Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zulgad: Vikings likely to put their trust in Teddy
Quote: @Zanary said:
One mention is in here, by Chris Simms:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2753429-chris-simms-picks-for-nfl-offseason-qb-carousel
That seems a little hard to fathom. Subtle favoring of a knee in traffic is one thing, but if a QB were "walking" with a limp (which would seem to indicate either pain or restriction), activating him, clearing him for practice and then putting him in a game would seem nearly criminal. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
That seems a little hard to fathom. Subtle favoring of a knee in traffic is one thing, but if a QB were "walking" with a limp (which would seem to indicate either pain or restriction), activating him, clearing him for practice and then putting him in a game would seem nearly criminal. 
I am guessing Simms hasnt seen him in person for at least 6 months or more.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Zanary said:
I've seen a number of very recent articles stating that Teddy is still obviously favoring one knee...and knowing Zim's affection for the kid, seeing him deactivated in the playoffs was pretty sobering.
Complete B.S. I've never seen one article that said anything about him favoring his knee. He wouldn't have been allowed off of IR if that were the case. Z said he was 100% ready to go.

Yes, agreed it was sobering that he was deactivated, because that tells a story. And not a good one for Teddy. If as an organization you feel that the offense needs to be more dynamic and you don't feel that can happen with Keenum or Bridgewater, so be it. I've seen more excuse making for Teddy's deactivation on this board, its mind blowing. Its pretty black and white to me: the coaches felt he wasn't the best option in important games. Not sure what else you could take from it unless you firmly have your purple goggles in place. Teddy's 'test of my character' comment came because he's healthy and frustrated that he was bypassed. 
Sorry, it wasn't complete BS...and I saw other articles, but the comments were similar to Simms: brief and in passing.

I guess we saw different articles.

I find the whole topic of Teddy to be as singularly maddening as our QB situation (again) because...what do we know?  He never showed a great long pass game, but supposedly had improved in practice just before his knee blew up.  It's impossible not to like the kid, but his tangibles have never been better than mid-pack and it's impossible to gauge where they'd be with a better line and more seasoning among the skill players without seeing more footage.  What little we did see was...unfortunate.

On the other hand, Case looked seriously limited as the pressure grew.  That said, the whole team seemed to wilt as the spotlights got brighter...something Zim HAS TO FIX or he's going to be the latest "almost, but..." Vikings coaches.

I still find Sam kind of intriguing, because he's far-and-away the best pure passer of the bunch, albeit the least mobile and with very questionable knees.  To me, he is the biggest risk/reward QB of the lot...kind of like Jeff George without the massive personality failings.

In any case, we have the heal(ed? ing?) but largely unknown, the plucky-but-limited underdog, and the talented-but-fragile former #1 pick to (initially) choose from.  I'm kinda glad I'm not Rick Spielman right about now.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:
I've seen a number of very recent articles stating that Teddy is still obviously favoring one knee...and knowing Zim's affection for the kid, seeing him deactivated in the playoffs was pretty sobering.

Then again, Case looking a lot like he'd slammed into his ceiling wasn't too easy on the ol' brain, either.

Meanwhile, our snakebitten former #1 pick may be truly recovered...or not.

My brain hurts.
Could you link them?  I've only heard that from a poster who is very anti teddy so I kind of blew it off.
Yeah, ditto. I haven't seen anything like that. If true, then it could mean that Teddy's "test of my character" comment could be more about knee frustrations than the lack of playing time and deactivation. 
Not sure if you are referring to me, but I'm not Anti-Teddy. I would love nothing more than to see him make a complete recovery and be our franchise QB. 

As I mentioned in another thread, I heard it on KFAN. PA had Adam Kaplan on discussing the Philly game because he covers that team in detail and they started discussing each team's QB situation. He mentioned to PA that reports on Teddy are that he is still favoring his knee.  He didn't divulge where he got that info from so you can either believe him or not. PA didn't say a word or try to dispute it but I wouldn't expect him to since he is also a Viking employee and has to be careful on what he can say, especially in the days leading up to a playoff game where Zimmer hadn't named his backup QB yet. You won't see any official Viking sources talk about it to the press. 

