Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waynes...
https://twitter.com/jrm531/status/946108...wsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.startribune.com%2Fmailbag-trae-waynes-has-quietly-reduced-the-penalty-flags-in-third-season%2F467140883%2F

A: Trae Waynes has played well for the NFL's No. 1 defense in both yards (280.9) and points (16.1) allowed in Minnesota. He's been another efficient run defender for the Vikings and has continued to grow in coverage. Waynes is tied with teammate Xavier Rhodes with nine pass deflections, including two interceptions. He is targeted more often while quietly cutting out the penalties. Waynes has been flagged just once since the Vikings' last meeting with Chicago on Oct. 9. However, while being a stout run defender, he has missed six tackles in coverage,according to Pro Football Focus, which is 10th-most among cornerbacks. Still consider him likely to be under contract through 2019 when his option is expected to be picked up this spring. The move is also more palatable because of his 11th-overall draft position, lessening the cost by millions. Under the fifth-year options, players drafted in the top 10 are paid the top-10 average at their position. First-round picks taken outside the top 10 are paid the average between the third- and 25th-highest paid at their positions.
http://www.startribune.com/mailbag-trae-...467140883/

Dam straight  his option should be picked up  he is a good player with the arrow  strongly pointed up

It's fun watching these guys develop, XR had a lot of polishing and he's special now.  I like Coach Zims tough love approach with his young players.  Nice to see Waynes improve hope Mac Alexander follows suit. 

He’s really cleaned up the flags…pretty shocked about the
missed tackles…with Rhodes being the immovable object, Waynes is starting to
become an irresistible force on the opposite side…add to that, Alexander doesn’t
seem to be picked on much and Newman is still solid…there’s really no where for
an O to target in the passing game…

this is an absolute no brainer... sometimes players are taken for their ceiling and not just the immediate impact.  sometimes they just take a couple years to really get a feel for the game and thats when their abilities really shine through.

The following is just an observation from watching the games on TV...

Seems to me the Vikings secondary as a whole has been blessed with a lot of dropped passes by opposing WR's this season
& I remember seeing him getting burned on a lot of deep passes that just missed

So I'll go with
Still seems to early to tell

Quote: @Maple Surple said:

Seems to me the Vikings secondary as a whole has been blessed with a lot of dropped passes by opposing WR's this season

So I'll go with
and where are QBs instructed to go with the ball on deep passes if they  are concerned.... 

all corners get beat deep once in a while due to being so tight on the underneath stuff,  the good/great corners are still in the QBs mind and they know that if that pass is underthrown its likely a pick so even in getting beat,  its a win for the CB because his reputation is forcing over throws.

Quote: @Maple Surple said:

So I'll go with
Seems to me, several "dropped" passes have been the result of tight coverage, DB hands on the ball or just coverage that forced such a narrow window on the deep sideline.

X gets away with much more physicality now that he is establish, Waynes has to play very clean and still seems to do a damn good job IMO.

Well I think some drops were because they had the yips going over the middle, but, especially early in games, guys were just dropping them
&
Yes, he has had some tight coverage deep and is getting better looking back for the ball
and not drawing a dumb penalty on a throw away deep pass

Fortunatly for us, if anyone knows the answer to the question, it's Zim
He had tough calls to make with Captain, X & the old man who keeps chugging along...

& like I said, just an observation as I don't know a site that tracks how many catchable balls players dropped against us, just seems we have dodged our share of bullets

I'm probably in the minority, but Waynes still makes me a bit nervous.  Although he is doing better this year.  But yes, I think we should pick up his 5th year option.  No vet has come in played lights out year one in Zimmer's defense, other than maybe Newman who's been with Zim since birth.  Everyone else has needed at least 2-3 years before things started to click.  I think I could make a compelling argument that we'd be better served signing Waynes to a 3-4 year contract extension, this offseason, then we would be picking up his 5th year deal.  But in all fairness it would come down to the dollars required to accept that 5th year option.  Getting paid as a top 10 CB could be a bit pricey for the level he's actually played and a guess at what his production "could" be next year.  Maybe the whole Floyd thing has slightly turned me off to the 5th year option a bit.