Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Much?
As I recall you VikeFans name is a mash up of you kids names, right? Holding them in my prayers tonight (along with yourself) as well. It’s tough on everyone in the family. Sounds like you are a strong guy though. You got this!

Good story Clan. prayers and quick healing to you brother

Quote: @Clanzomaelan said:
@prairieghost said:
Hey Clanzo, I had no idea you were going through this! I'm so glad that it sounds like things are heading in the right direction for you. I too know the feeling of the slit throat, as I had the right half of my thyroid removed in March. I had a pretty good sized nodule but mine turned out to be noncancerous. I had been experiencing a swallowing issue for literally 2 years or more. I figured it was a globus sensation from my acid reflux and just ignored it. Finally it got to the point where I felt like I had a big old glob stuck in my throat and it was driving me crazy. Turned out I had this nodule. I was lucky as I said because mine wasn't cancerous and I only had to stay in the hospital overnight. The slit throat gets tight, no doubt! I did "neck stretches" a lot to get the muscles loosened up again and now several months later I feel like it is back to normal in that regard. Obviously though you have a much, MUCH MUCH bigger and nastier incision than I have--mine is probably about 3 inches long in total.
I continue to have the glob feeling, however. It isn't as bad as it was but I still have it. I can actually pop my hyoid bone back and forth. I have had a CT scan and an MRI and yet there's no answer to the glob feeling.
You have my very best wishes Clanzo! I will keep you in my prayers!!
Wow! I was thinking someone had to have surgery this. It's actually fairly common (Thyroidectomy). The neck dissection isn't as common. 

How long was your neck tight for? That's a wild sensation. I'm certain part of it it's just tension and stress of stretching the incision, but I'm turning my head more and more each day. 

Also, it's weird to have the swollen feeling in your throat. Lots of new sensations...

My wife just measured, and the incision is 8" - 9". Geez.

BTW... If you have a nurse in your life, thank them for me. Amazing people with a special gift.
I think I felt the tightness for probably around 3 months, but my incision is like a third of the length yours is! It definitely takes some time but the neck exercises help a lot. 

My cousin is actually a nurse practitioner. It is a blessing to have someone like her in the family. I am a transcriptionist at the same facility where she works and I transcribe her reports often, which is kind of fun. As well, one of my high school classmates is a family practice physician at the same facility and I transcribe her dictation also. I am quite fortunate to have these 2 gals in my life that’s for sure!

Please keep us updated on how you’re doing Clanzo. You will be in my prayers!

Good luck, man.  That is some intense treatment. 

Clanzo, good luck and best wishes sent.  Thanks for telling your story.  Your writting style is witty, humurous and interesting, but you're modesty of the tough times you're going through also shows the kind of person you are.

Good to hear you have your wife with you for support, and helping you stay strong.  Stay brave; keep up the fight with your chin held high!  I agree about health professional care givers - they're awesome!  I've spent the better part of the past year around them supporting my mom's illness, and I have an all-time great respect for them (from the nurse-aides to therepists to the docs).

Hang in there, and wear that new purple gear with pride! 

Thanks for sharing, get better, and G0 VIKES!

Sending my best wishes your way Clanzo.  Like others have mentioned, your upbeat attitude during all of this is incredible.  Keep up the fight man!

Best wishes, Clanzo.  Keep fighting!

And I think it would be rude not to bring your nurse some mylar Vikings balloons. You know, just a little something to console her for her loss.

Wow glad it went well brotha! You keep smilin and healin and you'll be screaming alongside the rest of us for the superbowl before ya know it!

Quote: @Al (The Lochstar) Heurung said:
Wow glad it went well brotha! You keep smilin and healin and you'll be screaming alongside the rest of us for the superbowl before ya know it!
My year would be made all better if that happened...

I go in tomorrow for follow up, and to potentially get my staples removed (fingers crossed BIG TIME).

Funny story... Today, I left the house for a bit to follow up with my primary care doctor. When I went to the admissions window. The admissions person wasn't looking up to greet me and when I got there, she looked up, saw my neck, gasped, and inadvertently reached for her neck.

She then profusely apologized (I wasn't offended... Honestly... It's pretty gruesome).

The funny thing is that Mrs. Clanzomaelan saw this from across the very large lobby, and got a bit Momma Bear... She was immediately at my side asking (pleasantly), "Everything okay over here?"

After I assured my Wife that we were all good, the receptionist and I had a very pleasant conversation about why I had the incision, etc.

It's just an instictive reaction when you see something so unnatural!

For the record, the scars die down over time, and end up about a shade darker than your normal skin tone. Until then, I'm going to have to find new and inventive ways to have fun with this!

I'll update the board tomorrow! Fingers crossed that I don't have staples in my neck for X-Mas pics!

WOW! Thanks for sharing, Clanzo. I admire your strength, positive attitude, & humor. Best of wishes going forward.