if you do, he might get injured. 

We don't have Rodgers, Brady, Brees, or Ben. Those guys are not available. And we won't pick until the end of the first round.  But we have a team that gives us a realistic chance to compete. I'll take that.

Been living OP's biggest fear since PEpp went down...

Thought RS had it nailed with Bridgewater, until the football gods decided to hate on the Vikings again. 

its pretty simple for me... the decision makers have to get this one right.  they have all the information they need on our 3 guys,  and really its a matter of is cousins that much of a better QB and if so what are they willing to spend for that better QB.  I have said for a while I wouldnt want to be the one making this decision,  but I think part of the reason for that is I know I dont have the information (or the football smarts) needed to make the call.   Rick and his staff do... no excuses.

You forgot the option:  "I've had this dark cloud of a franchise following me around this long, why change now!!!"

I can pretty much guarantee you that the nightmare scenario irregardless of who our QB is will happen. Its just the Vikings way.