Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bradford back at practice - moving around
Quote: @Jamie Demaree said:
Zimmer said earlier this season that he has a plan, not sure if it will work but i have a plan he said.  Does anyone think that maybe the plan was to put Bradford on IR early enough to get him back and healthy for the playoffs to take over for Keenum ?  I was kind of against the idea until I think about all the long passes that Keenum continually under throws.  Bradford would make those throws 9 out of 10 times.  The only thing Keenum really has over Bradford is mobility and the momentum right now.  Its not just the long passes, Keenum has missed quite a few recievers along the way.  What Keenum has done has been remarkable and he deserves all the credit in the world, but this defense makes it alot easier for him, get 20 pts on the board and the game is all but won.  With Bradford those 20 points will come easier and then maybe take some pressure off the defense, or get a bigger lead and let the defense tee off.  
That is the thought that has been gnawing at the back of my brain for months. Case has been spectacular. Consistent, efficient. But how would this team look with the kind of high-powered offense we saw week one? Would we be undefeated? Would we have the #1 offense to go with our #1 defense? I wouldn't be surprised if Zimmer is having those same thoughts. But he knows he can't take out Case. Even I wouldn't. 

Even worse, and I hate to even bring it up, but what if we lose a game not because Case melts down, which would almost certainly result in benching him. But we lose a close game simply because we couldn't generate enough offense? How would that sit with Zimmer, knowing he had two superior, healthy QBs on his bench? My long-suffering purple crazy brain keeps warning me that this Case thing is all a set up by the football gods who've hated us for so long. There, I said it. Now it can't happen. :-) At any rate, I'll bet Zim has logged a lot of time on the phone with his mentors Grant and Parcells talking about this very thing. 

I think Bradford reads a defense better, BUT, I think that is his downfall as much as a positive. Keenum has a sense of urgency that carries into moving the football every play. I can't recall many times Keenum has taken "less" to be safe, to get out of a bad situation or give up on a play without a turnover. 

I think Sam's game is a knowledgeable one. Keenum's game is a gritty one. Sam ain't afraid to go to the next play, Keenum wants to take advantage of every one he gets.

No way i'd switch or prepare anyone but Keenum. BUT, I think a healthy, mobile Bradford is a guy i'm OK with putting in mid-game if I "needed to." ... but other than the "what if" type scenarios, i'm not thinking about it much other than it's hard to believe he's "healthy" again, right now...

By Odin, it's good to see him out there moving freely!  I love this guy and just wish 2017 could have been kinder to him.  Hopefully 2018 will bring this kid a SB ring!

I just can't see Zimmer playing anyone other than Case at this point.  Now Case has mentioned the offense needs to pick it up as they have struggled as of late.  But I will say this.  Two of those games, Elflein missed.  Our pass blocking suffered.  The other game was a frigid one at GB where the timing was off for everyone.  So as much as I worried about Case earlier this year, I am not worried now.

I certainly think switching to Bradford would be a desperation move and a bad idea.  I can't see him being game ready after basically not doing much for 4 months.  We are excited because he is "moving around" in practice.  That tells me he isn't going to be game ready, let alone playoff ready.  Case has this team behind him.  We win or lose with Case IMO.

Quote: @greediron said:
I just can't see Zimmer playing anyone other than Case at this point.  Now Case has mentioned the offense needs to pick it up as they have struggled as of late.  But I will say this.  Two of those games, Elflein missed.  Our pass blocking suffered.  The other game was a frigid one at GB where the timing was off for everyone.  So as much as I worried about Case earlier this year, I am not worried now.

I certainly think switching to Bradford would be a desperation move and a bad idea.  I can't see him being game ready after basically not doing much for 4 months.  We are excited because he is "moving around" in practice.  That tells me he isn't going to be game ready, let alone playoff ready.  Case has this team behind him.  We win or lose with Case IMO.
Sam isnt auditioning for the #1 spot,  that is Cases to lose,  He is competing with Teddy for the #2.  However I expect that we are going to see Case put to the test in the next few weeks and if he falters it will be very difficult to not throw the #2 in there to try and save the day.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

Sam isnt auditioning for the #1 spot,  that is Cases to lose,  He is competing with Teddy for the #2.  However I expect that we are going to see Case put to the test in the next few weeks and if he falters it will be very difficult to not throw the #2 in there to try and save the day.
I dont really see it that way.  You are right Sam isnt auditioning for the #1, he is the #1.  For years and years in the NFL players dont lose their jobs to injury, unless they cant produce on the feild as well. Sam can produce and a healthy Sam is better than the current Case.  All that being said I think it would be really tough for Zimmer to pull Case now but think of this.  The Rams preparing for Keenum !!!  You know they would focus on stopping the run and making Case beat them with his arm.  Then come game day and Bradford is announced as the starter.  They have prepared all week for Keenum and have a run stopping package in place, or they prepared for both which still splits time for them.  Meanwhile the Vikings have had 2 weeks to get Sam ready.  I wouldnt want to be in Zimmers shoes.  That is why he is the coach and we sit behind a keyboard and second guess. 

Quote: @Jamie Demaree said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

I dont really see it that way.  You are right Sam isnt auditioning for the #1, he is the #1.  For years and years in the NFL players dont lose their jobs to injury, unless they cant produce on the feild as well. Sam can produce and a healthy Sam is better than the current Case.  All that being said I think it would be really tough for Zimmer to pull Case now but think of this.  The Rams preparing for Keenum !!!  You know they would focus on stopping the run and making Case beat them with his arm.  Then come game day and Bradford is announced as the starter.  They have prepared all week for Keenum and have a run stopping package in place, or they prepared for both which still splits time for them.  Meanwhile the Vikings have had 2 weeks to get Sam ready.  I wouldnt want to be in Zimmers shoes.  That is why he is the coach and we sit behind a keyboard and second guess. 
the dont lose your job thing kind of has a statute of limitations wouldnt you think?  how long does Sam have to claim the #1 status?  I would say 4-6 weeks and the job is up for grabs.   if the replacement has proven to be very effective as Case has,  its impossible to make a change now.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Jamie Demaree said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

the dont lose your job thing kind of has a statute of limitations wouldnt you think?  how long does Sam have to claim the #1 status?  I would say 4-6 weeks and the job is up for grabs.   if the replacement has proven to be very effective as Case has,  its impossible to make a change now.
if there is no statute of limitations, Bradford is #2 and Teddy is #1  Wink

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Jamie Demaree said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

if there is no statute of limitations, Bradford is #2 and Teddy is #1  Wink
I am sure we have a few around here that carry that exact belief.

If the offensive line has problems maintaining a clean pocket, I'd rather have Case out there than Sam...