Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Alternative Scenario
I don't think this has been discussed here, but if it has I apologize.  I was listening to the Sirius NFL radio channel a few days ago and heard someone (caller or guest) bring up the idea of the Vikings making a trade for a veteran QB, instead of going the more expensive Cousins route.  A few names were thrown around as speculation possibilities.  The two that stood out were Eli and Rivers, but a couple others I can't remember were thrown out for discussion.  The idea was fairly quickly dismissed by the hosts (can't remember who) as you could tell they hadn't put any thought into the team going in that direction.  So I figured I'd bring it up here and see what all of you think about trading for an experienced/cheaper vet than Cousins and what you think it would take to get them.  None of us saw the Bradford trade happening 2 years ago, so I think the idea at least has some merit as a "different discussion" to have regarding the QB quandary the team has.  

Would the Giants or the Chargers be willing to trade Eli or Rivers?  Can you think of other QB's who would merit a trade discussion?  What do you think it would take in trade to get them? (Player(s) and/or picks)  If they are gettable via trade, both Eli and Rivers have contracts that average about 21 million a year and are under contract for another 2 years. (FA in 2020) Eli is 37 and Rivers is 36.  Do they work for our so called "competitive playoff window" and do they allow us to retain our young up and coming players while still upgrading the QB position?       

Anything's possible, but I'm convinced what the Vikings really want is their own long-term franchise QB. 

Interesting thought.  I wouldn't want anything to do with Eli.  But Rivers is a stud QB, stuck on a crappy team.  Other than him being a stats machine, I guess I don't know a ton about him; but I believe Rivers would be an even bigger upgrade than Cousins.  But it would be a short-term fix.  That'd be the trade-off.  Of course, if the team REALLY likes Sloter... then Rivers could be the bridge (no semi-pun intended).

Quote: @pumpf said:
Interesting thought.  I wouldn't want anything to do with Eli.  But Rivers is a stud QB, stuck on a crappy team.  Other than him being a stats machine, I guess I don't know a ton about him; but I believe Rivers would be an even bigger upgrade than Cousins.  But it would be a short-term fix.  That'd be the trade-off.  Of course, if the team REALLY likes Sloter... then Rivers could be the bridge (no semi-pun intended).
I agree on not wanting Eli,  Rivers is interesting,  but the Chargers are going to want a franchise QB in place when their new stadium open next year and I doubt they have one in the waiting... beside I am sure they would want at least a 1st round pick and that is to much for a 2 year loaner.

Rivers has like 20 kids.  They just moved from S.D. to L.A. I do not see him making a move to the north/Midwest at this time in his career. 
If you are looking to trade for a QB, look at Foles. Seems like every time Philly turns around now they come up golden. We already sent Howie Roseman a 1st and a 4th for Bradford. Now he has a SB winner as a backup. I'm guessing they will keep Foles until they are sure Wentz is fully healed. But maybe they could be convinced to part with Foles for another bounty of picks. Jeez. 
Sign Teddy and Sam / or Case / or Cousins ... and be done with it.

why not just resign the guy we traded for in sam. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
why not just resign the guy we traded for in sam. 
and who else?  Sam alone would not make me very comfortable.  I was hoping for Sam and Teddy myself, but I wonder if they would both be willing to play 2nd fiddle as one will end up losing any competition.

of course if Flipper is wanting to move the pocket and role his QBs out to help the OL... Sam might not be the best fit for his offense.

Quote: @dadevike said:
Rivers has like 20 kids.  They just moved from S.D. to L.A. I do not see him making a move to the north/Midwest at this time in his career. 
If you are looking to trade for a QB, look at Foles. Seems like every time Philly turns around now they come up golden. We already sent Howie Roseman a 1st and a 4th for Bradford. Now he has a SB winner as a backup. I'm guessing they will keep Foles until they are sure Wentz is fully healed. But maybe they could be convinced to part with Foles for another bounty of picks. Jeez. 
Sign Teddy and Sam / or Case / or Cousins ... and be done with it.

Sounds like Philly is just about to begin figuring out what they want to do with Foles.  My guess is: he's going to want a shot at playing somewhere.  Why not for his old OC?  He's got something Case doesn't have: a track record of success before.  And I'm positive that he'd be cheaper than Cousins.  He'd cost us a pick (is a #1- as low as it is- too much for a "franchise" QB?)... but we'd have more money to throw at our OL / DL.