Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Observations from the Three Quarter Mark
My apologies for the lack of submissions, lately...the good and bad is that every facet of my life got much more involved and time-consuming recently, as well as dealing with some craptastic viral junk ('tis the season), so...yeah, I've only been able to post in the short bursts of random attention I have, nowadays.

That said...

...I've been pretty damned astounded by our team this season.  When Sam went down and we looked so very milquetoast in the two losses, I was doing the same cringing most of you were, watching another promising season be torpedoed by seemingly wrathful football gods.  While I'd liked Case in preseason, I was very aware that he was a journeyman that had failed to consistently impress, and some of that showed in a few of the earlier games.  As Sam's return got less a and less likely, it got very odd to follow the storylines of an improving Case Keenum while Teddy Bridgewater triumphantly returned to...the sidelines.

Meanwhile, our defense kept rolling over our opponents and our offense quietly climbed the rankings...and the wins kept coming.

Harry is everywhere on the field, every game.  Kendricks is the explosive whirl of hair and purple we've come to know and love.  Griffen keeps grinding out the sacks, while Hunter, Joseph, and the rest up front are harassing QBs and stuffing RBs.  Rhodes has all but marginalized many of the NFL's best receivers, Waynes has become a great open-field tackler, and even Sandejo is stepping up and into the level of play our defense is known for.

Thielen is packing on the yards every week, Diggs and Rudolph are dangerous everywhere, while the duo of Murray and McKinnon are making plays and grinding out the tough yards on a constant basis.  The offensive trenchmen (excepting Remmers, whose back continues to be an issue) are keeping Keenum, Murray, and McKinnon cleaner than not...it's all working.

I'll admit that, even in the throes of offseason purple-Kool-Aid chugging, my best prediction for our regular season record was 12-4.  I saw what everyone else saw in the latter half of our schedule: Washington (beat us last season), Detroit (swept us last season, beat us earlier this season), Atlanta (most recent NFC champs), Carolina, etc etc etc.  It was concerning as hell, as every analyst pointed out when our wins began stacking up.  We (supposedly) weren't as good as Philly, we maybe looked good for a Wild Card, and so on.

But the wins kept coming, against more and more winning teams...at home, on the road, wherever.

I have to say that this is the most balanced Vikings team I've been able to watch and comprehend, as I was awfully young in the '70s.  This team looks more complete than the '98ers, better balanced (and much, MUCH less obnoxious) than the Burt Favor years, and truly seems to keep its focus on the NEXT GAME; it's always about the next game.

I'm a lifelong fan in my mid-40s, and I've had as many laughs as I've had profane snarls over time.  I've gotta say, though...as much as I'm not one to yell "it's our year" before we prove it, there isn't a single opponent that really worries me...even going into February.

This team is the real f***king thing, and I don't think they've really peaked yet.  All that matters is the next game, so bring on Fig Cam Newton.  We're the better damned team.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

Thanks Z...

Happy Holidays to you! 

Battle tested & talented team, on paper should win the bulk of their remaining games. Will be disappointed if we don't make a deep playoff run this year.

Skol, enjoy the ride...

Nice to see you Z.  Great post.  Dont let real lofe get in the way of this Viking season.

BOOM

Joseph has really impressed me this season on defense.  The dude is EVERYWHERE.  I don't think I've seen a NT chasing plays to the sideline AND making the tackle EVER.  He's really blossomed into an All-Pro this season and is a huge reason for our defensive success.

Case and Thielen have really impressed me this year as well.  Both have stood out with some exceptional play this season.  Thielen should get quite a few awards and it's crazy to see Keenum being mentioned as a potential MVP candidate...

Regardless of how this season turns out, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  What a year and we still have 4 games left before the playoffs...

Life is always a little bit better when the Vikings are kicking ass!!!

BOOM

Always look forward to these posts Z.  Hope you find the time to grace us with a few more as the season and playoffs roll on.

great post Z.  love your takes.

Great to have ya' back, Z.  Love your take on the games and team.  Hope things get back to normal for ya'.