Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zulgad: Vikings likely to put their trust in Teddy
I think it's a default number wherein Shurmer knew before the season even started that if the team was up but X points at Y time of the game it was Ground & Pound the rest of the way.

The new OC will get the same formula and be expected to adhere to it. Zimmer just doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to decide what player is in which backup spot on Offense every week.

Of course QB is a different animal. Maybe he did make the call based on observed practices, gut feeling, etc. Without context though I just can't see how anyone can definitively state it means anything one way or the other that Sam was #2 for the mugging in Philly.

One would think that a good power structure would just discuss it when it happens.  Bradford was hurt, Teddy was available, so Teddy is the best option.  Bradford is healthy, Teddy is too, so they discuss who best suits the game plan, who is a better fit.

Or maybe Rick trumped them all and told his coaches that he traded picks for Bradford and was paying him too much money to be #3. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@StickyBun said:
@FSUVike said:
Or it might have meant that as soon as Bradford was cleared to practice again Shurmer lobbied for him to be the backup due to their long history together and Pat's short history with Teddy.
....and that was the right decision because he's a superior QB. Might be that, too. In fact, it is that. Zimmer has the final say. 
No doubt Bradford is the better QB. But why would Zimmer have final say on who the backup QB is instead of Shurmer? 

Seems like that would be robbing your OC of his authority and really micromanaging the Offense, which isn't exactly Mike's M.O.
He's the head coach. The buck stops with him in everything. He's the CEO of the team. You know better than that, but I guess that narrative doesn't fit your thought here. 

And good leaders know when to delegate.  But you know that.

t

Seriously good debate here. Geoff, do HCs usually decide who the backup QB is on a weekly basis? Does it being the Playoffs change things? 

I don't recall that I've ever heard it goes one way or the other. No brainer when the HC also calls the plays. But what about a defense minded guy? 

Does Carroll decide who Wilson's backup is? Or Tomlin with Big Ben? We know Bellicheat makes every decision about everything in NE. Is he the exception? 

Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@Zanary said:
I've seen a number of very recent articles stating that Teddy is still obviously favoring one knee...and knowing Zim's affection for the kid, seeing him deactivated in the playoffs was pretty sobering.
Complete B.S. I've never seen one article that said anything about him favoring his knee. He wouldn't have been allowed off of IR if that were the case. Z said he was 100% ready to go.

Yes, agreed it was sobering that he was deactivated, because that tells a story. And not a good one for Teddy. If as an organization you feel that the offense needs to be more dynamic and you don't feel that can happen with Keenum or Bridgewater, so be it. I've seen more excuse making for Teddy's deactivation on this board, its mind blowing. Its pretty black and white to me: the coaches felt he wasn't the best option in important games. Not sure what else you could take from it unless you firmly have your purple goggles in place. Teddy's 'test of my character' comment came because he's healthy and frustrated that he was bypassed. 
Yeah, it couldn't possibly be because of Bradford's familiarity with Shurmur and his offense, or his familiarity with both the Dennis Allen and the Jim Schwartz defenses, or the fact that Bradford has actually played football in the last two years, or the fact that Bradford destroyed the Saints the last time he played them. 

No, it must be because the coaches suddenly think Teddy sucks. Where's a good eyeroll emoji when you want one?  The level to which some of you want to read secret truths and alternative facts into simple, plausible, logical decisions is just mind-numbing. 
Plausible?? To whom? LOL. Secret truths? What's secret about deactivating your #2 QB who had been practicing with the team since what, November 8th, almost 2 months and Bradford hadn't practiced since end of September? 

We also have a few on this board that feel the picture below is also 'plausible'. 

[Image: creationism.jpg]

Ken Ham is a Vikings fan?.....nice!!!