Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB aside, who on the roster do you see getting the next big $$ contract?
Barr?

Probably Barr. That would be the next one up.

I would lean towards one of our in-house QBs if we don't pursue Cousins.  I'm sure we'll see extensions for Diggs, Kendricks, and Hunter at some point this offseason, but those contracts won't be addressed until we decide on a QB.

And I need more coffee because I completely glossed over the "QB aside..." part of the title.  LOL
Sorry about the PF.

4 key players are going into their contract year, and I'm sure Spielman would like to lock all of them up before they get close to free agency. My ranking of likelihood to sign a deal before the 2018 season starts:

1. Kendricks: I think Zimmer sees him - rightly - as the heart of the defense and possibly the most irreplaceable.

2. Barr: I assume Spielman will try to sew him up before his 5th year starts, as he did with Smith and Rhodes, but it has always seemed like Barr might want to leave. His agent might push him to go to a 3-4 team and tell him he will be the next Von Miller. Signing Kendricks first might help convince Barr to stay here.

3. Diggs: How much did The Miracle earn for him? Before that catch, I
think the Vikings had more leverage to say that his stats don't back up
the idea he deserves "elite WR" money. It's a bit harder for them to
risk losing him now that he is a Minnesota Legend. He's getting tons of media attention and that might go to his head. OTOH, he'll be playing for only $700K this year if he doesn't sign an extension, so an offer that makes him a multi-millionaire is going to be really tempting.

4. Hunter: He and his agent probably hoped starting full-time would produce a 20-sack season and put him in position for a mega-contract. But instead he is coming off a bit of a down year, so he might not sign an extension if the Vikings just offer mid-level DE money. It seems like the Vikings are good at developing DEs and have some in the pipeline, so they should be able to hang tough - but Zimmer has been hesitant to test the young DLs, so he could push the FO to give Hunter what he wants. I think this will be the one most likely to drag out or not get done before next year.

In 2017, the 4 players above accounted for less than $7M in cap space - combined. If they all got new deals, they could total $40-$50M...pretty big jump. Easy to see why McKinnon isn't really hoping to get a new deal here.

Even factoring the QB position... I think the next big money goes to one of the LBs.   I dont think any of our QBs has earned big guaranteed money.   Sure the flash number on the next QB contract might be big,  but I have to think it will be tied to a lot of incentives with modest amounts guaranteed.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
4 key players are going into their contract year, and I'm sure Spielman would like to lock all of them up before they get close to free agency. My ranking of likelihood to sign a deal before the 2018 season starts:

1. Kendricks: I think Zimmer sees him - rightly - as the heart of the defense and possibly the most irreplaceable.

2. Barr: I assume Spielman will try to sew him up before his 5th year starts, as he did with Smith and Rhodes, but it has always seemed like Barr might want to leave. His agent might push him to go to a 3-4 team and tell him he will be the next Von Miller. Signing Kendricks first might help convince Barr to stay here.

risk losing him now that he is a Minnesota Legend. He's getting tons of media attention and that might go to his head. OTOH, he'll be playing for only $700K this year if he doesn't sign an extension, so an offer that makes him a multi-millionaire is going to be really tempting.

4. Hunter: He and his agent probably hoped starting full-time would produce a 20-sack season and put him in position for a mega-contract. But instead he is coming off a bit of a down year, so he might not sign an extension if the Vikings just offer mid-level DE money. It seems like the Vikings are good at developing DEs and have some in the pipeline, so they should be able to hang tough - but Zimmer has been hesitant to test the young DLs, so he could push the FO to give Hunter what he wants. I think this will be the one most likely to drag out or not get done before next year.

In 2017, the 4 players above accounted for less than $7M in cap space - combined. If they all got new deals, they could total $40-$50M...pretty big jump. Easy to see why McKinnon isn't really hoping to get a new deal here.
Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has thought this about Barr. I get the same vibe about him. I also feel like of these 4 he's easily the one I'd least mind losing.
Agree about Diggs. He's gotten a taste of fame but I think he also knows that what got him that chance this year was his relatively healthy status throughout the season. He has to solve the "stay healthy" puzzle. I do think some of that is on him. He's very talented and a very smart player but one does wonder if he's conditioning his body the way he should be to help with his durability. All that aside, I would hope the Vikings pony up for him. Surely they don't want to see Treadwell lined up across from Thielen on a regular basis.
I also agree about Kendricks. To me he is by far one of our best players. I wish we could turn back time on Robison because he's right there too. Neither of those guys are spotlight players but they are smart and they are TEAM guys and that's what I love about them. I would put Harrison in that group as well.

