Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little context on Zimmer's QB comments
A week after NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that Week 1 starter Sam Bradford"absolutely intends to play in 2018" after a November knee surgery revealed that the quarterback's infamous ligaments were "intact," Zimmer told media at the scouting combine that Bradford has a "degenerative" knee.
That's hardly a ringing endorsement of the veteran's health entering free agency, although Zimmer, per Pelissero, also said "Bradford was skiing last week," so "getting through a full season is the real unknown" -- and the factor that figures to force the former No 1 overall draft pick and 2016 trade acquisition to a new home in the coming weeks.

Can Keenum repeat his 2017 breakout? Zimmer: “You think he can, but it’s just kind of guessing.” Noted they had a good team around him.

Mike Zimmer on Case Keenum: “Is he the guy that played for the Rams or is he the guy that played for us?”

Damn, Mike Zimmer loose in Indy. 

He also mentioned that Sam's been on a ski trip recently! I'm sure that's great for the knees. 

Out here on the West coast, saw Case with the Rams and the guy had NO help from his O-line or receivers.
His receivers couldn't hold on to a damn ball....and some playing "volleyball"

More from Zim. Very interesting stuff here. Do I sense a little Cousins caution in his tone? 

“I don’t want to talk about windows and things like that because I’m hoping it’s more than a window – I’m hoping it’s wide-open spaces,” Zimmer said. “But I do think we have a good nucleus as a team.
“I think it’s really, really important that we understand – and I’m not just saying this – we’ve won 40 games in the last four years,” Zimmer added. “We’ve done that by being pretty good on defense. This year obviously the offense was much better, but part of the reason we’ve been winning games and staying in games is because we’ve been playing good on defense, and we’ve been a smart team and all those things.
“I want to be really careful about taking away from our strength and saying, ‘OK we’re not going to be able to do this, and we’re not going to be able to do that anymore because of financial reasons or something else.’ ”
“I like these guys. I appreciate everything that they’ve done,” Zimmer said of his roster. “We have to get better as a team. I think we have a good nucleus as a team. The offensive line improved, we saw receivers make great catches last year, some really tough contested catches. [Dalvin Cook], I think he’s going to be pretty darn good. Defensively, I think we can continue to get better.
“The one thing I told [General Manager] Rick [Spielman] was, I said look, we’ve had a good team, that’s why we’ve won 40 games. It’s not because we’ve had this one guy or that one guy,” Zimmer added. “Let’s make sure we keep understanding the team is why we have done good things.”
“The most difficult part is not picking the right one,” Zimmer said. “If you pick the right one, if you go with the right one and he does like you anticipate, then everything is good, if you pick the wrong one, it’s hard to win in this league without a quarterback.

“If you pick the wrong one, this whole thing can go downhill,” Zimmer said.

with all this smoke I am pretty much convinced they decided to burn that abandoned long ship at winter park.

Full ESPN article about Zimmer and QB decision - Pick the wrong one and possibly gets fired.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22615...ably-fired

Reading that article, I don't think its going to be Cousins. I think its either Teddy or Case.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
He also mentioned that Sam's been on a ski trip recently! I'm sure that's great for the knees. 
Either that or the knees are great.

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
Reading that article, I don't think its going to be Cousins. I think its either Teddy or Case.
i think its really hard to guess what direction they are headed right now... which is exactly what Rick and company want.

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
When asked if Keenum could repeat what he did in 2017, Zimmer responded, “You think he can, but it’s just kind of guessing.” Noted they had a good team around him. “Is he the guy that played for the Rams or is he the guy that played for us?”

Not exactly a vote of confidence. I can hear the OTA speech now. "Hey guys let's go win a Super Bowl!" Coach, is our QB any good? "We think so!!" ...but really we're just guessing. Now go get 'em." 

If it is Case, then Zimmer is back to his old tough love treatment. Honestly, I doubt they've even decided yet.