Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the Cameras Didn't Show You - Our Last one for the Season
We have now covered our last game of the season, and we leave you with what has become our most popular feature - the things we saw on the field and in the locker room, that the cameras did not capture, so here we go:

* We made the decision early this morning, that if it was snowing, we would do our 1st of 3 pregame reports outside in the snow, but with a twist.  I did it in short sleeves, no coat, no hat, no gloves and Viking fans chanting SKOL as we recorded.  It was darned cold for a Texas guy, but we survived.

* The crowd was late arriving, and every seat had a "Bring it Home" towel on it.  When the game started, the noise and sight of all those towels was unbelievable intimidating.  In fact, I am confident that the noise when the Saint Offense was on the field, prohibited Brees from audibling in the 1st half.

* The SKOL chant with that rabid a crowd is eerie.  The low bass boom of the 2 drum beats and unison of "SKOL"s was amazing to witness.  We tweeted what it looked like

* In pregame, Case Keenum was so fired up, just really excited and demonstrative.   Like a little kid getting to the Olympic games.   However, he showed no butterflies in his game (usually seen as high throws)

*  Stefon Diggs is the other one who shows a LOT of emotion in pregame.   

* We spent time with Assistant Coach Rob Rodriguez, who we've got to know in camp.  Great guy and he shared insight for us to have a bit of "scoop" on Drew Brees and the plan.  Nothing that was a tip to the Saints, but just how you have to control him.

* I talked to Chad Greenway in the basement of the Stadium just before he went out for the coin toss.  He has the enthusiasm of a teenager, and seemed so happy that his former teammates and the fans of Minnesota were so excited about this team and opportunity.  If you see him out and about, say hello, no one is nicer.

* What did we eat in the Press Box?   Turkey, Honey Ham, Boneless Wings, Cheese Curds, Brownies and an Ice Cream Bar....not bad at all

* The Press box was overfilled with 400 media members.  Normal is about 150.

* We saw Steve Jordan before the game - the proud papa of Saint Cameron WAS wearing a Viking Alumni Polo

* We spoke to Carl Eller in the locker room.  He was congratulating the guys and really seems to buy-into exorcising the demons of Viking past with this 2017-18 squad.

* Security and restrictions were very high, as the NFL brought people to supplement the Viking staff. However, we were afforded every availability we needed.  The Vikings have been very good to us.

* Jarius Wright - We've said all year, when he is in the game, he is open.

* LaQuon Treadwell - He's an elite blocker and did a good job drawing a PI call.  But, we just don't quite understand why he plays so much over Wright and Michael Floyd

* The crowd was so loud, that I think they grew weary in the 2nd half.  That much constant screaming wears you out.

* When talking to Ben Leber after the game, he said he had almost no voice, as he had been yelling so much.  Nice to hear the media guys caring

* Speaking of that Minnesota media which many say is so negative, we watched the final 4 minutes in the press conference room (if you don't leave the press box early, you are in the back of the line for interviews in the locker room).  There was the typical "curse" feel from this group too, but they erupted in euphoria and hugged each other.  They actually want the team they cover to win.

* Saw Paul Allen and talked to him briefly. He was on cloud 9. He asked if the final play call was good (we had heard it in the press room).  We told him it was great, and he said, "I hope so, I don't even remember it"

* When we did the post game show at midfield at US Bank Stadium after the game, Pete Bercich was almost giddy,  Couldn't believe we almost blew the game, and then couldn't believe the comeback.

* I spoke to Jerry Burns.  He looks pretty feeble now, but he had a big grin when I told him how much fans enjoyed him, and he said, in a fashion only Jerry Burns could, "thanks and now let's win this fuckin' game"   He is a very kind man

* In pregame, all appearances were that Sam Bradford would start, but Teddy Bridgewater threw passes in a different part of the field than Sam and Case.   It's a shame, but I think this choice was the right one.  Sam had an entire camp in the system with all the reps.  Case has looked marvelous.  Teddy's recovery was miraculous, but he just doesn't have the reps to trust him to win a playoff game if called upon after 2 years away.  It sure seems like he is on his way out.  He was NOT in the locker room after the game

* This was the first game that Sam Bradford was not guarded by the PR team.  We could have talked to him, but left him alone.  He did not play, so the time didn't seem right.

