Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detroit requests to interview Vikes OC Pat Shurmur
If Shurmur does leave to be a Head Coach...  I hope he keeps his hands off the Vikings assistant coaches.

I'd be pleased if he accepted that Cardinals job. I've thought for weeks that the Bears would come calling so I'm not surprised at all about that. Hopefully he doesn't go to a division rival, though. The Cardinals are my other team so I'd like to see Shurmur end up there if he's going to leave us.

A good offensive line and a decently mobile QB usually equates to a pretty good O-coordinator. I like Shurmur very much, but the Vikings can certainly be successful with a new guy calling the plays. He benefited from the upgrades on the line, it allowed him to call the game utilizing all of the playbook. When you win 13 games, teams come sniffing around after the season, goes with the territory.

Cook returns, another decent Draft and a FA signing or two and this job looks GREAT for the new guy, whomever that may be. Oh yeah, new facility in Eagan with state of the art everything.  

10h
#Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur will interview with the Lions and the Cardinals for head positions on Thursday in the Twin Cities. He plans to interview with the Bears but that one hasn't been scheduled yet. Updated story. twincities.com/2018/01/01/tea…

Quote: @Wetlander said:
If Shurmur does leave to be a Head Coach...  I hope he keeps his hands off the Vikings assistant coaches.
^^^This. Vikings have to find a way to keep going what they have on offense.

Man, the NFL drives me crazy. These owners and GMs can be such idiots with all these changes. For this guy, fire that guy. Alex Smith endures 6 different offenses in 5 years and they wonder why the former #1 overall pick is a bust. Same with Sam Bradford. Well, turns out they weren't busts. Just needed some stability, some continuity. I could go on and on...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

^^^This. Vikings have to find a way to keep going what they have on offense.

Man, the NFL drives me crazy. These owners and GMs can be such idiots with all these changes. For this guy, fire that guy. Alex Smith endures 6 different offenses in 5 years and they wonder why the former #1 overall pick is a bust. Same with Sam Bradford. Well, turns out they weren't busts. Just needed some stability, some continuity. I could go on and on...
That is why I'm surprised the Lions fired Caldwell...  was he a great coach?  No.  But he seemed to have instilled a culture of winning in Detroit.  They made the playoffs ONCE in the 15 years prior to hiring him.  Under Caldwell, they made it to the playoffs TWICE in four years.  I thought they had found the right guy and seemed like they were becoming relevant in the NFC North again.  Change for the sake of change isn't always good.  This might come back to haunt Detroit if they don't get the right guy.

Shurmur has been a good OC. But I am not entirely sure it is all him. I don't think we will have too much of a hard time replacing him, we just need to avoid trying to use a big name dinosaur with an outdated game plan like Turner again. 

who of the coaches getting tossed out, either directly (HCs) or indirectly because the HC is being replaced would be a good fit for the players we have here in minny?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
who of the coaches getting tossed out, either directly (HCs) or indirectly because the HC is being replaced would be a good fit for the players we have here in minny?
I think if you hire someone like that, he's going to want to bring his own offense, which means starting all over again. The brilliance of Shurmur is that he was humble enough to keep many of the things that Turner was doing. He didn't change it completely. He refined it, improved it. Continuity. It's the most underrated thing in football. I say keep the same basic offense and promote the Stefanski guy. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I think if you hire someone like that, he's going to want to bring his own offense, which means starting all over again. The brilliance of Shurmur is that he was humble enough to keep many of the things that Turner was doing. He didn't change it completely. He refined it, improved it. Continuity. It's the most underrated thing in football. I say keep the same basic offense and promote the Stefanski guy. 
Shurmurs offense wasnt unique to Shurmur,  it has his fingerprints,  but it is likely that another offensive minded coach could build onto what is already here.  yes Norv and Pats do have completely different philosophies, but that doesnt mean that there wont be coaches out there that are more west coast influenced that could fit in nicely.... besides, who says Stefanski wouldnt want to change things to something he wants to do?  keep in mind it was Chilly that brought him to Minnesota and hes been here ever since so who knows what he wants to do for sure.