Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One more CG Thread: Can someone explain to me why we couldn't beat Eagle Slants?
Sorry, that Eagle loss and collapse of the D gave gave me pause and harkened me back to 70's SB's. 

Those RPO slants killed the Falcons the week before the CG. Why did Waynes and XR not play those differently technique wise? I get getting beat by a trick play here or there, but Zimmer got taken to the woodshed by the Eagles staff - and Vikings fans got #6 CG loss in a row. 

Ross Tucker said the exact same thing on Barriero's radio show this week. How could you not go into this game and take the slant routes away from Foles when that is his favorite throw to make? It defies any logical explanation and we will be haunted by this for years trying to figure it out. 

We were mentally exhausted from the last second win the week before. It seems we had shut down at halftime of the Staints game when Brees suddenly started making any pass he wanted and our O went into conservative mode, but, whatever?

We came out on O and drove it down their throats then our O sat on the bench after Case threw the int. Our D sat on the bench after the blocked punt. Our team just went into shutdown mode and suddenly we played leslie Frasier cover-2 off coverage (so we weren't pressing the RPO slants) and our game plan was shot. If you looked at our sideline, our entire team looked tired and sold by the middle of the 2nd quarter. It was a joke that we just couldn't adjust to or recover from.

We should be here this weekend. This is pretty disappointing. Our team looked hurt, tired, and distant. They just weren't in Philly mentally for the game after the first series. 

We got owned and it was very obvious that the team had a major hangover from the dramatic win the week before.

To keep it simple, the Vikings game plan didn't account for Foles' ability to throw the ball 15 yards + down the field. The Eagles hadn't hit anything past that for weeks and Peterson devised a game plan to give Foles the opportunity to air it out when nobody else expected it. The slants became more of an issue once the Vikings were trying to adjust their game plan on the fly. You can't expect Xavier or Trae to get inside leverage of Jeffery, the LB has to get underneath it. Once Barr came out of the game due to his injury the exploited that. It all comes down to a good game plan and play calling by Peterson. 

The takeaway from the game is that the Vikings had a very poor defensive game plan when it mattered the most. But, if you go back and watch the Eagles offense since Wentz went down they'd been a very horizontal unit that tried to get RAC yardage. There is no way you would guess their approach would be to test the Vikings vertically all day long. 

That game wasn't just a fluke. The year before the Eagles had a better game plan than the Vikings and Zimmer couldn't adjust. 

Quote: @Norse said:
That game wasn't just a fluke. The year before the Eagles had a better game plan than the Vikings and Zimmer couldn't adjust. 
Yep.   Outcoached on all levels.  Pregame, game and probably post game... although I didn’t watch any post game stuff.  

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
@Norse said:
Yep.   Outcoached on all levels.  Pregame, game and probably post game... although I didn’t watch any post game stuff.  
if you made it through the whole game you did better then i. 

Since no one else mentioned it: the slants were the product of the Eagle's "RPO" (Run - Pass Option) plays, where the QB has the option of handing the ball to the RB or throwing it.  In essence, it is a play-action pass, designed to force the LB's to stay in the box and defend the run.  At that point, the slant becomes "wide open".  If we keep our LB's back in the passing lanes, then the QB hands off.  The way *I* would've defended it would've been to play man defense and line our CBs up on the inside of the WR's- in effect taking away the slant (but giving up any kind of "out" route).  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
To keep it simple, the Vikings game plan didn't account for Foles' ability to throw the ball 15 yards + down the field. The Eagles hadn't hit anything past that for weeks and Peterson devised a game plan to give Foles the opportunity to air it out when nobody else expected it. The slants became more of an issue once the Vikings were trying to adjust their game plan on the fly. You can't expect Xavier or Trae to get inside leverage of Jeffery, the LB has to get underneath it. Once Barr came out of the game due to his injury the exploited that. It all comes down to a good game plan and play calling by Peterson. 

The takeaway from the game is that the Vikings had a very poor defensive game plan when it mattered the most. But, if you go back and watch the Eagles offense since Wentz went down they'd been a very horizontal unit that tried to get RAC yardage. There is no way you would guess their approach would be to test the Vikings vertically all day long. 
This is what I have been saying as well.  It wasn't the RPO slants that killed us, it was the double moves that took advantage of our game plan to take those short throws away.  Peterson had Foles take some shots and it caught us completely off guard.  Have to hand it too them, they outschemed us.  Partly because we lost a step after the pick 6 and the Eagles got bolder.