Personally, I don't buy into Zimmer's reasons for benching Teddy in favor of Sam since Teddy had clearly put in a lot more time preparing his body and brain to be the backup once they activated him. That decision seemed very abrupt and out of character for Zimmer who is Teddy's biggest supporter. That still doesn't mean his knee is or isn't recovered, but it definitely shows a lack of confidence in Teddy at that moment IMO.   

Or it might have meant that as soon as Bradford was cleared to practice again Shurmer lobbied for him to be the backup due to their long history together and Pat's short history with Teddy.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Or it might have meant that as soon as Bradford was cleared to practice again Shurmer lobbied for him to be the backup due to their long history together and Pat's short history with Teddy.
Possibly. Unfortunately we will probably never know the real story. It doesn't really matter at this point until they decide on their QB. If they re-sign Teddy, then that should put to rest any doubts about their belief in his abilities to lead this team  as their starter because I doubt he will come back without that guarantee.   

....and that was the right decision because he's a superior QB. Might be that, too. In fact, it is that. Zimmer has the final say. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:

Then again, Case looking a lot like he'd slammed into his ceiling wasn't too easy on the ol' brain, either.

Meanwhile, our snakebitten former #1 pick may be truly recovered...or not.

My brain hurts.
Could you link them?  I've only heard that from a poster who is very anti teddy so I kind of blew it off.
Yeah, ditto. I haven't seen anything like that. If true, then it could mean that Teddy's "test of my character" comment could be more about knee frustrations than the lack of playing time and deactivation. 
Not sure if you are referring to me, but I'm not Anti-Teddy. I would love nothing more than to see him make a complete recovery and be our franchise QB. 

As I mentioned in another thread, I heard it on KFAN. PA had Adam Kaplan on discussing the Philly game because he covers that team in detail and they started discussing each team's QB situation. He mentioned to PA that reports on Teddy are that he is still favoring his knee.  He didn't divulge where he got that info from so you can either believe him or not. PA didn't say a word or try to dispute it but I wouldn't expect him to since he is also a Viking employee and has to be careful on what he can say, especially in the days leading up to a playoff game where Zimmer hadn't named his backup QB yet. You won't see any official Viking sources talk about it to the press. 

Personally, I don't buy into Zimmer's reasons for benching Teddy in favor of Sam since Teddy had clearly put in a lot more time preparing his body and brain to be the backup once they activated him. That decision seemed very abrupt and out of character for Zimmer who is Teddy's biggest supporter. That still doesn't mean his knee is or isn't recovered, but it definitely shows a lack of confidence in Teddy at that moment IMO.   
It wasn't abrupt when you consider that it happened the very moment Bradford was activated from the IR.

Also, I have no reason to doubt what you heard. I'm only saying that I haven't heard or read any kind of confirmation of that. Could very well be true. But if Teddy truly were favoring a knee, I would imagine it would be fairly big news in the local papers.

I will say this, though: coaches never undermine players entering free agency. They typically want to give them a fighting chance. So if there was concern about Teddy's knee, you wouldn't hear it from the Vikings. I think there might have been a little bit of that in Zimmer's comment that Sam is "past his knee issues."

My biggest problem is that too many tend to see all Viking QB discussion through a binary lens. As if there are "sides" to this discussion. A pro-this or an anti-that point of view, which happens I guess, but is ridiculous in my opinion. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@FSUVike said:
....and that was the right decision because he's a superior QB. Might be that, too. In fact, it is that. Zimmer has the final say. 
No doubt Bradford is the better QB. But why would Zimmer have final say on who the backup QB is instead of Shurmer? 

Seems like that would be robbing your OC of his authority and really micromanaging the Offense, which isn't exactly Mike's M.O.

@StickyBun said:
@FSUVike said:
No doubt Bradford is the better QB. But why would Zimmer have final say on who the backup QB is instead of Shurmer? 

Seems like that would be robbing your OC of his authority and really micromanaging the Offense, which isn't exactly Mike's M.O.
How many times do you think Zimmer told Shurmur start calling conservative plays my defense can hold the lead?
I would think Rick, Zim and the OC would discuss QB's. But really don't know who would have the final say.