Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A healthy Billy Price or McGlinchey?
Of the 2, who do you pick at 30?

Gun to my head, Price.  But I'd be very happy with either.  It's a 1A 1B decision IMO

How much did Quinton Nelson help McGlinchey? Or was it him that helped make Nelson look great?

I am no draft guru and barely watch college football.

But OT are much harder to find and much higher paid.  I would go McGlinchey for that reason plus Price is now injured and plays Center so we would then switch Elflein to Guard after having a very good rookie year commanding our OL.  I don't want to mess with Elflein's success and draft a true Center.  I know Elflein played Guard in college but that is not the same as the NFL.  

Also there are always very good Guards in the second and third round and also on the free agent market - so multiple ways to address.  You don't get that with Tackles.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
How much did Quinton Nelson help McGlinchey? Or was it him that helped make Nelson look great?
I have heard or read that, unlike a lot of left tackles, McGlinchey got no help from Nelson. That doesn't mean McGlinchey's success wasn't aided by having the best guard in football next to him, only that, schematically, they rarely had Nelson go out and help seal the left edge. 

I think most people agree that McGlinchey will be a right tackle in the NFL. Just doesn't have the feet for left tackle. As I say that I'm reminded of a very similar situation with another OSU left tackle, Taylor Decker. It was said by most that he would have to move to the right in the NFL. The Lions actually drafted him to play on the right (Reiff was their left tackle), but when they got to camp, they were so impressed with him, they put him on the left and moved Reiff to the right. So who knows? 

I would draft McGlinchey as a right tackle before a healthy Price. I think he's a little bit better player and it improves two positions by moving Remmers to RG.

Drafting Price cleans up the inside, but we're still left with Remmers and Hill competing on the right. Not bad, but I think McGlinchey out there improves two positions and would give us our bookends for a good long time. 

I’ve been not paying too much attention to prospects this
year, so my knowledge on them is limited, but my high level thoughts are that
Price can play G and C, would allow us to have excellent backup play at C
should Elflein go down.  I cringe when
Easton is at C and Berger’s on limited time. 
I don’t think it’s a safe assumption to think that Remmers will
automatically be an upgrade at RG, and I certainly wouldn’t put him at LG, as
it appears that he’s struggled on the left side his whole career.  I think Price could play all 3 interior
positions.

The pros to picking a tackle in the 1st is that
we can likely still get a very good G at the bottom of the 2nd, and
we’d have upgraded two different positions on the OLine.  I don’t put much stock in the idea that T is
harder to get, so we need to look there. 
I just want as many of the best caliber guys on the OLine as possible
and Remmers was solid at RT. 

An idea that I love is getting Sitton in FA, drafting
McGlinchey in the first and an Elflein caliber G in the second.  You let Sitton man LG, Easton is backup LG,
let Berger and the Rookie G battle it out for starting position.  Let McGlinchey and Remmers battle it out for starting
RT.  That’s a line that has quality
starters and quality depth.

Price will be drafted in round 2.  He has a surgically repaired pec and will go up against man-children the likes of which he's never seen before.  This kid won't be a factor in 2018.  I say pick him in round 2.

McGlinchey for reasons cited by others; basically, OT is harder to fill. Call me crazy, but I have hope that Danny Isadora will be our starting RG at the end of 2018 camp..
In that vein: do the Vikings have any appetite (or budget) to sign another OT in free agency this year, or did Reiff and Remmers use that up? I think the Pats' Cameron Fleming would be a better RT than Remmers, only 26 and probably not overly expensive. I realize free agency is hard to project with the QB situation hanging over everything, but it would sure be great to have some reinforcement on the OL before draft day.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
McGlinchey for reasons cited by others; basically, OT is harder to fill. Call me crazy, but I have hope that Danny Isadora will be our starting RG at the end of 2018 camp..
In that vein: do the Vikings have any appetite (or budget) to sign another OT in free agency this year, or did Reiff and Remmers use that up? I think the Pats' Cameron Fleming would be a better RT than Remmers, only 26 and probably not overly expensive. I realize free agency is hard to project with the QB situation hanging over everything, but it would sure be great to have some reinforcement on the OL before draft day.
I think after the Remmers and Reif signing last year, it is better to keep drafting the line up to better talent levels from a cap standpoint.

I'd like to see the 1st and 2nd round selections used on the OL and DL.  I don't particularly care which and when but I think we need help in the trenches more than anywhere else on the team.....assuming we sign a QB in FA.