Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
By now, you'd have to pry job away from Vikings' Case Keenum
Quote: @Vikeking2 said:

however, in any game going forward if we are losing at half time and Case is average or less, i think Zimmer would pull him for Teddy. 
I'm not so sure about that unless Case's performance is miserable.  As you stated, if the team is losing after the first half and Case is average, many times all is required is the play calling adjustments which could turn the teams fortunes around and change an "average" performance to a "good" performance.

Fortunately, I believe the Vikings coaching staff have been one of the better staffs at making these half-time/in-game adjustments.

Quote: @Bullazin said:
Keenum is no Matt Stafford, and he shouldnt try to be.  Stafford is an elite player with additional skills but Keenum has proven himself as a capable and productive starter.  Hopefully we keep playing with leads and keep Case’s limitations masked. The way he’s playing is a delight to watch, and im hopeful we dont need to ask him to spread the field and lead a major comeback, cause its the only thing im convinced he still cannot do
To a degree I agree with this. I'm of the opinion that there are different ways to skin a cat, and Stafford wins games one way, while Case wins them in other ways. As a fan, his energy is an absolute joy to watch. His personality is infectious, and he's about as gritty a QB as I've seen. He just guts out plays by will, and competitive energy. 

I feel that Shurmur has been brilliant in placing Case in situations where he's not being asked to win games like Bradford could, or like Teddy could, but he's calling plays designed to Case's strengths.

Part of me thinks he CAN lead a major comeback, simply by way of his competitive streak, and energy. It almost reminds me of when Favre was on fire. After a TD, he was always the first guy down the field and celebrating with his teammates. Same thing with Case.

He almost seems oblivious to his own past. Like he doesn't realize he's "Case Keenum, Career Backup." Nobody loves an underdog story as much as me. Hell, as Vikings fans, my guess is that we all love a good underdog story. Case and Adam are the ultimate underdog stories, and I can't think of a better story line for this season.

For me, if he's outplaying the backup moniker, I'm great with that. Like Adam, he just may be proof that you aren't what you're labeled, you are what you do.

I'm happy to be along for the ride on what looks to be an incredible story line in a season that can desperately use one.

"Case Closed: Vikings Win First Superbowl At Home On the Backs of a Career Backup QB, and Undrafted Homegrown WR"

Sounds good to me!

Edited- Friggin' auto-correct...

Quote: @Norse said:
Say what you want but...Case has the # 2 QBR in the NFL. Ahead of Tom Brady.

edit: link
http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

I believe just prior to getting sacked yesterday, Case had broken the Vikings all-time record for consecutive snaps without a sack.  I can't remember if that was mentioned by the announcers or someone had posted it.  It was something like 119-120 straight snaps.  The previous record holder was Daunte Culpepper. 

If I'm Zimmer I'm saying to myself we're on a hell of a streak and we have to let this continue to play out on the field. There would be mutiny in the locker room if they pulled Case right now imo.

Enjoy the ride. They're not going 14/2, there will be bumps and Case has earned a longer leash than he had a month ago. I don't know what's going to happen to Bridgewater. He may not see the field this year if Case continues to play great. 

A deep playoff run and having Teddy/Case battle it out in TC isn't something I'd be opposed to. Not sure if thats possible though...

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:

@NodakViking said:
Zimmer is not appeasing Teddy by trying to get him on the field he is appeasing his own desire based on his knowledge and experience.  Case is playing great so he has to shelf that for the current situation.  For the big picture he has to appease himself and probably the front office before they decide who will be here long term.  Case turns 30 in February and likely will only get this one contract, they better get it right.  IF they overpay a 30yo QB in a long term 5 year deal and he reverts to his career norm while letting a 25 year potential long term answer walk it will all be a colossal failure unless they are holding a Lombardi, and even so it could be a one and done if they are wrong.

