Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Zimmer says Vikings will ‘take our time’ with Sam Bradford’s recovery
When the Vikings beat New Orleans 29-19 in the regular-season opener, Sam Bradford threw for 346 yards and was named NFC offensive player of the week. But there’s no indication Bradford will be any sort of factor when the teams meet Sunday in a divisional playoff.
Bradford, who hasn’t played since Oct. 9 because of a knee injury, remains on injured reserve. The quarterback practiced last week for the first time in three months, but Minnesota coach Mike Zimmer indicated Monday there’s no hurry to activate him.
“We had two days of practice and he got about one-third of the reps, so we’ll just take our time and see how it goes,’’ Zimmer said.
Case Keenum will start Sunday’s game at U.S. Bank Stadium. Teddy Bridgewater is expected to be his backup even though Zimmer wouldn’t tip his hand.
“You’ll have to wait until Sunday,’’ Zimmer said.
Bradford is eligible now to be activated. If the Vikings make the Super Bowl, the last possible day they could make a decision on him would be Jan. 23.
https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/08/mi...-recovery/

....to be continued....

I get why Case will be starting he has earned the opportunity, but if he is struggling I would love to see Zimmer go Saban on the whole deal and bring in Sam and he should as long as he is 100% healthy.  If healthy he should definetly be the #2 behind case.  Teddy is a complete ???? as to where he is as a QB.  He has only had a couple snaps in 2 seasons, to bring him in off the bench to win a divisional playoff game would be insane.  

So funny, Sam has 2 days of practice with 1/3 of the reps.  And somehow that makes him ready after not playing or practicing for 4 months.  But Teddy can't possibly be ready after practicing as the #2 for 2 months. 

Quote: @greediron said:
So funny, Sam has 2 days of practice with 1/3 of the reps.  And somehow that makes him ready after not playing or practicing for 4 months.  But Teddy can't possibly be ready after practicing as the #2 for 2 months. 
I agree. I would trust Teddy a little more than Sam in this situation for several reasons. 1. As you point out, Teddy has been practicing for 2 months. 2. Teddy is more mobile and would represent less of a change for the offense. Granted, Sam would offer more arm, but less escapability. 3. Teddy has undeniable IT factor. Seems to play his best under pressure and from behind. As good as he is, I'm not sure you can say that about Sam. 

Even though having Teddy come off the bench and win this would be a story for the ages, I hope it doesn't happen. I hope Case Keenum never gives his coach reason to go Saban on him. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
I agree. I would trust Teddy a little more than Sam in this situation for several reasons. 1. As you point out, Teddy has been practicing for 2 months. 2. Teddy is more mobile and would represent less of a change for the offense. Granted, Sam would offer more arm, but less escapability. 3. Teddy has undeniable IT factor. Seems to play his best under pressure and from behind. As good as he is, I'm not sure you can say that about Sam. 

Even though having Teddy come off the bench and win this would be a story for the ages, I hope it doesn't happen. I hope Case Keenum never gives his coach reason to go Saban on him. 
Yes, the best would be for Case to continue his great season.  But as to the backups, you are right, Teddy would be less change.  The Diggs-Thielen story talks about how Teddy and Case are more similar in the put it out there for the WR to run under while Sam is more of the frozen rope.  So he would be more of the adjustment.

But again, the chance for change at QB was before Thanksgiving.  Case improved, locked down the position and is going to be the one to ride it out.

If Case goes down, Teddy won't be brought in over Sam.  No way.

As much as we all love Teddy and his story,  I dont think we see him play when a healthy Bradford is ready to go.
1). Sam has played more recently and under Shumar
2). Teddy’s short return showed how rusty he is and a playoff game is tough place to get started again
3)  Sam has had much more success than Teddy 
4). Sam already beat New Orleans once this year.
5). Sam has more talent and experience.

I would be shocked if Sam is healthyand ready and they put Teddy in before Sam.  Im a huge Teddy fan.  It was amazing and fantastic to see him come and play.  But Sam is the more ready of the two.

Quote: @Poiple said:
As much as we all love Teddy and his story,  I dont think we see him play when a healthy Bradford is ready to go.
1). Sam has played more recently and under Shumar
2). Teddy’s short return showed how rusty he is and a playoff game is tough place to get started again
3)  Sam has had much more success than Teddy 
4). Sam already beat New Orleans once this year.
5). Sam has more talent and experience.

I would be shocked if Sam is healthyand ready and they put Teddy in before Sam.  Im a huge Teddy fan.  It was amazing and fantastic to see him come and play.  But Sam is the more ready of the two.
1) No, Bridgewater is the last one to play and has been at practice with the team.

2) Fair enough, in your opinion Bridgewater was rusty on the two passes he attempted.  Bradford was very rusty the last time he played at Chicago.  You can blame the injury all you want, but there was no structural damage.  It was only pain management and he looked exactly like he did in the preseason and several games last year (@Eagles, @Bears, Colts...).

3) Bradford has never made the playoffs, and is at least 0-2 in games he played that would have had his team make the playoffs (2010 and 2016).  He's never scored more than 3 TDs in a game and, without looking, I'm guessing he's never come back from more than 10 points in a game, if even that.

4) Fair enough, but first game of the season =/= playoff game.

5) More talent?  By what standard?  Bridgewater is the only one to play in the playoffs.

You want Bradford to play, just leave it at that.  I have never understood why people need to disparage one QB to talk about the other and yes, I understand this reply is doing similar, but at least it's a reply to unsubstantiated claims.

Go all Saban and bring in Sloter. No tape on the guy and have him light up the defense with his arm and fresh "undamaged" legs. Wink