Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sendejo

Quote:

Bur Sendejo is what he is. And in no way, shape or form do I want him covering Gronk or any of the Patriots factory-generated RBs that are so lethal as pass catchers. And they're going to find a way to catch him covering a WR sooner or later.

Look, I love Lunch Pail Players. But Safeties are becoming a lot like CBs in terms of needing good to great coverage skills. Sendejo doesn't have that. He's certainly improved against the run, being where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be, and making plays on the ball like he's done in the endzone.
You're basing his talent on the ability to cover one of the hardest covers in the last 25 years? 
More than one way to play safety, many would argue a thumper back there is just as useful if not more useful than a "cover guy" 

no one player is going to take gronk out of a game,  i dont think that player exists in the league.  

Fine. He can't cover Jesse James with the Steelers either. Graham with the Hags. Fortunately not Olsen on Sunday.

But imagine having a Safety that could cover and what that would allow Zimmer to do with Smith.

It's part of why Barr and Kendricks are so damn dynamic. As good against the pass as the run.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Fine. He can't cover Jesse James with the Steelers either. Graham with the Hags. Fortunately not Olsen on Sunday.

But imagine having a Safety that could cover and what that would allow Zimmer to do with Smith.

It's part of why Barr and Kendricks are so damn dynamic. As good against the pass as the run.
i dont think a cover 0 is a good idea against the Pats no matter who you have in coverage.  somebody will get open and having a deep S is the only thing that will prevent an easy 6 points for Brady,  and really against most quality QBs.

I agree, man coverage is definitely a weakness.  It is why I was excited to see Harris looking good at that.  But he is good at what he does in Zimmer's D.  Patrol the back end and ensure that WRs hear footsteps.  Bottom line, he does what is asked of him and that is a vital part of a very good D.

Reading back through my post but can't seem to find anywhere that I said the Team needed an All-Pro at every position. I know why, because i didn't.

What I very specifically said was that to get to being a truly Elite Defense you need better than League Average at damn near every position on the field.

And no,.being ranked #2 on Defense does not make them Elite. There isn't an Elite Defense this year. Really there isn't one most years. The Broncos had one a little while back, but FA took some of their teeth away.

So I look at that Broncos D or the Ravens D from that Super Bowl run and ask myself which Players on this Vikings Defense would fit right in and which would immediately be a downgrade.

Why? Because I bet your bottom dollar that Mike Zimmer is also thinking about having a truly Elite Defense. That is what he's always striving for (besides a Super Bowl win).

And he's damn close. Smith, Rhodes, Barr, Kendricks, Griffen, Joseph, Hunter. Still plenty of growing yet to come for Waynes and Alexander.

Bur Sendejo is what he is. And in no way, shape or form do I want him covering Gronk or any of the Patriots factory-generated RBs that are so lethal as pass catchers. And they're going to find a way to catch him covering a WR sooner or later.

Look, I love Lunch Pail Players. But Safeties are becoming a lot like CBs in terms of needing good to great coverage skills. Sendejo doesn't have that. He's certainly improved against the run, being where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be, and making plays on the ball like he's done in the endzone.

But if you truly believe he won't get picked on in coverage as Minnesota moves deeper into the Playoffs....
I assume you are replying to my comment.  If you’ll read my response to you, I said you were wrong about Waynes and Alexander. 
Sendejo is what he is, you are correct. That would be not as bad as everyone thinks he is.

Smith might be the best safety in all of football... again, it's that's an unrealistic comparison? 

Who says I'm comparing Sendejo to Smith? What I'm comparing him to is Safeties from Elite Defenses. And he doesn't measure up.

Sure, neither do Waynes and Alexander, but they can still grow. I truly believe Sendejo is maxed out on what his ceiling is, particularly in coverage.

And again, you can win a Super Bowl with him. But don't be surprised if Mike and Rick go shopping for his replacement again this offseason.

One thing to keep in mind. If the Safety spot opposite Harrison is upgraded and the young CBs develop and JJ becomes the answer at 3T or they find an upgrade over TJ this Defense will become Elite, at least on paper.

Unless the QB situation deteriorates into what the Broncos have this Team will be a serious Title Contender for 2 or 3 more years minimum. And I fully trust Mike and Rick to keep the pipelines full of developing talent.

Great Defense for the foreseeable future with the potential for Elite Status. And not that long ago we cheered for the 31st Ranked Unit. Unreal. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
Sendejo is having a very good year. Anyone saying otherwise is really holding on to some sort of sour grapes. Guy is playing very well. Frankly he has been for two years now. Our entire defense is playing very well or we wouldn't be ranked 2nd defense in the league.
I agree 

I think Robert Griffith was in his 3rd or 4th year with thd tem before he becsmr s dependsble starter. He’s not a HOF player and I think it wiyld ne s mistske to think Sandejo is far behind him in dependabilty for a Viking’s defense. Sandejo has had some serious defended some serious passes.