Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Any tech savvy/home entertainment people here?
I have a Pioneer VSX90 AVR that upscales to my xbr940c sony. I have one HDMI from the receiver that runs to the HDMI 2.0 on the TV and the 4k image works perfectly. The issue here is that the default setting through the receiver is not set to 4k unless you access it through pioneers set up. There should be an app that you can download for the AVR that shows you video feed in and out of the receiver along with audio settings. I use this app (which is accessed through your smart phone) to check my audio feeds whenever dolby atmos is available, etc. I would download the app from the app store, which is called icontrolAV5 for my receiver and probably the same for yours, and make sure your video feeds are going in and out in 4k. Some pioneer receivers only offer 4k passthrough and not upscaling, make sure your receiver is allowing the 4k  signal to get through or upscaling to it. Also, make sure you are using a 3d or 4k capcable hdmi cable that runs 18GB per second from your receiver to the TV, a bottleneck there is the worst place to have your worst cable. As someone who dealt with this when I purchased my new AV stuff last year, I know how frustrating it can be to try and get this to work properly with all the software BS and settings you need to go through for the best picture.

Quote: @quattrovike said:
I have a Pioneer VSX90 AVR that upscales to my xbr940c sony. I have one HDMI from the receiver that runs to the HDMI 2.0 on the TV and the 4k image works perfectly. The issue here is that the default setting through the receiver is not set to 4k unless you access it through pioneers set up. There should be an app that you can download for the AVR that shows you video feed in and out of the receiver along with audio settings. I use this app (which is accessed through your smart phone) to check my audio feeds whenever dolby atmos is available, etc. I would download the app from the app store, which is called icontrolAV5 for my receiver and probably the same for yours, and make sure your video feeds are going in and out in 4k. Some pioneer receivers only offer 4k passthrough and not upscaling, make sure your receiver is allowing the 4k  signal to get through or upscaling to it. Also, make sure you are using a 3d or 4k capcable hdmi cable that runs 18GB per second from your receiver to the TV, a bottleneck there is the worst place to have your worst cable. As someone who dealt with this when I purchased my new AV stuff last year, I know how frustrating it can be to try and get this to work properly with all the software BS and settings you need to go through for the best picture.
Interesting! I'm heading to work now but will give this a shot when I'm home tonight. I might PM you later on...

Thanks man.

I used the HDMI cable that came with my Wii U to do 4k/60hz out of my PC, as well as a generic $5 Amazon Basics cable. It pumps out 4k/60hz fine. 

Probably not working because of the HDMI cables. For 4K and 4K/HDR, you need to have high bandwidth cables with HDCP 2.2 to display some source material. Note that "high bandwidth" doesn't equate to "expensive". Also note that you will need to use these cables from the Apple TV to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV.

This is the cable I used for my 4K set-up.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115428-...B01GCGKI3O

Quote: @lakeerievike said:
https://www.lifewire.com/this-is-why-app...4k-4074142
That article is from 6/2017 and talks about why the original Apple TV doesn't play 4K video.

The Apple TV 4K was released in 9/2017 and does play 4K video.

KB, I am invested in this dilemma. What was the outcome lol

Quote: @Canthony said:

Ha ha! Forget about which QB will steering the Viking ship in 18'. 

"Like sand in an hour glass".......

Hope you got your gear to work King. It can get frustrating. Everything has to be on the same network, all cables compliant, all the gear able to do what you want, everything set up correctly in the menus, etc. etc.

It is, however, an addicting hobby. Buckle up!

Quote: @grpape said:
@Canthony said:

Ha ha! Forget about which QB will steering the Viking ship in 18'. 

"Like sand in an hour glass".......

Hope you got your gear to work King. It can get frustrating. Everything has to be on the same network, all cables compliant, all the gear able to do what you want, everything set up correctly in the menus, etc. etc.

It is, however, an addicting hobby. Buckle up!

Sorry sorry, work has been a disaster. Don't fret, sir. This is a project that will be tackled, but most likely this weekend...