Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer on Treadwell
Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
The reality is that he is painfully slow.  That ain't gonna change.

He was described in scouting reports as being one of the best at making contested catches.

Why is that?

Because almost all of his catches will be contested because he gets very little separation consistently.

I hope that he will be able to contribute just a little more next year but the dude is a bust.

In two years he has 21 catches for 215 yards and no TDs.

That is flat out a ginormous bust especially when you look at what other receivers have done like Michael Thomas.

When you are a first round pick, and you collect first round paychecks (he has made more money than Diggs since he arrived), then there are expectations that come with being afforded that position.

It is nice to hear he is working hard and all of that jazz but so is Cayleb Jones on the practice squad.  Is his story not as inspiring?

If the Vikings cut him before June 1st they take a 5.870 mil cap hit this year.  If they manage to trade him (7th round pick if they are lucky) they take a 2.712 mil cap hit.

If they cut him next year before June 1st they take a 3.161 mil cap hit.

This dude is going to most likely take up another roster spot this year.  I am still at a loss as to why he played 45% of the snaps and Jarius Wright only played 23%.  Obviously, Treadwell is behind Thielen and Wright behind Diggs.

We can only hope that whomever is doing the scouting on receivers refrains from making those picks in the first round and stick to picks in the 5th round or later.  Perhaps Stacy Coley and Cayleb Jones will step up?

The only hope is that Treadwell makes some amazing jump in his 3rd season which is often when receivers make a jump.

But what would be considered a jump?  The dude has done NOTHING so the bar is at the bottom.

If he catches 30 or 40 passes and scores 2 or 3 TDs then there will be some who will say he has turned the corner.  Those numbers would still be awful for a dude collecting first round paychecks.
Yeah, the part about him working hard might be because he realizes he doesn’t have the physical talent.  He’s tryimg to make up for it but I don’t that he’ll be able to.  He has to become a supreme route runner to get himself open.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
He doesn't need a mentor, he needs to open his ears and listen to the coaches...
Beat me to it...Where's the position coach in all of this?  Patterson and Treadwell, both so frustrating. 
Tough to blame the position coach when you have Diggs and Thielen.
I listen to Zimmer's comments where he's blaming Treadwell for running stairs and not practicing right, but shouldn't the position coach refocus him on the stuff he should be doing to actually get better?  It didn't really sound like he was saying Treadwell wasn't listening to his coaches or anything.

Quote: @medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
He doesn't need a mentor, he needs to open his ears and listen to the coaches...
Beat me to it...Where's the position coach in all of this?  Patterson and Treadwell, both so frustrating. 
I listen to Zimmer's comments where he's blaming Treadwell for running stairs and not practicing right, but shouldn't the position coach refocus him on the stuff he should be doing to actually get better?  It didn't really sound like he was saying Treadwell wasn't listening to his coaches or anything.
The position coach is only able to so much.

I bet the receivers coach for the Saints looks like a great coach having Michael Thomas.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

he isnt a guy that is going to be running wide open very often, but that doesnt mean he isnt open.  a confident accurate QB will get him the ball more often.  There were quite a few times that he was open that Case never even looked his way,  he would stay locked onto AT or Diggs and ignore the rest of the field... sometimes it worked,  sometimes it didnt and we need whoever it is to spread the ball around more often.  the production to snaps differential is brought up between Treadwell and JW,  but JW is often brough in for scripted plays that are designed to get him the ball,  he should see better productions per snap.  Kind of like 2 years ago when everybody was going gaga for Hunter and thought BRob should be sent to pasture... there is a big difference when you are the full time guy vs the one that makes an appearance once in a while.
First, it's been talked about many times on this board regarding how confident Case was in giving his WRs a chance to make a play on the ball.  Second, when given the chance, LT didn't make those catches.  His catch rate and catchable catch rate both rank last out of Diggs, Thielen, and Wright.  His contested catch rate ranked 3rd, ahead of Thielen.  It seemed half the time he was trying more for the pass interference call than actually attempting to catch the ball.

I'm hoping that we can trade him for possibly a CB project whom Zimmer can work his magic on.