* You will never see more press reporters in a pooled interview than what Brian Robison had.  It was a zoo of 20-25 deep for 15 minutes.  He is articulate and gives them good soundbytes.  BUT, he was the first guy we went to after the game.  He was hugging his son (looked like about 4 or 5 years of age) and having a private moment.  We waited, but before the throng of interviewers came, we congratulated him.  He genuinely appreciated that, and not being mobbed by us.

END PART 1

PART 2

* Others who held court with large interview entourages were Harrison Smith, Anthony Barr, Adam Thielen, and Everson.   We did not have any chance to talk to Stefon or Case, as when they talk in a press conference, they don't do any more interviews - team rule.

* Adam Thielen conducts every interview asked of him, and that is not normal.  Guys usually say yes to one or two, and Adam does anything anybody needs to do their job.  Instead of bothering him, we saw him on the field with his little bit older than 1 year old and just said congratulations.  He beamed and said, "thanks for coming guys"

* Harrison Smith said to us "How'd you like that boys" with a sneaky grin. He is pretty shy, but when he is comfortable with you, he will just talk to you like a neighbor.

* We rode up on the elevator to leave the building with Xavier Rhodes and his small infant in a carrier.  Proud poppa and one heck of a nice guy

* As we mentioned the crowd noise, they were deafening.  The press box is open and it was so loud, you could not hear the guys next to you

* Speaking of the guys next to me, it was the entire sports crew of Fox 8 in New Orleans.  At halftime, one of them said to me, "I did not expect this at all.  I knew the game would be tough, but I didn't expect to get the shit kicked out of us".  Fortunately, I has left the press box before the Saints took the lead the 1st time.

* When the Saints scored to make it 17-7, the fans lost some steam.  When the Saints made it 17-14, you could hear the air let out of the building. The fans got real quiet, as though they were bracing the inevitable collapse and loss.

* Although he is in a walking boot, we talked to Nick Easton.   We joked about his Mom not understanding Injured Reserve and that he wasn't coming back this year.

* Marcus Sherels was happy with his punt return but he's such a nice guy, he said, "but I hated to hear that the punter who tackled me broke his ribs"  He meant it.

* Kai Forbath is an interesting dude.  He's kind of awkward socially.  But, the guy proved why he is the kicker and Not Blair Walsh. He is ice in pressure situations.

* Even if double-covered, the route running of Diggs and Thielen is so good, they can still get open.

* Case Keenum saves so many plays with his ability to move in the pocket.  The Offensive Line is much better this year, but he makes them look even better on what would be sure sacks of Sam Bradford

* The knockout hit on Sendejo was illegal as illegal can be - it was a pick-block and the Saint WR lowered his shoulder and forearmed him.

* In the end, this Viking team beat a very good Saint team.  Yes, the last play was miraculous, but the Viking did plenty to win.  They can't overlook a good Philadelphia Defense (remember, just a few years ago, Nick Foles had 29 TDs and 2 INTs), but the table is set for a Viking return to the Super Bowl.  You just gotta believe.   Bring it Home Vikings, and Hammer-Down.

Thanks for letting us bring you the gameday highlights.  It was our humbling honor to be allowed to do it.

thank you. job well done.

Great read...love these.
thanks so much

My favorite part of Sundays! SKOL!

Nice   and thank you   

this is such a great feature!  And i kept thinking after the game was over—Tom got to BE there!  I mean, that last play has got to be one of the top 2-3 plays in all of Viking history.  It will join the Drew Pierson push off, the missed FGs,  Moss’ 3TD coming out party on MNF...and you were there!  i want to hear more!  what was the locker room like?

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
this is such a great feature!  And i kept thinking after the game was over—Tom got to BE there!  I mean, that last play has got to be one of the top 2-3 plays in all of Viking history.  It will join the Drew Pierson push off, the missed FGs,  Moss’ 3TD coming out party on MNF...and you were there!  i want to hear more!  what was the locker room like?
We were kept out for a long time (about 30 minutes) because Fox was doing on-field interviews, which meant players had to wait til everyone was there to have the post game talk from Zimmer.  You could hear the yelling and screaming.  A lot of Vikings player's wife and parents were in the outside area of  the locker room hooting and hollering.  The locker room was happy, but not festive.  These guys were happy, but stunned. I think they also realize that there is more work to be done

Awesome...thanks!

yup.  awsome and thanks it is!