Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making young Viking fans very happy

Love this!
i had a DIFFERENT experience with Conrad Dobler....prick.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Love this!
Well, are you going to elaborate on that, or just leave us hanging?  Smile

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Vanguard83 said:
Love this!
Well, are you going to elaborate on that, or just leave us hanging?  Smile
Sorry, I've posted it before, but here goes...

the Cardinals came out to play the Rams when I was a kid (I was a Vikings fan but loved ALL football) they were practicing at UCRiverside (still live in Riverside) this was in the '70s and 
NO One...I mean no one....went to team practices back then...especially the St. Louis Cardinals (the visiting team) anyway we watched practice and I was patient, when Dobler walked by me I had his card and pen in my hand, and I asked as politely as a ten year old can.."Mr. Dobler, can You please autograph your card for me?"

his is response was, "Get lost kid"

my pops saw my heart break then and there, I'd looked up to NFL players, they were my larger than life heroes...I wasn't into comic book characters, or movie stars or anything, just the players of the NFL. NFL films with that great old soundtrack...Vikings facemasks spewing steam out of them like dragons....my Vikings posters in my room....my NFL lunchbox, Vikings lettermans jacket Santa brought me....Loved it all

My dad was a Marine Corps first LT. During Korean War, but had a very gentle way about him. His whole life I NEVER heard the man utter a single obscenity.
He looked at me and said, "Ned, not everyone will be nice to you, but that's not the kind of man I want you to become." he asked if I understood, so I said "yes sir" but never did and still don't understand why a guy like that couldn't take 30 seconds to make a kid happy.

when I see the good stuff NFL players do now, it shows my dad was right, and people like Dobler just don't get it.

Yep, I guess his reputation for being a Dick wasn't just for opposing players on Sundays.  He was just an everyday Dick to anyone, including young fans.

Nice story, VG.  I think your dad gave you some really good advice, btw.