Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings have a handle on every situation

Throughout the summer and again during the Vikings' bye week, coach Mike Zimmer preached the importance of situational football. That was on display Sunday in Atlanta.During their most impressive victory of the season, the Vikings taught a master class in situational football, beating the Atlanta Falcons 14-9 with the mundane rather than the spectacular. They excelled on third down and close to the goal line, smothering the Falcons’ superstars with schemes and play-calling.
The Falcons had scored 95 points in their past three games while converting 27 of 41 third downs. The defending NFC champs were hot and playing at home. Then Zimmer and his staff arrived with a large asbestos blanket.
Sunday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, star quarterback Matt Ryan failed to throw a touchdown pass for the first time in 31 games and Julio Jones produced 229 fewer yards receiving than the previous week. The Falcons failed to produce a touchdown for the first time since 2015 and posted their lowest yardage total since 2013.
Throughout the summer and again during the Vikings’ bye week, Zimmer preached the importance of situational football, particularly third-down conversions and red-zone touchdowns. “That stuck in our membrane,’’ running back Jerick McKinnon said.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-have-...461750973/

Well coached and talented. Good combo. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Well coached and talented. Good combo. 
Experienced in scheme too...At least our core is. That puts us on the same footing to beat teams like McCarthy's and other established programs.

1st, 2nd year programs have some freshness to them, but are really at a disadvantage against a team who knows the scheme like the back of their hand. 

“That stuck in our membrane,’’ running back Jerick McKinnon said.
Not sure exactly what that means, but I like it and am going  to use it going forward.

Quote: @dadevike said:
“That stuck in our membrane,’’ running back Jerick McKinnon said.
Not sure exactly what that means, but I like it and am going  to use it going forward.

Sticky, if that was meant to illuminate, it was lost on me -- admittedly, I only watched the first 30 seconds.