Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings followers know better than to take these for granted...
The Vikings’ 9-2 record and stronghold on the NFC North makes it easy to begin taking certain things for granted.That, of course, would be a mistake given the previous struggles we have seen when it comes to this franchise and certain areas of need that often haven’t been adequately addressed.

Here are three things the Vikings are doing well in 2017 that shouldn’t be overlooked. The offensive line’s play is not included because no one should take the success of that unit for granted considering the atrocious play we saw only a year ago. (Feel free to kick in any other suggestions in the comments section.)
Throwing on the move
Christian Ponder had the mobility to move out of the pocket and keep plays alive. The issue was he didn’t have the ability to keep his eyes down-the-field while doing this, meaning he couldn’t utilize what should have been one of his biggest strengths.
One thing that has made Case Keenum so successful in 10 games, and nine starts, is that the veteran not only has proven adept at scrambling but he also continues to look for potential receivers as he attempts to evade defenders.
Making the right call 
How long have Vikings followers wondered what is going through the mind of the offensive play caller? Brad Childress and Darrell Bevell thrived with Brett Favre in 2009, but otherwise there were head-scratching moments from both the former Vikings coach and coordinator. Same with Bill Musgrave and Norv Turner.
Now, think about this. How many times have you been left screaming at your television this season after watching a series called by coordinator Pat Shurmur?
There’s a very good chance Shurmur could get a head coaching opportunity after this season, so enjoy play-calling that makes perfect sense while it exists in these parts.  :'( Confused
Constant coverage

What’s wrong with Xavier Rhodes?
That was a question asked by a few Thursday after Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford went at the Vikings cornerback a few times, including a 43-yard touchdown pass to Marvin Jones Jr., in the final quarter. Rhodes also was called for a pass interference penalty late in the second quarter.
So what was going on?
First, Rhodes had injured his calf in the Vikings’ win over the Rams on Sunday. Second, we just aren’t used to anyone throwing at Rhodes and, thus, when it happens and he gives up a reception, we are reminded of the fact he’s human.
Even playing with an injury, Rhodes finished Thursday’s win at Detroit by picking off Stafford on fourth-and-10 with three minutes remaining.

That was the Xavier Rhodes we have come to expect. Just don’t take his play for granted.

I was scratching my head over the play calling Thursday. I could be wrong but I believe we ran on every single first down.

Quote: @Hidalgo said:
I was scratching my head over the play calling Thursday. I could be wrong but I believe we ran on every single first down.
We did pass on some first downs.  The second TD pass to Rudy was on first down. It was a run heavy game plan with 41 rushes to 30 pass attempts, but I think the strategy was to go run heavy after a short week to wear down the defense.

Yes, we know....the Vikings have failed us miserably as fans. Forever. We always kind of expect the other shoe to drop because it always does. But if you can't also hope a little hope that might change in any given year, why bother? 

Enjoy the ride and let the chips fall where they may. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Yes, we know....the Vikings have failed us miserably as fans. Forever. We always kind of expect the other shoe to drop because it always does. But if you can't also hope a little hope that might change in any given year, why bother? 

Enjoy the ride and let the chips fall where they may. 
Exactly. 
Egg. Zackly.