Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeFilippo: When the Vikings want to talk, that's a whole different ballgame...
Vikings offensive coordinator John DeFilippo wants to put his mark on team's already-improved offenseTeam's talent and success sold DeFilippo on Vikings.The Vikings were not the first team to inquire this offseason about making Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo their new offensive coordinator. By the time they lost the NFC Championship Game to the Eagles, and they knew they'd need someone to fill the job after Pat Shurmur became the New York Giants head coach, they would have to wait until after the Super Bowl even to speak with DeFilippo.
But when coach Mike Zimmer and General Manager Rick Spielman sat down with DeFilippo in Philadelphia on Thursday night, hours after the Eagles celebrated their first Super Bowl championship with a parade down Broad Street, they knew they had his attention.
"There were a few other opportunities to be an offensive coordinator in the league — I'm not going to name names — but when the Minnesota Vikings want to talk to you, that's a whole different ballgame," DeFilippo said Friday. "As an offensive coach, I've never been more on edge game-planning for a defense than them the last two years."
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-offen...473617523/

DeFilippo demurred when asked which quarterback he has coached — from Derek Carr and Carson Wentz to Nick Foles and Josh McCown — best epitomized what he's looking for in his offense.
But he made it clear a few things are non-negotiable: character, decision-making ability, timing and accuracy. And, he said, his quarterbacks have to be athletic.
"I am not a big believer in quarterbacks that are sticks in the mud back there; they're in cement back there at 7½ yards deep," he said. "Our quarterbacks are going to need to show some form of athleticism, yes."

DeFilippo, who interviewed for the Chicago Bears head coaching job and had interest from the Indianapolis Colts for theirs, said he saw plenty to like about the group he'll inherit — starting with running back Dalvin Cook, whom DeFilippo said he "loved" in last year's draft, as well as the wide receivers, tight end Kyle Rudolph and an improved offensive line.
"All of those things were very, very enticing about the job, on top of just the team itself," he said.

I really think with the Wilfs as the owners Spielman as GM and Zim as Coach this organization is looked upon around the league as a stable first class franchise.  Every year of success only cements that reputation.

Yup.  First class franchise. First class Head Coach and GM.  First class Stadium and practice facility.  First class fans.  And an exciting football team. Feels good, doesnt it?

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
Yup.  First class franchise. First class Head Coach and GM.  First class Stadium and practice facility.  First class fans.  And an exciting football team. Feels good, doesnt it?
Yes it does   let's  break that dam curse  and I believe I know what happened to the Otis Thorpe trophy unfortunately no ideal were it is today

Feeling better and better about the Vikings choice of him for the OC job.

Go VIKINGS! 

I am very surprised they got him.  A great replacement for Shumar.  Smart move by the Rick team.
I cant waaaaiiiit to find out who they pick as QB.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
DeFilippo demurred when asked which quarterback he has coached — from Derek Carr and Carson Wentz to Nick Foles and Josh McCown — best epitomized what he's looking for in his offense.
But he made it clear a few things are non-negotiable: character, decision-making ability, timing and accuracy. And, he said, his quarterbacks have to be athletic.
"I am not a big believer in quarterbacks that are sticks in the mud back there; they're in cement back there at 7½ yards deep," he said. "Our quarterbacks are going to need to show some form of athleticism, yes."
To me this takes Bradford out of the equation... He's not exactly mobile any longer...

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
still last place superbowls though