Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Casserly on The Future of the QB Position For The Vikings
He sees what we've discussed here many times, but it's interesting to hear an "outsiders" view.  Click on the text below for the vid.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/video...f9d17ac5fc

NFL Network's Charley Casserly discusses the quarterback scenario
surrounding the Minnesota Vikings, and how Case Keenum's play has made
him a solid starting QB choice, for now.

Curious what Charlie thinks. Anyone care to recap for those of us at work? 

Take QB decision week to week.
Thought Thursday's game was the best game of Case's career.
Thinks Shurmur is OC of the year.
Doesn't think Case is a 20 mil/year QB.
Wait and see how it plays out the entire year before rushing to a decision.
Thinks Sam is out, not reliable with the knee injury.
Thinks Teddy is a real option, and has gotten stronger and most likely will do well.
Says everyone is waiting for the clock to hit midnight on Case, but it's not happening.  He keeps playing better.
Interesting problem for the Vikes.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Thinks Teddy is a real option, and has gotten stronger and most likely will do well.
Says everyone is waiting for the clock to hit midnight on Case, but it's not happening.  He keeps playing better.
Thanks!

For my part, I think the Detroit game was the best I've seen Case play. I'm still super anxious to see Teddy play and I'm pretty confident he would be just as good, if not better than Case. However, the Detroit game represented a kind of turning point for Case in my opinion. A point where you could legitimately argue for the first time that his play was the driver of our offensive success instead of the guy being driven by it. And if that's true, he might actually be improving, which potentially changes everything. It could blunt the whole "career backup" label he's had for years. If he's improving then it makes you wonder if he WAS a career backup and NOW he's something else. A bit like Rich Gannon. Either way, it probably extends his leash quite a bit. 

But I agree with Casserly. Let's wait and see what happens. At the very worst, the Vikings have the NFL's hottest QB for the stretch run, and if he falters or gets hurt, the Vikings have a backup who likely won't skip a beat. No other team in the playoff hunt can say that. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
Thanks!

For my part, I think the Detroit game was the best I've seen Case play. I'm still super anxious to see Teddy play and I'm pretty confident he would be just as good, if not better than Case. However, the Detroit game represented a kind of turning point for Case in my opinion. A point where you could legitimately argue for the first time that his play was the driver of our offensive success instead of the guy being driven by it. And if that's true, he might actually be improving, which potentially changes everything. It could blunt the whole "career backup" label he's had for years. If he's improving then it makes you wonder if he WAS a career backup and NOW he's something else. A bit like Rich Gannon. Either way, it probably extends his leash quite a bit. 

But I agree with Casserly. Let's wait and see what happens. At the very worst, the Vikings have the NFL's hottest QB for the stretch run, and if he falters or gets hurt, the Vikings have a backup who likely won't skip a beat. No other team in the playoff hunt can say that. 
MB, when you get a chance, I'd suggest you listen to it.  It's a short segment, but he's a pragmatic guy that just states the facts. 

One thing I thought was interesting was he thinks Case is a better QB than Goff.  He mentioned that the Rams let Case go, but thinks he's the better QB between the two.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
Thanks!

Precisely my thoughts.  Case played very well in Detroit.  Better than other games where he put up bigger numbers.   That makes the decision tougher on Zimmer.   I too think Teddy would be even better in this offense, but it is getting to the point where you can't make a change IMO.  And if he continues to play like this, they shouldn't.

I still think Teddy is the long term, but ride the date that brought you, or some metaphor like that...

Agree, Case played a smart and efficient game. That pass to Rudy in the back corner of the end zone with the rusher in his face was yet another thing of beauty this season. While I would absolutely love to see what Teddy could do with this team around him, I fully support the coaching staff as they continue to chug forward with Case at the helm.

I agree with Casserly, the good news is the Vikings don't have to make any decisions right now. Sitting at 9/2 with their destiny pretty much in their own hands. 

Case is looking more poised as the season goes on---leave him in until he falters.  Still want a more consistent vertical game but am liking the fact he hits players in stride on most throws not ponderisque freeze frame throws ugh.

Keenum was under a bunch of pressure in that Detroit game and really played well. He moves in the pocket while looking downfield.