Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detroit requests to interview Vikes OC Pat Shurmur
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
who of the coaches getting tossed out, either directly (HCs) or indirectly because the HC is being replaced would be a good fit for the players we have here in minny?
I think if you hire someone like that, he's going to want to bring his own offense, which means starting all over again. The brilliance of Shurmur is that he was humble enough to keep many of the things that Turner was doing. He didn't change it completely. He refined it, improved it. Continuity. It's the most underrated thing in football. I say keep the same basic offense and promote the Stefanski guy. 
Shurmurs offense wasnt unique to Shurmur,  it has his fingerprints,  but it is likely that another offensive minded coach could build onto what is already here.  yes Norv and Pats do have completely different philosophies, but that doesnt mean that there wont be coaches out there that are more west coast influenced that could fit in nicely.... besides, who says Stefanski wouldnt want to change things to something he wants to do?  keep in mind it was Chilly that brought him to Minnesota and hes been here ever since so who knows what he wants to do for sure.
Cant's say for sure obviously, but Stef would have to be a pretty big dolt to want to change the offense he and all of his QBs already know. Especially given how well it's been working. In fact, I would imagine that Mike and Rick might want some sort of agreement on that before hiring him.

who of the coaches getting tossed out, either directly (HCs) or indirectly because the HC is being replaced would be a good fit for the players we have here in minny?
Not sure who, but it's gonna be a long line, as who wouldn't want that gig ?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I think if you hire someone like that, he's going to want to bring his own offense, which means starting all over again. The brilliance of Shurmur is that he was humble enough to keep many of the things that Turner was doing. He didn't change it completely. He refined it, improved it. Continuity. It's the most underrated thing in football. I say keep the same basic offense and promote the Stefanski guy. 
Shurmurs offense wasnt unique to Shurmur,  it has his fingerprints,  but it is likely that another offensive minded coach could build onto what is already here.  yes Norv and Pats do have completely different philosophies, but that doesnt mean that there wont be coaches out there that are more west coast influenced that could fit in nicely.... besides, who says Stefanski wouldnt want to change things to something he wants to do?  keep in mind it was Chilly that brought him to Minnesota and hes been here ever since so who knows what he wants to do for sure.
Cant's say for sure obviously, but Stef would have to be a pretty big dolt to want to change the offense he and all of his QBs already know. Especially given how well it's been working. In fact, I would imagine that Mike and Rick might want some sort of agreement on that before hiring him.
who says he is even comfortable with the system himself?  yes hes been exposed to it,  but it doesnt mean that its his,  I dont think playcalling in the NFL is a matter of what plays are on the play sheet,  its a matter of knowing what plays to use to set up what the defense is showing in specific instances.  IMO play callings is very much an art and not really something easily handed off to others.  some guys have it some dont regardless of how long they have been in a system or what ever.  maybe hes the man,  but I dont think hiring from within is any less risky than bringing in some other candidate from a west coast type system.  if there was a coach that has been with Shurmur for a while I would be more inclined to think he would be the likley candidate,  but I would also bet that Pat would take him with him.

What Shumar has done here is pretty amazing when you consider the multiple Qbs and the improvment in O line play.   
I think his success is much to do with him measuring his players strengths and weaknesses and tailoring a plan to help them play their best.
People take this for granted but we have seen too many stiff necked coaches just in this organization.   I dont think most fans fully appreciate his value.

Quote: @Poiple said:
What Shumar has done here is pretty amazing when you consider the multiple Qbs and the improvment in O line play.   
I think his success is much to do with him measuring his players strengths and weaknesses and tailoring a plan to help them play their best.
People take this for granted but we have seen too many stiff necked coaches just in this organization.   I dont think most fans fully appreciate his value.
I agree.  I wish there was a way to make him happy with an assistant HC title and nice pay raise.  give him more rope to keep him here and keep the system in place.  

@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
who says he is even comfortable with the system himself?  yes hes been exposed to it,  but it doesnt mean that its his,  I dont think playcalling in the NFL is a matter of what plays are on the play sheet,  its a matter of knowing what plays to use to set up what the defense is showing in specific instances.  IMO play callings is very much an art and not really something easily handed off to others.  some guys have it some dont regardless of how long they have been in a system or what ever.  maybe hes the man,  but I dont think hiring from within is any less risky than bringing in some other candidate from a west coast type system.  if there was a coach that has been with Shurmur for a while I would be more inclined to think he would be the likley candidate,  but I would also bet that Pat would take him with him.
Definitely agree that play calling is a whole separate thing from designing an offense. I'm no expert, but I've always thought of it as a kind of dance (or another activity I won't mention). It requires having a good feel for rhythm and momentum. And regardless of the offense's design, you can either "dance" or you can't. 

No two ways around it. Pat Shurmur has been brilliant at calling plays. This is the first time in many years that I haven't found myself screaming at the TV over play calling. No matter who we bring in, I fear we're going to miss him. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Definitely agree that play calling is a whole separate thing from designing an offense. I'm no expert, but I've always thought of it as a kind of dance (or another activity I won't mention). It requires having a good feel for rhythm and momentum. And regardless of the offense's design, you can either "dance" or you can't. 

No two ways around it. Pat Shurmur has been brilliant at calling plays. This is the first time in many years that I haven't found myself screaming at the TV over play calling. No matter who we bring in, I fear we're going to miss him. 
the one complaint I have had this year is the team running into stacked boxes on first down,  way to many times we get in the mode that we are going to run the clock and we wont audible out of that no matter what.  When I can count 8 or 9 guys within the tackle box, and inside of 5 yards of the LOS on the defensive side of the ball ( sometimes more) and we still run into that .... Its a head scratcher and really makes me wonder how much confidence Shurmur and Zim have in Keenum.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@AGRforever said:
schurmar is gone. id let him interview if he wants the detroit job.  no readon to sandbag him. 
The Vikings don't have a say in letting him interview, any coordinator is allowed to interview for a head coaching position (promotion) without the teams permission. Teams just need to formally address who they want to interview, which is why they submit the request. 

MN only have two right when it comes to their coordinators interviewing. They can select the times they're available for interviews (yes, they have to give a time they can't say it won't fit in the schedule) and they can require the interview to happen in Minnesota. Typically, this is the norm and its done in a hotel/conference room. 
Well in Detroit's case, that might be an advantage.  But typically that seems like it would be awkward.  Not getting to see the facilities, and get to meet many of the people.

How many coordinators have been hired from the bye week teams since they allowed it? 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@A1Janitor said:
I am more concerned with finding a good OC that can keep this going than losing anyone to Detroit. 
Expect Kevin Stefanski to get a strong look internally for the OC job when Shurmur leaves.

[Image: 4e949cb56ad34828bdb486947d353296.jpg]
He gets my vote Sticky when Shurmur leaves.

@JimmyinSD said:
I do like that about Shurmur.  He has blended the different influences so well.  The WCO, Kelly's up tempo, Turner's offense. 

I don't like losing good coordinators.  It is an art form and Shurmur has that figured out.