Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Much?
Geez Clanzo, I think you have the right attitude for a full recovery.  Thanks for sharing your scary-as-hell and laugh-in-the-face-of-danger adventure in medicine.  Best of luck and please, brother, keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you all for the well wishes. I'm thinking of picking up some purple sweats from Target to complete the ensemble.

If you haven't, check out Radioactive Iodine Treatment. That's next. I'll likely be very active during that time (you have to be sequestered from human contact because you're radioactive).

I may start a Check Your Neck reminder going forward. If you feel like something is off, or out of place, get to a pro to evaluate it. My Wife noticed a lump in my neck when I was changing, and in a weird twist, I actually asked her to set an appointment for me. Normally I'd ignore it. I thought it was a goiter (just a lovely name... I'm starting a national petition to change "Goiter" to "Neck Butterfly," and I'd even settle for "Quatto"). Turned it it was one of the three lymph nodes that had cancer, and were Walnut sized.

Got to the doc and less than 2 months later, I was opened up. Pretty nuts stuff. I realize the severity and how lucky I am, but being positive and having a sense of humor is really the only way I can cope with things.

I really appreciate all of the positivity!

BTW... It turns out that having your throat slit feels exactly as you might expect... Like your throat has been slit! Gross, I know!

Clanzo way to stay positive and glad you are feeling better.  Keep us informed and maybe by her a viking tissue box to cry in since her season will soon be over.

Wow man great attitude and that’s really important when battling cancer.  Very happy it’s going well for you and at the same time sorry that you have to go thru this.  Give the packer nurse all the good natured crap you can... she deserves it. :p   Fiesty nurses rule.   =)   

My Mom had a Dr Page remove her colon cancer and the first thing she said to him when he introduced himself was something like... Oh he was my favorite player on the Vikings.  

Best of luck dude, I’ll be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.  

Healing thoughts and prayers!

Hey Clanzo, I had no idea you were going through this! I'm so glad that it sounds like things are heading in the right direction for you. I too know the feeling of the slit throat, as I had the right half of my thyroid removed in March. I had a pretty good sized nodule but mine turned out to be noncancerous. I had been experiencing a swallowing issue for literally 2 years or more. I figured it was a globus sensation from my acid reflux and just ignored it. Finally it got to the point where I felt like I had a big old glob stuck in my throat and it was driving me crazy. Turned out I had this nodule. I was lucky as I said because mine wasn't cancerous and I only had to stay in the hospital overnight. The slit throat gets tight, no doubt! I did "neck stretches" a lot to get the muscles loosened up again and now several months later I feel like it is back to normal in that regard. Obviously though you have a much, MUCH MUCH bigger and nastier incision than I have--mine is probably about 3 inches long in total.
I continue to have the glob feeling, however. It isn't as bad as it was but I still have it. I can actually pop my hyoid bone back and forth. I have had a CT scan and an MRI and yet there's no answer to the glob feeling.
You have my very best wishes Clanzo! I will keep you in my prayers!!

Jesucristo Clanzo! 

Wishing you a speedy recovery man...

Quote: @prairieghost said:
Hey Clanzo, I had no idea you were going through this! I'm so glad that it sounds like things are heading in the right direction for you. I too know the feeling of the slit throat, as I had the right half of my thyroid removed in March. I had a pretty good sized nodule but mine turned out to be noncancerous. I had been experiencing a swallowing issue for literally 2 years or more. I figured it was a globus sensation from my acid reflux and just ignored it. Finally it got to the point where I felt like I had a big old glob stuck in my throat and it was driving me crazy. Turned out I had this nodule. I was lucky as I said because mine wasn't cancerous and I only had to stay in the hospital overnight. The slit throat gets tight, no doubt! I did "neck stretches" a lot to get the muscles loosened up again and now several months later I feel like it is back to normal in that regard. Obviously though you have a much, MUCH MUCH bigger and nastier incision than I have--mine is probably about 3 inches long in total.
I continue to have the glob feeling, however. It isn't as bad as it was but I still have it. I can actually pop my hyoid bone back and forth. I have had a CT scan and an MRI and yet there's no answer to the glob feeling.
You have my very best wishes Clanzo! I will keep you in my prayers!!
Wow! I was thinking someone had to have surgery this. It's actually fairly common (Thyroidectomy). The neck dissection isn't as common. 

How long was your neck tight for? That's a wild sensation. I'm certain part of it it's just tension and stress of stretching the incision, but I'm turning my head more and more each day. 

Also, it's weird to have the swollen feeling in your throat. Lots of new sensations...

My wife just measured, and the incision is 8" - 9". Geez.

BTW... If you have a nurse in your life, thank them for me. Amazing people with a special gift.

Yikes!  Glad you're OK and could keep laughing through it.  And yes, wear the shirt and the beanie!

Clanzo, Good luck and a fully and speedy recovery!