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:

he isnt a guy that is going to be running wide open very often, but that doesnt mean he isnt open.  a confident accurate QB will get him the ball more often.  There were quite a few times that he was open that Case never even looked his way,  he would stay locked onto AT or Diggs and ignore the rest of the field... sometimes it worked,  sometimes it didnt and we need whoever it is to spread the ball around more often.  the production to snaps differential is brought up between Treadwell and JW,  but JW is often brough in for scripted plays that are designed to get him the ball,  he should see better productions per snap.  Kind of like 2 years ago when everybody was going gaga for Hunter and thought BRob should be sent to pasture... there is a big difference when you are the full time guy vs the one that makes an appearance once in a while.
First, it's been talked about many times on this board regarding how confident Case was in giving his WRs a chance to make a play on the ball.  Second, when given the chance, LT didn't make those catches.  His catch rate and catchable catch rate both rank last out of Diggs, Thielen, and Wright.  His contested catch rate ranked 3rd, ahead of Thielen.  It seemed half the time he was trying more for the pass interference call than actually attempting to catch the ball.

I'm hoping that we can trade him for possibly a CB project whom Zimmer can work his magic on.
I'm in agreement that he lacks the quicks to play in The NFL, and we pretty much all saw that leading up to The Draft.  The hope was his leg would get better, and he would get quicker.  In retrospect, its a terrible pick - especially in comparison to this year's draft where a guy like LT is a 4-5th round guy, at best.

The year he was drafted was The Worst Draft for WRs I've ever seen, and it was also THE position of (alleged) glaring need for the team.  They should have traded down, and drafted a couple of developable olinemen.

I still like his effort and blocking, and he does have good hands, but he is easy to cover, and we don't have a QB who delivers lasers to the back shoulder like an Aaron Rogers.

Quote: @kahsmick said:
@SFVikingFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I'm in agreement that he lacks the quicks to play in The NFL, and we pretty much all saw that leading up to The Draft.  The hope was his leg would get better, and he would get quicker.  In retrospect, its a terrible pick - especially in comparison to this year's draft where a guy like LT is a 4-5th round guy, at best.

The year he was drafted was The Worst Draft for WRs I've ever seen, and it was also THE position of (alleged) glaring need for the team.  They should have traded down, and drafted a couple of developable olinemen.

I still like his effort and blocking, and he does have good hands, but he is easy to cover, and we don't have a QB who delivers lasers to the back shoulder like an Aaron Rogers.
fixed it for ya!  B) 

but I do think a better armed QB that is willing to throw receivers open in tight spaces would be able to utilize Treadwell better than Case was able to last year. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
and a new position coach...

If you are a QB why would you throw to a mostly covered Treadwell when you can throw to Theilen, Diggs, Rudolph, Cook/McKinnon.  Likelihood is not only is he a 4th or 5th read but he will get few chances to earn the trust needed to elevate above those guys in the pecking order.  He's going to have to make a big play/impression with one of his few opportunities to get extra attention.

Quote: @NodakViking said:
If you are a QB why would you throw to a mostly covered Treadwell when you can throw to Theilen, Diggs, Rudolph, Cook/McKinnon.  Likelihood is not only is he a 4th or 5th read but he will get few chances to earn the trust needed to elevate above those guys in the pecking order.  He's going to have to make a big play/impression with one of his few opportunities to get extra attention.
I would argue that by nfl standards he wasnt covered as often as some want to make him sound.  just because there is a man there doesnt mean hes covered.  with Treadwells catch radius and body size any defender on his back is out of the play on routes coming back to the QB or cutting inside.   if the QBs that threw to Carter considered him covered with what Treadwell is seeing then CC would be a footnote in the league, not HOF.   get an accurate, confident QB and see how much better our offense will look when the QB uses all of it.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@NodakViking said:
I would argue that by nfl standards he wasnt covered as often as some want to make him sound.  just because there is a man there doesnt mean hes covered.  with Treadwells catch radius and body size any defender on his back is out of the play on routes coming back to the QB or cutting inside.   if the QBs that threw to Carter considered him covered with what Treadwell is seeing then CC would be a footnote in the league, not HOF.   get an accurate, confident QB and see how much better our offense will look when the QB uses all of it.

But at some point throwing to  covered Treadwell is going to have to feel like a better option to whichever QB than throwing to a covered AT, Diggs, or Rudolph.