Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case Keenum has “a horseshoe right now” but how long will he have starting job?
MINNEAPOLIS – The Vikings faced second-and-5 from the Los Angeles 30-yard line late in the first quarter Sunday when Case Keenum dropped back and came under heavy pressure.The quarterback managed to evade linebacker Robert Quinn and ducked as linebacker Connor Barwin somehow slipped off him. And then, as he was about to take a hit from defensive tackle Michael Brockers, Keenum lofted the ball into the air.

It came down in Adam Thielen’s hands, a split second before cornerback Trumaine Johnson arrived, for a 12-yard gain to the Rams 18. Five plays later, Latavius Murray scored on an 8-yard run to tie the score at 7 in what became a 24-7 victory for the Vikings.
So Vikings coach Mike Zimmer had to be thrilled with his quarterback’s Houdini-like act to avoid the sack, right?
“Yeah, um, it was a good ending,” Zimmer said afterward showing little enthusiasm for the play.
Zimmer, who has called Keenum excitable in recent weeks, later elaborated on seeing his QB launch a pass that just as easily could have been intercepted. “I’m thinking a lot of things at that point,” he said. “But, he’s got a horseshoe right now.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...rting-job/

There has been much speculation in recent weeks whether the now-healthy Teddy Bridgewater would replace Keenum as the Vikings’ starter. Much of this has been driven by the Vikings coach, who has made it clear he has a plan for Bridgewater.
But with the Vikings sitting atop the NFC North and having won six in a row, making a change at this point would be very difficult.
“It changes,” Zimmer said when asked about The Teddy Plan. “It’s going to be hard to yank (Keenum) out of there right now. He’s playing good and I still have really high hopes for Teddy. A lot of things happen throughout the course of the season so we’ll just see how it goes.”

I'm starting to get really irritated with this line of questioning and even Zimmer's responses honestly.  Zimmer can put this shit to bed but has allowed this uncertainty to continue.  Case has saved our season, been playing lights out, and has done everything asked of him on and off the field.  He deserves to be the starter and its bullshit that every week we have to keep hearing rumors of him getting benched and questions about when is he finally going to shit the bed.

Case deserves more than that.

Keenum has played very well.....but he definitely has gotten lucky, also. I get Zimmer's comment about the horseshoe

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
I'm starting to get really irritated with this line of questioning and even Zimmer's responses honestly.  Zimmer can put this shit to bed but has allowed this uncertainty to continue.  Case has saved our season, been playing lights out, and has done everything asked of him on and off the field.  He deserves to be the starter and its bullshit that every week we have to keep hearing rumors of him getting benched and questions about when is he finally going to shit the bed.

I dont envy Zimmer on this one...He has to keep Bridgewater hopeful and has to keep riding Case, keep him motivated and playing well. 

Plus avoid any locker room/chemistry disruption. 

I think events on the field will take care of the situation naturally without Zimmer having to be proactive about making a change. 

"Horseshoe".....Remember you heard it here first.    Wink

Granted, most every coach would want him to take the sack and not risk a fumble or INT, but it's so refreshing to see a Viking QB not quit and not afraid to make a play

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Keenum has played very well.....but he definitely has gotten lucky, also. I get Zimmer's comment about the horseshoe

THAT play in particular was lucky as fuck.  I mean he shrugged off a sack and his head popped up and he threw it.  I seriously wonder if he even saw Thielen was open.  LOL.  He might have known he was coming across on the crosser, but it looked like he got out of the sack and just chucked it up to a spot.
Fans need to admit it, he's been getting incredibly lucky on at least a couple throws every game, but he's been playing very good football otherwise.  I don't think that type of play is sustainable and he'll have a bad game sooner or later...  however, he's earned the right to keep the starting role.  You can't argue with the results.  6 straight wins and has a 7-2 record in games he's played this season.
I just hope fans don't turn on Zimmer if Keenum has a bad game and he makes the switch to Teddy.  It's plain as day why Zimmer is reluctant to commit to him as the season long starter.  Personally, I'm just enjoying the season and if Keenum keeps the Vikings winning it's all good.  Lovin' it.
BOOM

i agree 100% but it's well documented his love of Teddy, and IMO his overestimate of Teddy's game. he's just begging for a reason to put him in the game. it is becoming more and more apparent each week. he seems upset that he has to play Case, because Case is playing so well.

Despite playing great ball, many fans are unsettled about the QB position, with good reason. We all are
desperate as fans for a super bowl win and want our best on the field.  Teddy was drafted as a franchise guy, and has done nothing to make us doubt that he can be that guy.  

Although you have to give credit to Shurmer for having a scheme that gets the ball out quickly and has receivers open on every play, Case is playing great ball, making some very good throws, showing good pocket awareness the results cannot be argued.  That said I have seen few examples of him throwing someone open, and am still hesitant to believe he can lead us from behind with precision passes down the field like teddy has already demonstrated he can do.  

i am enjoying this team thoroughly, and i am resting quite assured that Z will make the right calls on personnel at the right time