Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
These Vikings players are set to become free agents
Vikings players on Monday filed in and out of the locker room at the team’s practice facility in Eden Prairine, Minn., all wrestling with two difficult realities:
  1. After a terrific 13-3 season, the team got run out of the building with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line.
  2. In the year-to-year NFL, the team will not look the same next year.
Here is the list of 2017 Vikings players on the roster that will enter free agency this offseason, per OverTheCap.com.

QB Sam Bradford
QB Case Keenum
QB Teddy Bridgewater
RB Jerick McKinnon
WR Michael Floyd
OL Joe Berger
CB Terence Newman
DT Tom Johnson
DT Shamar Stephen
LB Emmanuel Lamur
CB Marcus Sherels
CB Tramaine Brock
K Kai Forbath
Restricted free agents:
RB Bishop Sankey
OL Nick Easton
OL Jeremiah Sirles
Exclusive rights free agents:
RB Mack Brown
S Anthony Harris
LS Jeff Overbaugh

Kind scary seeing all 3 qb's on the list lol! Or maybe not?

I'm sure Newman will let some time pass and determine if he wants to come back again. Floyd will be an interesting one to follow this offseason too.  None of our #3's really got much of a chance this year, although Wright was pretty clutch at times. 

Who I would assume we will sign: (this list will not include the QBs because I'm too damned confused about that situation):
1. Nick Easton
2. Jeremiah Sirles
3. Shamar Stephen
4. Anthony Harris

Who I wouldn't mind seeing back for the right price:
1. Jerick McKinnon (seems like a foregone conclusion that he will be gone, but I like him, so...)
2. Kai Forbath (if there's nobody else floating around who can do a better job)
3. Marcus Sherels (he's been a good player for us in his role, but isn't great CB depth)
4. Terence Newman (he's been a great player for us, but age 40 is a fossil for a CB) 

Quote: @prairieghost said:
Who I would assume we will sign: (this list will not include the QBs because I'm too damned confused about that situation):
1. Nick Easton
2. Jeremiah Sirles
3. Shamar Stephen
4. Anthony Harris

1. Jerick McKinnon (seems like a foregone conclusion that he will be gone, but I like him, so...)
3. Marcus Sherels (he's been a good player for us in his role, but isn't great CB depth)
4. Terence Newman (he's been a great player for us, but age 40 is a fossil for a CB) 

Agree on your 4 "bring back" guys. Ant Harris isn't special, but he isn't going anywhere else so we should sign him for depth but still look at S in the draft.
But in your "wouldn't mind seeing back" list...Yes, Newman is a fossil and Zimmer better give him a gold watch and cut the cord. He was getting beaten this year and he will only get worse.
I like Marcus Sherels but surprised little effort has been put in developing some alternatives in the return game. He is good as a PR and his reliability is key there, but I really thought we would let someone younger and faster bring out kickoffs (with strict instructions to kneel in the end zone unless the opportunity was great).
I can't decide about Tom Johnson. I wrote him off before 2017 but he was more than competent and might be back.
Michael Floyd disappointed me, and the only way I see him re-signed is if he receives no other offers and stays here on a cheap deal as depth.
Forbath: I would hope they look for competition, but kind of expect the team will just keep Forbath.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@prairieghost said:
1. Nick Easton
2. Jeremiah Sirles
3. Shamar Stephen
4. Anthony Harris

Agree on your 4 "bring back" guys. Ant Harris isn't special, but he isn't going anywhere else so we should sign him for depth but still look at S in the draft.
But in your "wouldn't mind seeing back" list...Yes, Newman is a fossil and Zimmer better give him a gold watch and cut the cord. He was getting beaten this year and he will only get worse.
I like Marcus Sherels but surprised little effort has been put in developing some alternatives in the return game. He is good as a PR and his reliability is key there, but I really thought we would let someone younger and faster bring out kickoffs (with strict instructions to kneel in the end zone unless the opportunity was great).
I can't decide about Tom Johnson. I wrote him off before 2017 but he was more than competent and might be back.
Michael Floyd disappointed me, and the only way I see him re-signed is if he receives no other offers and stays here on a cheap deal as depth.
Forbath: I would hope they look for competition, but kind of expect the team will just keep Forbath.
I was torn about Tom Johnson too. He's been a good player for us but he'll be 34 in August. Maybe they keep him around as valuable depth for 1 more season.
Yeah, I really see no point to keeping Floyd. If we're going to leave players on the bench most of the season who will only play small roles behind Diggs and Thielen then I'd rather one of those guys be Jarius Wright.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@prairieghost said:
1. Nick Easton
2. Jeremiah Sirles
3. Shamar Stephen
4. Anthony Harris

they have been looking for Sherels replacement, but nobody has stepped up.  2 years ago at camp they had at least 7 or 8 guys fielding punts trying to find somebody that showed more promise at their regular position as well as good ability/reliability at PR.    Sherels wasnt our intended KR this season,  they really wanted either Coley or the other rookie receiver to make enough impact to be penciled in at the job in preseason,  but they didnt.  Remember that McKinnon was out KR until Cook went down and they didnt want to risk Jet anymore on KR and they put MS back there.

tom Johnson would be nice back as a backup. If being hearing from a few ppl that star lotulelei and the vikes may end up together, just one of those on Ricky and Zim's "wants" lists? would like to hear if Geoff has heard any rumors. would make for a nice 3T to bring in and shore up the DL for a decent price...
But we need another DB, newman is nothing more than an emergency player and a coach right now. because Mac is doing OK, but we still have only 3 guys. we need probably 2 more CBs.
unless Kearse or harris can take the next step, we need someone who can fill in for sandejo when he is being knocked out.
We have a lot of moves to make.