Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legendary coach Bud Grant ‘pulling as hard as anybody’ for Vikings
The Vikings have a chance to win a Super Bowl with Bud Grant still on the payroll.
Grant, the hall of fame coach who was on the wrong end of four Minnesota Super Bowls, is a consultant for the team, and you’d better believe he’s rooting hard for the Vikings to finally go back.
“Of course I’m enjoying it,” Grant said. “I’ve got an office with the Vikings. I’m there every day. I know those people. I’m certainly excited that we’ve got a shot at it. That’s all you can do, and the ball’s got to bounce right.”
Grant, 90, coached the Vikings from 1967-83 and in 1985. He led them to their only four Super Bowl appearances, losses following the 1969, 1973, 1974 and 1976 seasons.
Super Bowl LII is Feb. 4  at U.S. Bank Stadium. The Vikings, who went 13-3 and are the No. 2 seed in the NFC, are trying to become the first team play a Super Bowl in its home stadium.
“It’d be exciting,” Grant said of that possibility. “My family, we’ve grown up with the Vikings. This is my 50th year with the Vikings. I’m pulling as hard as anybody for them.”
Grant isn’t the only former coach cheering for Minnesota, which plays host to a divisional playoff game on Jan. 14. Les Steckel, the Vikings’ coach in 1984 before Grant returned for one final season, watches them play regularly in Nashville, Tenn., where he is retired.
“I’m really excited for them,” Steckel said. “I’m a big fan of (quarterback) Case Keenum and I’m cheering for the Vikings to do well.”
https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/02/le...r-vikings/

Man, it would be fitting for the Vikings to win their first Super Bowl in their home stadium.  No team has ever done it...  so it probably won't happen.  Or will it?  Remember...  no team had ever had a winning record in a temporary stadium.  Zimmer's Vikings did that.  No team had ever made the playoffs in a temporary stadium...  Zimmer's Vikings did that.  The guy keeps checking off firsts for this organization...  I want that last box CHECKED.
BOOM

I would like to see Bud Grant rallying the troops by blowing the big horn.  It would be great!!!

when ever I hear the phrase  "nobody has ever"  I am quick to say nobody has ever done anything until somebody does it.  that is the dumbest damn thing to say when talking about possible outcomes.   (hey i bet I am the first person to ever type those exact words on the internet... woo hoo another first for mankind!)

also... how many times as Vikings fans have we said or heard the phrase "at least one before I die?"   does anybody think there is a more fitting person on the planet to make that claim than Bud?

I'd love to see Bud holding the Lombardi on stage at the Super Bowl!  Bud and Zimmer holding the trophy together would be EPIC!  

A SB win would exorcise so many demons for so many fans, former players, former coaches, a city, a state...

I’ve said it before, the Vikings get to the Super Bowl, I’m crying at the end if the game no matter what the outcome is.

Just win the damn thing already!

Records or streaks are meant to be broken. Someone will ultimately play a SB in their home stadium. It will happen some day. With that said, will there ever be a team this good to have that shot? I believe this team has the best chance to break that trend and host the Lombardi in from of their home fans.

2004 Boston Red Sox.  Curse of the Bambino, Bill Bucker smashed!  2016 Cubs, Bartman epic failure year after year washed away.  2017Vikings are next on the list!