Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer on Treadwell
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/cat...umor-mill/

Wide receiver Laquon Treadwell was the 23rd overall pick of the 2016 NFL Draft. Despite his first-round selection by the Minnesota Vikings, Treadwell has struggled to be productive through his first two seasons in the NFL.
Speaking at the NFL Combine on Thursday, Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer said that Treadwell needs to stop incurring the self-inflicted problems that have plagued him through the first two seasons.
Laquon needs to get out of his own way,” Zimmer said, via the Daily Norseman. “He’s a guy that works extremely hard, probably doesn’t do things the right way all the time. We’ll be in training camp and he’ll run the stadium steps at night, which is not helping for practice the next day. But he thinks he’s trying to get better; he’s trying to get better. He’s just going about it the wrong way. He needs to get out of his own way and let this thing play out.”
After having just one catch as a rookie, Treadwell caught just 20 passes for 200 yards in year two as Adam Thelien and Stefon Diggs were the primary targets for Case Keenum and Sam Bradford throughout the season. Jarius Wright had 18 catches for 198 yards and two touchdowns despite playing half the snaps on offense (254 to 500) that Treadwell did last season.
The good news is that Treadwell isn’t falling short for lack of effort. Wide receivers moving from college to the pros can run into issues making the transition as well. The Vikings will have to hope that Treadwell can find a better means of channeling his effort in hopes of living up to his status as a former first-round pick.

"Laquon needs to get out of his own way,” Zimmer said, via the Daily Norseman. “He’s a guy that works extremely hard, probably doesn’t do things the right way all the time. We’ll be in training camp and he’ll run the stadium steps at night, which is not helping for practice the next day. But he thinks he’s trying to get better; he’s trying to get better. He’s just going about it the wrong way. He needs to get out of his own way and let this thing play out.”
Ouch....

Quote: @prairieghost said:
"Laquon needs to get out of his own way,” Zimmer said, via the Daily Norseman. “He’s a guy that works extremely hard, probably doesn’t do things the right way all the time. We’ll be in training camp and he’ll run the stadium steps at night, which is not helping for practice the next day. But he thinks he’s trying to get better; he’s trying to get better. He’s just going about it the wrong way. He needs to get out of his own way and let this thing play out.”
Ouch....

No kidding.  Sounds like the kid gloves are officially removed.

Treadwell SUCKS.  The sooner we can realize this and let go of the belief that he will turn it around because he was a 1st round draft pick, the better.

I still don't think he will be on the opening day roster this fall.

its refreshing to hear that the kid is struggling because he wants it to much and is hampering his own development because of working to hard or to much.  I dont know how anybody could not be rooting for the kid to turn the corner just from the human interest stand point.  yes he was a first rounder that has stuggled,  but its not because he is fucking off or focusing his attention to other interest... hes just pressing himself to much.   the kid needs a mentor the way it sounds to me.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
its refreshing to hear that the kid is struggling because he wants it to much and is hampering his own development because of working to hard or to much.  I dont know how anybody could not be rooting for the kid to turn the corner just from the human interest stand point.  yes he was a first rounder that has stuggled,  but its not because he is fucking off or focusing his attention to other interest... hes just pressing himself to much.   the kid needs a mentor the way it sounds to me.
I'll agree that it sounds like he is trying, and I am not rooting for the kid to fail, but at the same time he has shown absolutely NOTHING so far to justify still being on the team IMO.  The only thing protecting his roster spot is his draft position.  And because of that, he's taking a roster spot away from some other young man, who probably tries just as hard and who is probably a good guy as well.  Except that guy might be more deserving of the roster spot, he's just screwed out of his dream to play in the NFL because he wasn't drafted as high as LT.

And I thought LT had mentors last year in our WR group, who taught him how to "compete at the NFL level".  Not to mention, Cris Carter worked with him during his last season at Ole Miss and after he was drafted by the Vikings.  I'm sorry, but that's all just starting to sound like a bunch of BS to me, like Williamson with his vision exercises and special contacts from Nike to help with depth perception.

Because he wasn't their pick.  Funny how some get so caught up in their own picks.

I hope he does figure it out.  He is a viking, so I am pulling for him.  And yes, sounds like a good kid, just trying too hard.

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I'll agree that it sounds like he is trying, and I am not rooting for the kid to fail, but at the same time he has shown absolutely NOTHING so far to justify still being on the team IMO.  The only thing protecting his roster spot is his draft position.  And because of that, he's taking a roster spot away from some other young man, who probably tries just as hard and who is probably a good guy as well.  Except that guy might be more deserving of the roster spot, he's just screwed out of his dream to play in the NFL because he wasn't drafted as high as LT.

And I thought LT had mentors last year in our WR group, who taught him how to "compete at the NFL level".  Not to mention, Cris Carter worked with him during his last season at Ole Miss and after he was drafted by the Vikings.  I'm sorry, but that's all just starting to sound like a bunch of BS to me, like Williamson with his vision exercises and special contacts from Nike to help with depth perception.
I think he needs a mentor to show him how to push away from the game when he needs to.  he needs a fishing buddy or something,  somebody that maybe isnt his competition for a roster spot and somebody that will have a good influence on him both in the locker room and away.  I think he can be a good player for us,  maybe never live up to the first round billing,  but those are sunk costs at this point.  As far as him holding back others... I have my doubts on that.  we havent lost anybody that has looked worth a shit because of Treadwell.

@SFVikingFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I think he needs a mentor to show him how to push away from the game when he needs to.  he needs a fishing buddy or something,  somebody that maybe isnt his competition for a roster spot and somebody that will have a good influence on him both in the locker room and away.  I think he can be a good player for us,  maybe never live up to the first round billing,  but those are sunk costs at this point.  As far as him holding back others... I have my doubts on that.  we havent lost anybody that has looked worth a shit because of Treadwell.
We still have Adams and Coley, and they weren't close to pushing Treadwell out. 

Maybe BRob can take him fishing, he seemed interested in his set the hook sack celebration last year.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikingFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:

We still have Adams and Coley, and they weren't close to pushing Treadwell out. 

Maybe BRob can take him fishing, he seemed interested in his set the hook sack celebration last year.
maybe,  maybe I am misreading him and am completely full of shit.  but I saw a guy that looked like he wants this in such a bad way and it looked like his life was pretty grounded with his little girl.  maybe he isnt what I think he is, but I have no reason not to really want it bad for this kid to succeed not only as a receiver for my favorite team, but just for him.