Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk Cousins
OK, so Denver sports radio is all over this man's jock. Actually playing audio clips of his touchdowns, raving about their next franchise QB. Yeah, I totally agree that Elway will go hard after Cousins. Just fits his M.O., especially after missing on a 1st round QB two years ago. I also sort of agree that Cousins will be available. That seems to be the consensus opinion in the media. What I don't understand is...WHY?

Why would Washington not just sign Cousins to a contract worthy of an NFL starting QB? Are they that tight against the cap? No, they're estimated to have over $50M next season. Do they have some young hotshot waiting in the wings like the Colts did when they let Manning go? No. They have Colt McCoy, who will never be anyone's starter. Are they left wanting by Cousins' performance lately? How could they be? 3 straight years of 4,000+ yards. 3 straight years of 64+ completion percentage. 3 straight years of 93+ passer rating...all despite a marginal supporting cast. Is he too old to invest in? No, he's 29. Is he frequently hurt? Out of 48 games played the last 3 years, he's missed 0. Is he some sort of locker room pariah? From what I've read, he's an exceptionally hard worker and a great leader. Sure sounds like a potential franchise QB to me. Damn, sounds like he already IS a franchise QB. And yet the consensus remains that Washington is not going to commit to him. 

Anyone know why?  

Because they don't believe in him.

I get the feeling that they aren't convinced he is the franchise QB.  Otherwise they would have signed him already.  Maybe they are feeling cheap for some reason and don't think he is worth the money he will command.

That would be my only qualm.  Is he worth saddling the franchise with that type of contract?  You see GB and NO struggle with the huge salary committed to the one QB.  NO has gotten by, but I think it is a legit concern.  Especially for someone that isn't at the Brady/Brees/Rodgers level. 

Quote: @greediron said:
I get the feeling that they aren't convinced he is the franchise QB.  Otherwise they would have signed him already.  Maybe they are feeling cheap for some reason and don't think he is worth the money he will command.

That would be my only qualm.  Is he worth saddling the franchise with that type of contract?  You see GB and NO struggle with the huge salary committed to the one QB.  NO has gotten by, but I think it is a legit concern.  Especially for someone that isn't at the Brady/Brees/Rodgers level. 
That does seem to be the case. But given all of the information, it also seems pretty hard to believe. An under 30 QB with no injury history who's thrown for over 4K three straight seasons? That sort of QB doesn't come around very often. I'm honestly baffled by this. 

Cousins would be a good qb in our system.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:

That does seem to be the case. But given all of the information, it also seems pretty hard to believe. An under 30 QB with no injury history who's thrown for over 4K three straight seasons? That sort of QB doesn't come around very often. I'm honestly baffled by this. 
I think it is honestly making him the highest paid player.  Not sure he is worth quite that.  What are their options?  Dunno, I think he is a good franchise guy, just not worth what he will be paid. 

i think that it is a fractured relationship.   Cousins has been a little bitter about getting tagged and not getting any long term commitment over the last few years so I think he will sign for less elsewhere just to get the hell away from snyder and company.   if they make him the highest paid player he might stick around,  but I think he just wants to get the hell out of DC.

Does Snyder still own this team, cuz if he does that's your answer right there.

well I hope he signs somewhere for mega bucks, before Rodgers signs his extension in GB, thus driving up Rodger's asking price and making the cap a bitch for the puckers

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:

I see what you did there MB....