Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New TV On The Horizon
I'm not going to say my current TV is old, but I got it at Circuit City and happily paid about $1800 for it on sale...

I'm thinking of a Samsung 65" curved set...reviews on Best Buy seem mostly favorable...anyone have one or a better alternative around $1300?

we just bought the 65” mu8000. its flat screen not curved. its interface is fantastic.  its remote auto learns everything but the wii. 

theres not enough 4k content to really judge but the stuff off youtube is fantastic. the only bitch i have is that theres no componet in on it. not everything i have is hdmi so ive had to buy a converter. 

we save all our change and cash it in every decade or so. so we upgrade on a similar schedual. 

Jimmy in SD just went through the tv buying process...

Smart TV would be key for me, get the biggest you can get...

Here:

https://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/buying-guide/

Never been much of a "big" tv guy. Just about a month ago, I finally replaced my 19" RCA that has been flawlessly emitting a cozy glow in a bedroom or another since the Reagan Administration.  My guilty pleasure has always been audio. 

But I paid for college by working in my dad's TV repair shop. TV repair. Now there's an anachronism. Historically, Sony TVs were the best and nobody else was close. Now, most TVs are made by the same contract manufacturer, so brand doesn't really matter. I'd go with the TV whose picture and price you like best. If you can stomach it, you might compare the price at Walmart. There's a myth that says manufacturers send inferior versions of their products to Walmart, but it's not true. You can frequently get the same TV for about 15 to 20% less.  And you can avoid the clueless khaki and polo pinheads that chase you around at Best Buy. 

Yah, Walmart prices are fine. But IF you have a Costco membership? you'll be hard-pressed to beat their prices. Plus you used to get an extra year or 2 of warranty there too. 

The thing to watch for with the lower proce places is they may have a similar model in size and such but it will often be missing some of the features and fewer HDMI ports.

[Image: wzoo9bcrdni2.jpeg]
This TV has Florida written all over it!  B) B) B)

Ok so I will try to keep it short as I get carried away over A/V shit. I went through this process last year and ended getting a 75 inch xbr940c sony which was different than everything I was originally looking at but turned out to be a killer deal on a TV that was originally $6500 when it came out and I got it for $3,300. Your needs are probably different though as 75" was the smallest I was willing to go since I sit 12 ft from my TV and based on the percentage ratio of viewing area from that distance, 78" was the recommended size.

Full Array Local Dimming should be a must, but doesnt really fit into your price range at that size TV. Contrast is the least important thing on most peoples list when looking at TV quality but it makes one of the biggest differences in overall picture quality. You will get the most out of your HDR and 4k Content with FALD and its a huge difference between edge lit panels on other led tvs. HDR is something you should future proof against so dont skimp on something that wouldnt have that or dolby vision. 4k is everywhere now, pretty much every new series on netflix is now in 4k or, even better, HDR. Directv has 4k receivers out and will grow quickly as 4k tvs are really cheap now. I have traditionally been a fan of sony and samsung as well as the LG OLED stuff but the LGs were way too expensive when I was looking last year for a 75 incher.

TCL is the fastest growing TV company right now and they make a great product. Their TV's have been beating samsung in head to head tests and other premium brands while offering a great price point. TCL makes everything themselves except the processor/cpu of the TV including their own panels. If I was on the hunt now I would go for a TCL but still happy with my sony. For the best bang for your buck and picture quality I would get the C series TCL 65" its about $1100 at walmart, it doesnt have FALD but its a great picture for your price range. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-65-Class-4K-2160P-Dolby-Vision-HDR-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-65C807/279606546?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=176&adid=22222222227094484939&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=212795788756&wl4=pla-342547654782&wl5=9028731&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=108212685&wl11=online&wl12=279606546&wl13=&veh=sem

The samsung is a good TV but I wouldnt get a curved one, they pick up even more glare than the flat units and screen viewing at odd angles sucks IMO. Check up on the reviews of the C series TCL, doubt you'll be disappointed if you go that route. And just for reference I am a huge samsung fan with 3 of their phones and two flat screens in the past that treated me well, certainly think they are a good brand. The vizio P-series is a good tv that has FALD in your price range and worth a look too.