Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cardinals Say Thanks, But No Thanks
Mike Jurecki of Arizona Sports does not expect the Cardinals to join the bidding for free agent Kirk Cousins.
Long one of the NFL's most reliable beat reporters, Jurecki expects the Cardinals to pass on Cousins and instead opt for two cheaper veteran quarterbacks to compete with a rookie, also noting Arizona "needs to get its O-Line figured out." If the Cards are truly out on Cousins, the Jets, Broncos, Vikings, and Browns would be left as his likeliest destinations. The Jaguars dropped out when they signed Blake Bortles to a new three-year, $54 million deal.
Related: Cardinals

I never thought that the Jaguars were ever doing anything but resigning Bortles. Again, the media is full of rumor-mongering and little substance. Still have almost 3 weeks until anything happens for real.

I see the cards as suitors for any of our 3 as bridge QBs for who ever they draft.  

The Cardinals don't have the cap space to make a serious run at Cousins.  Heck, the Broncos will have to do some cap gymnastics + release a veteran or two just to have a shot.  At this point, the Vikings have the best situation for Cousins given the teams that have been linked to him. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
The Cardinals don't have the cap space to make a serious run at Cousins.  Heck, the Broncos will have to do some cap gymnastics + release a veteran or two just to have a shot.  At this point, the Vikings have the best situation for Cousins given the teams that have been linked to him. 
like has been said,  its time for him to show that he really wants to win first.  I would offer him 25 million and if the broncos want to gut their team to sign him then so be it.  if he goes to cleveland or the jets for more money... then he really didnt give a shit about winning after all.

His heart said what he thought was the right thing, but his head and Agent will ultimately prevail, as they should.

Unlike Bradford, Kirk wasn't drafted Number #1 in an era where there was no Rookie Salary Cap. This may be his only opportunity to sign a big contract.

If it were me, not knowing how long I could play and knowing I will almost undoubtedly have quality of life issues after I retire, I'm going to follow the money. Which probably takes me to the Jets or Broncos.

If Kirk takes 5 million less to come to Minnesota, gets multiple concussions and has to retire early without taking the team all the way, will us fans still be grateful?

Nope. We'll be pissed he wasn't the missing piece. And we won't give a shit that he took less to be a Viking.

That is why the notion of taking less money at this point in his career just to play for a Winner is really a joke. Down the line, after banking a big contract or two ala Bradford is maybe when it starts to make sense to take less. But that time is not now for Cousins.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
His heart said what he thought was the right thing, but his head and Agent will ultimately prevail, as they should.

Unlike Bradford, Kirk wasn't drafted Number #1 in an era where there was no Rookie Salary Cap. This may be his only opportunity to sign a big contract.

If it were me, not knowing how long I could play and knowing I will almost undoubtedly have quality of life issues after I retire, I'm going to follow the money. Which probably takes me to the Jets or Broncos.

If Kirk takes 5 million less to come to Minnesota, gets multiple concussions and has to retire early without taking the team all the way, will us fans still be grateful?

Nope. We'll be pissed he wasn't the missing piece. And we won't give a shit that he took less to be a Viking.

That is why the notion of taking less money at this point in his career just to play for a Winner is really a joke. Down the line, after banking a big contract or two ala Bradford is maybe when it starts to make sense to take less. But that time is not now for Cousins.
go to Minnesota for 63 million guaranteed or Cleveland/Jets for 75 guaranteed... you are still going to cleveland?  I know its hard for me to fathom the kind of money these guys are getting paid,  but I can drop a few zeros and put myself in that situation and I can say from experience that location goes a long way towards being happy in life and I think it would take a shit load more for me to be happy working for the browns or the jets than a 15% pay bump.

But you won't be the one potentially having to deal with CTE, arthritis, back problems, etc. I think most Agents and maybe even family members advise players now to take as much as they can get while they can still get it.

But you won't be the one potentially having to deal with CTE, arthritis, back problems, etc. I think most Agents and maybe even family members advise players now to take as much as they can get while they can still get it.
That may be the deciding factor.  The agents seem to sway the player for the money.

but year in and year out,  you typically dont see the better players signing with shit teams, even for the better money.  they end up taking nice deals but from better landing spots.  sure Cleveland doesnt have a ton of veteran talent on their roster and much of that is draft difficulty,  but there is a reason they have a shit ton of cap space available this year or were able to trade cap money for picks last year when they took osweiller off the texans hands.

i dont know,  maybe they will take the best deal,  but if it were me I would tell my agent to go fuck himself and I would sign with a team in a good/great city and I would give them a little discount if it meant me being in a better place every morning and being able to raise my kids the way I want to raise them.