Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Awarded 2 Compensatory Picks in 2018 NFL Draft
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Awarded-2-Compensatory-Picks-in-2018-NFL-Draft/b3236f9d-785e-4794-a2f0-dc42eaa836c1

Vikings Awarded 2 Compensatory Picks in 2018 NFL Draft

Eden Prairie, MN (February 23, 2018) – The Minnesota Vikings have been awarded two compensatory picks in the 2018 NFL draft, the NFL announced today. The two picks, both in Round 6, bring the Vikings total draft picks in 2018 to seven. Minnesota holds the 30th pick in the first round.  Vikings 2018 Draft Picks
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 5
Round 6
Round 6 Compensatory Pick
Round 6 Compensatory Pick

I hope Rick does not start trading back for the sake of accumulating 10 picks. We are not in rebuilding mode.  I am not against trading back a few spots if they are pretty certain they can still get the guy they want. But we are in quality over quantity mode now.

Its not exactly a stacked deck to work with.  I don't see a trade coming, so this is probably it.
If they get 3 of their top 50, it's A Win.  It does appear to be a deep, even draft through three rounds.

And our friends the Packers? Received FOUR...count 'em FOUR.

that gives them 12 selections in the draft.

whoever figures this shit out must be a damn Packer fan

Don't know why Viking fans ALWAYS revert to "conspiracy" theories when it comes to these compensatory picks. 

If a team LOSES more free agents than they GAIN, they are awarded draft picks, based on what OTHER TEAMS DO. If a team GAINS more free agents than they LOSE, they get nothing.

Only 32 comp picks can be awarded each year, thus there may be SOME loss's that appear to warrant compensation, but are surpassed by a more worthy loss. 

Bottom line : The teams that USUALLY get CDP's are one of the following:

Bad teams that can't sign top talent and can't keep top talent once they qualify for free agency (i.e Cleveland)

Teams that are consistently in the playoffs, and draft judiciously and/or have A FUCKING QB IN PLACE (NE, Packers, Steelers, Seahawks, etc.)

Teams that find themselves in bad salary cap position and CAN'T sign FA's to offset their FA losses. (Dallas, NYG, Arizona)

The reason the Vikings have their first compensatory picks in 5-6 years, is that Saint Ricky has historically spent MORE on free agency players than he has lost....pretty straight forward.

Now all he has to do is get 3 Seventh round selections in this draft to reach the "ALMIGHTY 10" draft picks.... that's worked out SOOOO WELL....2 playoff wins in 12 seasons is mighty impressive.

Rick should trade both 6th round picks for 4th and call it a day.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
All 3 of our 6th rounders wouldn't equal a decent 4th. Maybe 3 would slide is in at the end of the 4th.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@ArizonaViking said:
All 3 of our 6th rounders wouldn't equal a decent 4th. Maybe 3 would slide is in at the end of the 4th.
It's just tiring to see Rick trading back and picking up multiple 6th and 7th round picks.  Just like to get maybe a decent player around the 4th round and move on.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@ArizonaViking said:
It's just tiring to see Rick trading back and picking up multiple 6th and 7th round picks.  Just like to get maybe a decent player around the 4th round and move on.
He traded up last year for cook and elf IIRC.  But yes,  I get tired of him trading out of good players for more chances of finding a diamond in the rough. 

But the roster is getting better every year so....

I thought you couldn't trade comp picks? I could be wrong.