Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rashod Hill reflects on journey from Jags’ practice squad to starting in the playoffs
Following a career-ending injury to tackle Jake Long, the Minnesota Vikings were desperate for any kind of help along the offensive line. So they picked up Rashod Hill off the Jacksonville Jaguars’ practice squad.
Jacksonville gave him the option of moving to the active roster with the Jaguars or going to Minnesota. While he didn’t own a winter coat, Hill decided he’d give it a shot, especially considering the Vikings’ desperate need for tackles at the time.

“A lot of people don’t know that if you’re not drafted as an offensive lineman, it’s hard to make the team,” Hill said. “It isn’t like corners, DBs, running backs. If you’re an offensive lineman, it’s hard because they already have their select few guys and through OTAs and rookie mini camp, if they see something, OK cool, but they only have a few. Minnesota keeps nine offensive linemen, Jacksonville only kept eight.”
Hill got his first opportunity to play in Week 17 last year against the Chicago Bears and made a lasting impression. GM Rick Spielman even gave him a shoutout in his press conference to open camp as evidence that the O-line depth was improved.
On Monday, Sid Hartman wanted to talk to the Vikings’ starting right tackle, who took over the starting job against the New Orleans Saints while Mike Remmers moved to left guard. Sid asked Hill whether he ever could have imagined himself starting in an NFC title game just one year after being on the Jags’ practice squad.
”No sir, I didn’t,” Hill said. “I thought eventually, but not right now. Second year in the league, came out of college undrafted, Jacksonville practice squad, Minnesota gave me this opportunity and I’m just trying to cease it. I never would have been starting right now. NFC Championship, I never would have thought in a million years.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...-playoffs/

The former Souther Miss tackle matched up against Pro Football Focus’s No. 1 defensive end Cameron Jordan on Sunday. He allowed seven pressures on Case Keenum, but did enough to keep Jordan from dominating the game – which he had done the previous game against Cam Newton and the Panthers.
“That’s one of the best guys I’ve gone against,” Hill said. “My coach was telling me I did a good job, Cameron Jordan asked me what year I was. I said, ‘I’m in my second year.’ And he said, ‘Man, you’re a solid player.’ I said, ‘Man, you gave me a whole 60 minutes.’”

The Vikings’ starting right tackle won’t get any breaks this week. The Eagles have one of the best defensive lines in the NFL, which includes pass rusher Brandon Graham.
“I don’t know if they have guys as big as [Jordan], but they’re fast, they’re quick and they’re smart, so it’s going to be a task but I’m ready for it,” Hill said.
While he never would have expected to be in the spotlight at this point in his career, Hill is adapted quickly to being a Minnesotan – despite the weather.
“My wife was telling me the other day, ‘it’s actually nice up here, it’s just cold,’” Hill said. “The people are nice up here. It’s a nice city up here. Some people in the South are rude. People in Minnesota are nice, they get along with people, they love football…it really is just cold. We love it here.”

That dude is our starting RT next year and beyond. Love it. He'll only improve. He's got exactly the body size and type for the position. 

I was so happy when we plucked him from Jacksonville. I really liked Hill and thought he would be starting in no time.
We still need to draft a LT pretty high

Quote: @Canthony said:
I was so happy when we plucked him from Jacksonville. I really liked Hill and thought he would be starting in no time.
We still need to draft a LT pretty high
Yep, need to create an O-line pipeline via the draft to keep incrementally improving this unit. Competition. 

I laugh when I've heard some fans rag on his play on Sunday...he was only going up against one of the premier DEs in football. Cameron Jordan is a beast.

I was one of those fans who commented that our line, including Hill, was pushed around a lot on Sunday. And it's a fact, it was. I concede that Hill went against a great DE in Cam Jordan. I do honestly believe that our O line is vastly improved from where it was (in the gutter). But I think all of those guys would say that there's still work to do. The more time they get to spend together as a unit is going to make them better and this I truly believe. I have been impressed with Hill since last year at the Chicago game. Nobody wanted to give him credit then because of the opponent we played, but the guy showed he has undeniable talent. I am hoping very hard that Hill and the rest of the line can create a great wall to protect Case on Sunday. Their play most likely will be the key to the whole game.

Quote: @prairieghost said:
I was one of those fans who commented that our line, including Hill, was pushed around a lot on Sunday. And it's a fact, it was. I concede that Hill went against a great DE in Cam Jordan. I do honestly believe that our O line is vastly improved from where it was (in the gutter). But I think all of those guys would say that there's still work to do. The more time they get to spend together as a unit is going to make them better and this I truly believe. I have been impressed with Hill since last year at the Chicago game. Nobody wanted to give him credit then because of the opponent we played, but the guy showed he has undeniable talent. I am hoping very hard that Hill and the rest of the line can create a great wall to protect Case on Sunday. Their play most likely will be the key to the whole game.
Aikman made it a point to talk about Hill's technique and that he plays too open at times and is easy to beat around the edge when that happens. I hope Sporano can get that corrected going into this week.