Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One QB in the Hand is Worth Two In the Bush
I won't be surprised to see Case being the only Viking QB getting shiny new contract for the team next year.  With home field advantage at stake, I seriously doubt Teddy sees any meaningful play time this season, if Case stays healthy.

What if Sam proves he's 100% healthy come playoff time?  I think the team would still stick with Case.  He's playing that well, and is way more mobile than Sam.

If the Vikes really wanted a QB battle, then they'd have to sign them to new contracts.  Would they even consider doing that?  I think there's a good chance only one of the three gets a new deal from the Vikes, and the others walk.

The team knows what they have in Case, and are probably just as surprised as us fans that he just keeps improving.  What a strange year, and nobody expected to see Case be the hard earned #1 QB for the team. 

It took awhile for me to believe, and I do now.  He's the real deal, and it looks like the Vikes finally found their starting QB.

I think the team has to sign Case to a multi-year deal at this point.  No way do you let a QB who has had this kind of success just walk out the door.

I think what happens with Teddy is basically up to him.  If he is ok with competing for the starting job and signing an incentive-laden deal, I could see the team bringing him back as well.  However, if he insists on a franchise QB type of contract after not seeing the field for 2 seasons, I think the team's hand will be forced and they'll have to let him walk.  I hope that's not the case.

They could also bring back Sam as the veteran backup but I doubt he would ever sign for that type of money considering what he's been paid so far over his career.  Maybe only if he thought his knee could only hold up for a few games at a time and still had the desire to play.

Once again, it's never boring in Vikings-land, even in the offseason.

I think Sam is done here - I just don't see him next spring competing to start with Case or Teddy. My gut tells me he will retire

I still want to see how Teddy would perform with this O-Line / Offensive scheme. I think he would be excellent. Going to be very interesting off season, wether we win the Super Bowl or not - BIG QB Decisions will be made.

I see either Teddy or Case being our starter next year, with the young guy we picked up, Sloter, as the back up IF he has been showing great promise.

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
I still want to see how Teddy would perform with this O-Line / Offensive scheme. I think he would be excellent. Going to be very interesting off season, wether we win the Super Bowl or not - BIG QB Decisions will be made.

I see either Teddy or Case being our starter next year, with the young guy we picked up, Sloter, as the back up IF he has been showing great promise.

How much money would that tie up in the QB position to sign them both?  Case is going to get a starting QB salary with the way he's playing, but Teddy may get that too.   I think the Vikes have to go with a proven QB, and I agree.  Teddy might be better, but maybe not.  If Case is playing well, and the team is winning, then who cares if Sam and Teddy leave?  We don't need two starting QBs.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@NorthernCalVike said:

How much money would that tie up in the QB position to sign them both?  Case is going to get a starting QB salary with the way he's playing, but Teddy may get that too.   I think the Vikes have to go with a proven QB, and I agree.  Teddy might be better, but maybe not.  If Case is playing well, and the team is winning, then who cares if Sam and Teddy leave?  We don't need two starting QBs.
I think the past couple of years have shown us that you can never have too many starting-caliber QBs on your roster.  Wink  We are on our 3rd starter in the past 16 months.

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@HappyViking said:
@NorthernCalVike said:

I think the past couple of years have shown us that you can never have too many starting-caliber QBs on your roster.  Wink  We are on our 3rd starter in the past 16 months.
I meant you can't sign two starting QBs.  It's great to have valuable backups, like we discovered this year.  We signed Case to a backup contract, and that's the only reason he's a Viking.

Would Teddy or Sam play next season for a backup QB deal similar to Case's?  If so, sign them both up.

Just don't see that happening.

Case needs to win the next 7 games to get a long term deal imo

I don't think Sam even plays a role in this story, except as perhaps a cautionary tale for the team's approach to Teddy Bridgewater.

As I've said before, in my mind, Thanksgiving saw Case Keenum's narrative turn a corner from "rental QB playing well in a very good offense" to "improving QB who might just be better than anyone thought." Thanksgiving indeed. While it's hard to believe anyone could be playing better than Case right now, I still believe that Teddy, too, would be lighting it up if he were playing, as would Sam. 

So, who do we give our money to? With Teddy's knee a question mark, Bradford's knee a caution flag draped over it, and Keenum seemingly improving with each game, I think it's now a legitimate question. Obviously, It would be foolish to do anything money related now, but it's going to be an interesting off season. I'm betting Mike and Rick are merrily flummoxed. That is to say they're giddy at the results, but have absolutely no clue about what they're going to do, other than just watch it play out like the rest of us. 

It is ironic that we struggled to find a "franchise" QB all these years and now we cannot figure out which one we want to keep.  Strange world.
I just wish we had them all under contract and could trade them off to teams like the Eagles did to us.