Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sabermetrics in Cleveland lasts less than 2 years
Tom Pelissero‏Verified account @TomPelissero 6m6 minutes ago
More
The #Browns[Image: NFL_2017_CLEBrowns.png] have fired Sashi Brown, source said (as ESPN said). The long-term plan for the football operation lasted less than 2 years.

It's hard to feel sorry for a team that does everything it can to obsess on an immediate one-year fix to a decades old problems. 
How the Browns faithful must long for the Sam Rutigliano days... Sad

As a regretful fantasy owner of Isaiah Crowell, I sometimes watch this team. They seriously have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, but watching them reminds me just how utterly clueless they are. Reminds me of watching Norv. And not just in Minnesota, but San Diego too. Had zero feel for the rhythm of play calling. 

Well, the upside is, if we want Hue Jackson to replace Shurmur, he'll be available shortly...

John Dorsey - G - Free Agent
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Browns have "eyes on" former Chiefs GM John Dorsey.
Surprisingly fired by the Chiefs in June, Dorsey has already been linked with the Giants and now the Browns. Rapoport reports Cleveland has been "privately" vetting general manager candidates over the last few weeks, so it is possible they will move quickly if they have decided Dorsey is their guy. Owner Jimmy Haslam has already said Hue Jackson will remain the coach in 2018, so the incoming general manager will have to be comfortable with Jackson.
Related: BrownsSource: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
This would be a good move...until the owner doesn't get immediate gratification and fires him as well...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
John Dorsey - G - Free Agent
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Browns have "eyes on" former Chiefs GM John Dorsey.
Surprisingly fired by the Chiefs in June, Dorsey has already been linked with the Giants and now the Browns. Rapoport reports Cleveland has been "privately" vetting general manager candidates over the last few weeks, so it is possible they will move quickly if they have decided Dorsey is their guy. Owner Jimmy Haslam has already said Hue Jackson will remain the coach in 2018, so the incoming general manager will have to be comfortable with Jackson.
Related: BrownsSource: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
This would be a good move...until the owner doesn't get immediate gratification and fires him as well...

Not to mention the QB that they'll draft in the first round and throw into the breech come the season opener.  Sigh...
Ownership is so reticent to simply tell their fan base, "look, it's gonna take a few years to be competitive" and keep the coaching and management in place who share a common goal.  But I know I would not take a GM job without having a coach and staff of my choosing.  Having to retain a head coach with one win in two years would not be the way I want to start my tenure.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
It's hard to feel sorry for a team that does everything it can to obsess on an immediate one-year fix to a decades old problems. 
Sam Rutigliano, now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.  Browns are so lost, I'm not there is anyone out there that could come in and actually turn them around.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@Ralphie said:
Sam Rutigliano, now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.  Browns are so lost, I'm not there is anyone out there that could come in and actually turn them around.

Here's Sammy's record.  Only Blanton Collier and Paul Brown coached longer.  Most lasted one to three years.  Sad...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cl...ad_coaches

NFL
TeamYearRegular seasonPostseason
WonLostTiesWin %FinishWonLostWin %Result
CLE1978880.5003rd in AFC Central-
CLE1979970.5633rd in AFC Central
CLE19801150.6881st in AFC Central01.000Lost to Oakland Raiders in AFC Divisional Game.
CLE19815110.3134th in AFC Central
CLE1982450.4443rd in AFC Central01.000Lost to L.A. Raiders in AFC Wild-Card Game.
CLE1983970.5632nd in AFC Central
CLE1984170.1253rd in AFC Central
CLE Total47500.48502.000

As I'm one of the seemingly few that remember when the Browns were a NFL powerhouse, to see the feckless ownership and their desperate yearly attempts to regain their glory with quick fix, flash-in-the-pan QB's, coaches and GM's is sad and pathetic.  How the Browns fans have kept from storming Lou Groza Boulevard with pitchforks and torches all these years is beyond me!
Clue for ya' Cleveland:  Wanna stop being a doormat to Pitt, Cincy and Baltimore?  GET A DEFENSE!

Quote: @Ralphie said:
As I'm one of the seemingly few that remember when the Browns were a NFL powerhouse, to see the feckless ownership and their desperate yearly attempts to regain their glory with quick fix, flash-in-the-pan QB's, coaches and GM's is sad and pathetic.  How the Browns fans have kept from storming Lou Groza Boulevard with pitchforks and torches all these years is beyond me!
Clue for ya' Cleveland:  Wanna stop being a doormat to Pitt, Cincy and Baltimore?  GET A DEFENSE!

True story, I was almost a Browns fan...first game I watched was the Browns and somebody...I was impressed with Bill Nelson...next weekend they played the Vikings and got annihilated...