Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letting the wrong coach go
I think the reality is the Vikings were shot emotionally.

After that unexpected miracle and subsequent celebration they just looked flat.

The first drive on offense was really nice and misleading I suppose.

But the defense was just shot ever since the 2nd half last week.

Just could not get it back together.

My first thought after the opening scoring drive...... at least we won't get shut out.  How little I knew at that time.  Prophetic!

The Eagles were also 13-3 and the #1 seed. They also have talented players and a good coaching staff. Foles played inspired football, hung tough in the pocket to throw deep accurately.

Sometimes, the other team just plays better. That was last night. Fans love playing the blame game. 

Zimmer has flaws - I've said it before. But nothing throws a franchise into hell than cycling to a new HC every 2-4 years.
He deserves some blame for last night and for the second-half collapse against the Saints. I think he had a lot to learn about being a head coach when he got the Vikings job: clock management, handling players, and biggest of all, he handed the offense completely to an OC and picked one - Norv Turner - who was 20 years out of touch with the NFL. He also probably has to learn how to prepare his team for postseason games, which is unlike the regular season.
But he does show that he is trying to change and improve, so I think he's more likely to move us up faster than starting over with a new coach.
I fear we will take a bit of a step back next season, like 10-6 and a bubble playoff team, but too many factors (OC, QB) undetermined to guess yet.

I agree with what you’re saying, but for all the people that
think we’ll just find a coordinator that is 100% ready to be a head coach that
will take us to the playoffs, I think that’s unlikely.  Some things you just have to learn by doing
and experiencing.

When a team craps the bed like we just did, frankly all options are on the table.  But there isn't much sense in canning Zimmer after he went 13-3 and no likelihood that the organization would do that in any case.

That said, there have been coaches who can consistently win in the regular season but fail in the playoffs, including Denny among others.   If Zimmer is one of those guys then we are in for more years of frustration.

Quote: @MoosicMan said:
This game has me wondering if we are letting the wrong coach go. All the high picks on D and this is what we get when it matters. Shumur has done well with FA’s and low picks. Love Zimm, but maybe he’s just a good in season coach?  Someone help me get over this thought
Did you see Morgan come across the field to attempt to block Graham??? Yeah, that was Shurmur and one of the worst calls/expectations all seasons.  Shurmur was great, but Zim is the man yet and will be til he decides to retire....he's been the best coach we've employed the last 20 years imo...

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Zimmer has flaws - I've said it before. But nothing throws a franchise into hell than cycling to a new HC every 2-4 years.
He deserves some blame for last night and for the second-half collapse against the Saints. I think he had a lot to learn about being a head coach when he got the Vikings job: clock management, handling players, and biggest of all, he handed the offense completely to an OC and picked one - Norv Turner - who was 20 years out of touch with the NFL. He also probably has to learn how to prepare his team for postseason games, which is unlike the regular season.
But he does show that he is trying to change and improve, so I think he's more likely to move us up faster than starting over with a new coach.
I fear we will take a bit of a step back next season, like 10-6 and a bubble playoff team, but too many factors (OC, QB) undetermined to guess yet.
Sometimes I think that I would like to see Edwards try calling plays for the defense.
I thought the game Zimmer missed "Dallas"  he done a excellent job calling plays.

I like that Zimmer keys on developing players, he has many great ones that sing his praises.  Player development is key to long term success, I like the fact that he wants that as the coaching staff philosophy.  I also like the fact that he doesn't seem to have GM aspirations and is fine working 'with' Rick and the scouts to find the right players.  I'd say the drafts have been more successful the last few years as they get on the same page.
He should have had a victory in the 2015 playoffs but his kicker crapped the bed.  I do think the 'Minnesota Miracle' hangover bit them in the ass mentally and they came in unprepared to play at the level they needed to.

Quote: @NodakViking said:
I like that Zimmer keys on developing players, he has many great ones that sing his praises.  Player development is key to long term success, I like the fact that he wants that as the coaching staff philosophy.  I also like the fact that he doesn't seem to have GM aspirations and is fine working 'with' Rick and the scouts to find the right players.  I'd say the drafts have been more successful the last few years as they get on the same page.
He should have had a victory in the 2015 playoffs but his kicker crapped the bed.  I do think the 'Minnesota Miracle' hangover bit them in the ass mentally and they came in unprepared to play at the level they needed to.
Amen on the hangover part.  I saw a video clip with case done between the aints game and the iggles and Keenum looked like he had been without sleep for 2 days....I am sure he wasn't the only one that was emotionally challenged.

All the injures on top of the emotional roller coaster they had been on and it wasnt going to take much to make them snap.  The pick 6 was IMO that straw that broke the proverbial camels back.