Case is playing great, enjoy the ride as far as it takes us but long term it makes a lot of sense to find out where Teddy is at before the offseason and the negotiations with Case and Teddy.  If Teddy were to get on the field for a game or so and look just as good or better it gives them leverage with Case while Teddy would still have some left to prove post injury.
They were talking on the post-game radio show yesterday that its very possible that they toll Teddy's contract next year.  To me, that would be the perfect scenario, but it was a little surprising to hear that yesterday as I had pretty much assumed that was no longer an option.
its my understanding that its an option to try through the CBA,  but that there is other language that would likely win the day so its not really even worth trying or even discussing going forward.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
LOL
And round and round we go...  here's the deal...  Case is playing some really good football...  the best of his career...  the Vikings are 9-2 and on a 7 game win streak against some good opponents.  There is no sense in constantly debating hypotheticals... plenty of games left to play and the QB situation will sort itself out.
Just enjoy the wins, baby!!!
BOOM
Some people not only have trouble with opposing views, they have trouble with anything other than complete acceptance of their opinion, its a little weird if you ask me seeing Case’s name being thrown out with Brady’s and Stafford’s

Quote: @Clanzomaelan said:
@Bullazin said:
Keenum is no Matt Stafford, and he shouldnt try to be.  Stafford is an elite player with additional skills but Keenum has proven himself as a capable and productive starter.  Hopefully we keep playing with leads and keep Case’s limitations masked. The way he’s playing is a delight to watch, and im hopeful we dont need to ask him to spread the field and lead a major comeback, cause its the only thing im convinced he still cannot do
To a degree I agree with this. I'm of the opinion that there are different ways to skin a cat, and Stafford wins games one way, while Case wins them in other ways. As a fan, his energy is an absolute joy to watch. His personality is infectious, and he's about as gritty a QB as I've seen. He just guts out plays by will, and competitive energy. 

I feel that Shurmur has been brilliant in placing Case in situations where he's not being asked to win games like Bradford could, like Teddy could, but he's calling plays designed to Case's strengths.

Part of me thinks he CAN lead a major comeback, simply by way of his competitive streak, and energy. It almost reminds me of when Favre was on fire. After a TD, he was always the first guy down the field and celebrating with his teammates. Same thing with Case.

He almost seems oblivious to his own past. Like he doesn't realize he's Case Keenum, career backup. Nobody loves an investigation story as much as me. He'll, as Vikings fans, my guess is that we all love a good underdog story. Case and Adam are the ultimate underdog stories, and I can't think of a better storyline for this season.

For me, if he's outplaying the backup moniker, I'm great with that. Like Adam, he just may be proof that you aren't what you're labeled, you are what you do.

I'm happy to be along for the ride on what looks to be an incredible storyline in a season that can desperately use one.

"Case Closed: Vikings Win First Superbowl At Home On the Backs of a Career Backup QB, and Undrafted Homegrown WR"

Sounds good to me!
excellent post clanzo

I'm going to start this out by saying that I'm going to ride the fence hard on this.  I love Teddy, but at the same time Case has done an awesome job this season.  The big question in my mind, is how much has AT and the other receivers made Case's game look better?  There are a lot of catches that probably would have been drops, or even int's, if it wasn't for AT or even Rudy bailing Case out.  There are also a few occasions where a better placed ball would have resulted in a much bigger gain or even a touchdown.  The biggest example of this is AT's "fake inside then run to sideline" route that he is money for.  If Adam doesn't need to stretch out for those he could turn it up field.

The other question is how does Teddy look in a non-run focused offense?  Take the AP handcuffs off and how much better (or worse?) does he look.  We know Teddy could ball, and honestly I think he still can.  Letting Teddy go will be a big mistake for us I think.  I really wish we would have signed Case to a multi year backup deal.  We are in a pretty bad spot right now after this season ends.

Quote: @El_Padre said:
I'm going to start this out by saying that I'm going to ride the fence hard on this.  I love Teddy, but at the same time Case has done an awesome job this season.  The big question in my mind, is how much has AT and the other receivers made Case's game look better?  There are a lot of catches that probably would have been drops, or even int's, if it wasn't for AT or even Rudy bailing Case out.  There are also a few occasions where a better placed ball would have resulted in a much bigger gain or even a touchdown.  The biggest example of this is AT's "fake inside then run to sideline" route that he is money for.  If Adam doesn't need to stretch out for those he could turn it up field.

The other question is how does Teddy look in a non-run focused offense?  Take the AP handcuffs off and how much better (or worse?) does he look.  We know Teddy could ball, and honestly I think he still can.  Letting Teddy go will be a big mistake for us I think.  I really wish we would have signed Case to a multi year backup deal.  We are in a pretty bad spot right now after this season ends.
No, a bad spot is going into next season with Ponder, Bollinger, Joe Webb, Tarvaris, McNabb,  Cassel or Shaun Hill as your QB Wink

Quote: @El_Padre said:

Would Ted even throw it to those guys? (in the exact same situation)

75%-85% of the time, I think he checks it down. Or gets sacked waiting for a wide open WR. (He would never attempt the same throws)