Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Any tech savvy/home entertainment people here?
Sorry if I'm not "categorizing" this the right way. I know it's not "The Longship" stuff but, I figured since it's the offseason...

I have a specific question, and I can't figure it out on Google. I'll be as specific as possible for anybody who feels like helping.

I recently bought an entirely new entertainment center: TV, receiver, and streaming box (AppleTV). Everything I had was archaic (meaning anything over 5 years old apparently), and I wanted a quality 4K picture. So I purchased (these are the exact orders from Amazon):

Sony KD60X690E 60-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model)

Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker Set

Pioneer Surround Sound A/V Receiver - Black (VSX-532)

And then, which I didn't buy via Amazon, the brand new Apple TV4K model when it came out in October.

So in theory, I should have all the components I need... but my problem is that I'm not getting a 4K feed through my AppleTV.

The Sony TV itself, of course, is a smart TV and has YouTube and Netflix built in. When I view any 4K content through the television, it's clearly 4K. Amazing picture. 

The AppleTV, I view THROUGH my receiver. And when I look at the same content on YouTube and Netflix that should be 4K, the difference is noticeable when it's through AppleTV. 

I know this is wordy and confusing, but my conundrum is this: from everything I've read (and lots has been vague), my receiver shouldn't hinder the picture quality, nor should the HDMI cables (all new) connecting the TV/receiver/AppleTV. I find it hard to believe this was an oversight on Apple's part. Lots of people use a receiver as their go-through. 

A couple other important notes:
- My internet quality is top speed
- I'm hardwired in on the AppleTV (not the Sony TV itself)
- Before I hooked up my AppleTV to the receiver, I first programmed it using the TV (TV to AppleTV via HDMI) so the AppleTV would initially recognize it as a 4K. That seemed to work... or so I thought

Thanks in advance. And I fully expect this to slowly slide down the board as I realize we're just getting into the good part of free agency shortly. 

I would think the receiver would effect the image quality if it doesn't have HDMI 2.0 

Updated 4k devices made a physical change to the HDMI ports. Old ones used 1.6, new 4k ones have a 2.0. 

The Apple device certainly is using an HDMI 2.0 output connector. The TV's inputs certainly are HDMI 2.0 inputs.

I'd guess the receiver output port is 1.6 and it doesn't have the bandwidth to pump 4k out; it converts to a lower signal quality.

If your reciever is 4k ready than i guess nevermind, just my first thought/hunch. ...What if you plug the Apple TV device directly into your TV just to see how it looks? Does it look any better?

Will try and help all I can.

Are all the settings on the Apple TV set to 4K? Sometimes you need to dig into the settings to set this up. On the Pio AVR did you make sure the HDMI input on the AVR is the correct one (pass through or upscale to 4K) to the Apple TV? Then you might have to dig into the Pio manual to see if there are any settings that need to be set up to ensure the 4K is going through the Apple Tv and Pio to your Sony. A lot of my AVRs needed to be set up this way in the menu. There might just be a lot of handshake issues between the different brands. Might have to do a trial and error with the different HDMIs on the back of the Pio to the Apple TV and then the main HDMI to the Sony TV. Sometimes just the nature of different brands not playing nice.

Sorry but I haven't invested or kept up with all the AVRs lately. I used to have a couple of Pio AVRs, and sometimes it's just a matter of Apple TV and the Pio having handshake issues like stated above. In the end, I bought a different AVR that played nice with the other brands.

Lastly, check out the AVS forums and read the threads on AppleTV 4K and Pio VSX 532. Lots of information on there and you can go pretty crazy on setting up all your gear.

Good luck and enjoy your new toys!

Sounds like Apple wants you to access 4k movies through iTunes, I’m not sure, read this:
https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-tv-4k/review/

Hey, at least no one has suggested unplugging everything for 30 seconds! You know we're trying lol!

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
Hey, at least no one has suggested unplugging everything for 30 seconds! You know we're trying lol!
Okay, have you turned your system and components off for an appropriate amount of time and then restarted. Did this solve your problem?  Yes, good job.  No, ask a competent friend for advice.

Al

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:

If your reciever is 4k ready than i guess nevermind, just my first thought/hunch. ...What if you plug the Apple TV device directly into your TV just to see how it looks? Does it look any better?
Looks to be 4K ready via the specs. 

And yes, I'd plugged into the TV directly and it looks perfect...

Quote: @grpape said:
Will try and help all I can.

Are all the settings on the Apple TV set to 4K? Sometimes you need to dig into the settings to set this up. On the Pio AVR did you make sure the HDMI input on the AVR is the correct one (pass through or upscale to 4K) to the Apple TV? Then you might have to dig into the Pio manual to see if there are any settings that need to be set up to ensure the 4K is going through the Apple Tv and Pio to your Sony. A lot of my AVRs needed to be set up this way in the menu. There might just be a lot of handshake issues between the different brands. Might have to do a trial and error with the different HDMIs on the back of the Pio to the Apple TV and then the main HDMI to the Sony TV. Sometimes just the nature of different brands not playing nice.

Sorry but I haven't invested or kept up with all the AVRs lately. I used to have a couple of Pio AVRs, and sometimes it's just a matter of Apple TV and the Pio having handshake issues like stated above. In the end, I bought a different AVR that played nice with the other brands.

Lastly, check out the AVS forums and read the threads on AppleTV 4K and Pio VSX 532. Lots of information on there and you can go pretty crazy on setting up all your gear.

Good luck and enjoy your new toys!
I haven't begun the operating process yet, but I think your solution is probably the most tried and true. And thanks for the idea on that forum - gonna check that out now.

Thanks for the help, guys! I was dreading a response of, "Oh yeah, that ABC model doesn't support XYZ" unbeknownst to me. 

Looks like I've got a project for the night.

Quote: @KingBash said:
@BlackMagic7 said:

Looks to be 4K ready via the specs. 

And yes, I'd plugged into the TV directly and it looks perfect...
if the appletv looks perfect when plugged straight into the tv then the issue is somewhere woth the reciever.  when the reciever handshakes the HDMI.  the Appletv may be detecting it as a 1080p connection and not 4k.  then the AppleTV may be defaulting to a 1080p signal.