Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Chicken or the egg?
Do you pick a Offensive Coordinator to fit your QB or do you pick your Qb to fit your coordinator?

It feels like the Vikings arent really sure what to do with their Qb situation.  Zimmer would probably like to pick Teddy but he knows the walking away from a Qb who led you through a 14-4 season is going to be a hard to sell, even to himself. No matter which path they pick, what happens when the one they let walk has success and the one they picked ends up 9-7 and doesnt make the playoffs?

I’m surprised they find themselves in this situation. The leadership has normally been strong and decisive and now it seems that they are punting the decision down the road. 

I hope that OC picks the right guy or he may be the first person out the door if it all falls apart.

If it were really as simple as saying Case was the reason they were 14-4 the decision would be simple,  but he wasn't so it isnt.  I agree this is one of the toughest decisions I can recall a Vikings GM having to make.  There is also the contractual demands of each possible QB to factor in as well.  It might not come down to who we want to keep,  but at what cost are we willing to keep them.

I think the Vikings have talked it thru and know which direction they want to go, but there's really not a rush. And the rumor was the O-coordinator would be named sometime early this week....might be today or tomorrow. Fans are impatient, this isn't some lack of leadership, its due process. Business operations continue to go on for the franchise outside this decision. I think they are going to hire Stefanski, so I'm sure they've solicited his input. I'm not sure a hire outside the organization would have any decent insight to the QB situation as they haven't been intimately involved, other than an observational opinion.

I'm not worried about due diligence and imo the OC needs to be in place here first since it's the Vikings and of course they're looking for a starting qb. 

I'm with you Sticky, I think it will be Stefanski with a "more tenured" passing coordinator of some kind. 

Maybe they can talk Chilly out of retirement. 

I don't think there is any kind of leadership issue. They know what they want to do and will say it when they deem necessary and not before. The window is open and they have to make the most of it.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
If it were really as simple as saying Case was the reason they were 14-4 the decision would be simple,  but he wasn't so it isnt.  I agree this is one of the toughest decisions I can recall a Vikings GM having to make.  There is also the contractual demands of each possible QB to factor in as well.  It might not come down to who we want to keep,  but at what cost are we willing to keep them.
I never once said, nor implied that Case was the reason they were 14-4.  Go back and look again.

If you have to ask the question, then it automatically means you pick the OC first because your QB isn't clearly better than his peers.  Practically speaking, all teams will decide on their OC not too far into the future, probably shortly after the SB when the coordinators are available and no team will be signing players dramatically before the FA start deadline because why would you?  Maybe your QB decides to kick down a door in the next couple months and fucks his foot up and then you're anchored to that guy who's not going to be able to play or he gets a botched offseason surgery that ends his career.  (You can't make this shit up)  Regardless they'll pick the OC first.

Also, lets give credit to the "leadership" that we're in this position of having 3 starting caliber QBs to choose from (or if you don't like the QBs, that we've made the playoffs 2 of 3 years with deadweight QBs,  Smile )

Quote: @Poiple said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I never once said, nor implied that Case was the reason they were 14-4.  Go back and look again.
couldnt it be interpreted as such when you say he "led" the team to a 14-4 record?  that is how I would interpret that statement.

Quote: @Poiple said:
Do you pick a Offensive Coordinator to fit your QB or do you pick your Qb to fit your coordinator?

It feels like the Vikings arent really sure what to do with their Qb situation.  Zimmer would probably like to pick Teddy but he knows the walking away from a Qb who led you through a 14-4 season is going to be a hard to sell, even to himself. No matter which path they pick, what happens when the one they let walk has success and the one they picked ends up 9-7 and doesnt make the playoffs?

I’m surprised they find themselves in this situation. The leadership has normally been strong and decisive and now it seems that they are punting the decision down the road. 

I hope that OC picks the right guy or he may be the first person out the door if it all falls apart.
how are they punting it down the road?  They are in this situation because the last OC was successful and got a promotion.  And at QB they are in a good spot really, they have 3 options.  None perfect, but one should be agreeable to the team.

Yeah, it's hardly "punting the decision down the road." It would be far more irresponsible to be reckless with a decision that will impact the franchise for years. They should take the opportunity to step back from the stress of the season and evaluate each QB objectively based on all their resources: coaches, salary cap, doctors, film, etc.  There are a lot of things to consider here beyond what Mike Zimmer thinks.