Quote: @prairieghost said:
@Jor-El said:

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has thought this about Barr. I get the same vibe about him. I also feel like of these 4 he's easily the one I'd least mind losing.
Agree about Diggs. He's gotten a taste of fame but I think he also knows that what got him that chance this year was his relatively healthy status throughout the season. He has to solve the "stay healthy" puzzle. I do think some of that is on him. He's very talented and a very smart player but one does wonder if he's conditioning his body the way he should be to help with his durability. All that aside, I would hope the Vikings pony up for him. Surely they don't want to see Treadwell lined up across from Thielen on a regular basis.
I also agree about Kendricks. To me he is by far one of our best players. I wish we could turn back time on Robison because he's right there too. Neither of those guys are spotlight players but they are smart and they are TEAM guys and that's what I love about them. I would put Harrison in that group as well.

Barr wants to be here FWIW. 

I wonder if the Vikings will want to pay two linebackers close to 10 mil each?

If they don't then they have to make a move.
The Patriots traded Jamie Collins Oct 31, 2016 for a 3rd round pick because he was going to be too expensive to keep.

They decided to extend Hightower instead. Hightower got a 4 year 35.5 mil deal on March 15, 2017.

They wisely traded for Kyle Van Noy on Oct 26, 2016 picking him up
only for a swap of their 6th round pick for the Lions 7th round pick.
He is really playing well for them in his first full season after not
doing much with the Lions.

Is he an equal to Collins? Maybe? He has had a better year this
year but Collins got hurt in November and only played in 6 games.

Van Noy signed a 2 year 11.757 mil deal in Sept.

Barr is
going to get 12.3 mil next year and it becomes guaranteed when the new
league year begins.

Barr has 283 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 20 passes defended, and 1 interception.

Telvin Smith has 452 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 24 passes defended, and 7 interceptions in four seasons.
Smith signed a 4 year 45 mil deal.  Is Barr worth that much?

If the Vikings decided to move Barr then I am guessing they probably would get a high 3rd (Raiders or 49ers) based on the Jamie
Collins trade.
The only reason to move him would be from a salary cap perspective and the 12.3 mil saved would have to be used on a replacement.  Maybe Nigel Bradham or Zach Brown?
Tough decision for the team but they likely will face decisions like who to pay very soon.

I would give Hunter a 5 yr 65 mil deal with 48 mil guaranteed and a signing bonus of 20 mil based off the Jason Pierre-Paul deal.

I would give Diggs a 4 year 45 mil deal with 22 mil guaranteed and a signing bonus of 8 mil based off the Keenan Allen deal whom they are very close statistically after 3 seasons.
I would wait on Kendricks.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
I wonder if the Vikings will want to pay two linebackers close to 10 mil each?

If they don't then they have to make a move.
The Patriots traded Jamie Collins Oct 31, 2016 for a 3rd round pick because he was going to be too expensive to keep.

They decided to extend Hightower instead. Hightower got a 4 year 35.5 mil deal on March 15, 2017.

They wisely traded for Kyle Van Noy on Oct 26, 2016 picking him up
only for a swap of their 6th round pick for the Lions 7th round pick.
He is really playing well for them in his first full season after not
doing much with the Lions.

Is he an equal to Collins? Maybe? He has had a better year this
year but Collins got hurt in November and only played in 6 games.

Van Noy signed a 2 year 11.757 mil deal in Sept.

Barr is
going to get 12.3 mil next year and it becomes guaranteed when the new
league year begins.

Barr has 283 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 20 passes defended, and 1 interception.

Telvin Smith has 452 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 24 passes defended, and 7 interceptions in four seasons.
Smith signed a 4 year 45 mil deal.  Is Barr worth that much?

If the Vikings decided to move Barr then I am guessing they probably would get a high 3rd (Raiders or 49ers) based on the Jamie
Collins trade.
The only reason to move him would be from a salary cap perspective and the 12.3 mil saved would have to be used on a replacement.  Maybe Nigel Bradham or Zach Brown?
Tough decision for the team but they likely will face decisions like who to pay very soon.

I would give Hunter a 5 yr 65 mil deal with 48 mil guaranteed and a signing bonus of 20 mil based off the Jason Pierre-Paul deal.

I would give Diggs a 4 year 45 mil deal with 22 mil guaranteed and a signing bonus of 8 mil based off the Keenan Allen deal whom they are very close statistically after 3 seasons.
I would wait on Kendricks.
Barr is what makes the Vikings defense work. Look at it this way, he's the Vikings Alvin Kamara but on the defensive side of the ball. A complete X factor who can do everything fairly well. Trading him would be a mistake. He'll get an extension but he won't be paid like an edge rushing OLB. He'll be closer to Telvin Smith.