Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keenum + Sloter for 2018?
OK, time for me to get off the fence about Keenum: he could be our QB for the rest of this season and maybe beyond. He said he wanted to stay here this week, he and his wife love it - that's a signal to go forward with extension talks.

Bradford: unless he stages a surprising return to health AND pushes Keenum to the bench AND takes this team really far in the playoffs AND convinces physicians that his knee is going to be healthy long-term, has probably completed his Vikings career.

Bridgewater: maybe he will sign a new deal with the Vikings, but if they commit to Keenum, I think he is more likely to try his luck elsewhere. There are always teams in need of a QB, and there have been hints he would love to go home to Miami (who will be done with Jay Cutler soon). Unless the Vikings change their minds and toll his contract - and win a possible challenge - I think he will leave in free agency.

If I had to bet I think the Vikings will extend Keenum and sign another QB to compete with Sloter as his backup.

Quote: @Ilovebigtd's said:
No. keenum is not a franchise qb. you guys will see soon enough
I was saying that myself three weeks ago. Those 2 INTs against Washington could have spooked him, but he seemed fine today. Time to stop waiting for a collapse.

Besides - that magical "franchise QB" is pretty elusive. Do you see someone on our roster who can definitely be described as one? I don't.

Keenum deserves the starts and is working on becoming our Qb for the next several years. 

#Vikings will be off to their best start after 10 games since the 2009 team went 9-1 en route to the NFC championship game.

case really isnt doing anything special, he shouldve had anotber int but rudy saved it. he also had a some misthrows. adam theilen continuously bails him out. all i saw we 5 yard throws where the receivers do all the work.
you guys are crazy thinking hes a long term answer at qb. 
soon enough youll see
Quick, short routes was obviously part of the game plan today against a good pass rushing team.  We wouldn't have seen much different from Teddy, and Sam would have been sacked about six times.  You can go ahead to sit on that box with others that think Teddy would be performing much better.  The truth is that Case is performing very well and putting up numbers better than the team has typically had from the position lately, other than Sam.  I'm not really ripping Teddy, it just seems people need to keep being reminded that he's not Tom Brady.  In the reverse, people everywhere downgrade Case despite how well he does simply because he's played on some shitty teams and signed here to be a "backup."  So far this season he's been the starter and should be treated as such.

47m
Mike Zimmer on Case Keenum: "It's going to be hard to yank him out of there right now." Said he has high hopes for Bridgewater, and could see him at some point.
Edit: whole tweet 
#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer on QB Case Keenum: "It's going to be hard to yank him out of there right now. He's playing good. I still have really high hopes. You know a lot of things happen throughout the course of this season so we'll just see how it goes.''

The only thing I can think of that supports the bottom falling out for Keenum is the thought that maybe teams lack film on him? That said, he's 7-2 as the starter. Not sure what film they're lacking. 

Seems a bit fantastical to suggest that we'll see the "real" Keenum, and support it with the fact that Rudy bailed him out on the possible pick. Goff who has been awesome YTD got bailed out by his WR when Harrison nearly picked him. It's something that happens over the course of the game. 

Also, to suggest that Thielen is consistently bailing him out just seems short sighted. Often, Keenum is buying time with his feet, and doing a good job finding the open WR while on the move. Finally, he's actually getting the ball to the WR while on the move. Just not sure what else we expect of him.

I'd think we'd have seen the real Keenum by now. I'm thinking maybe he found a system that works with him.

Shurmur said he’s seen Keenum, who is 5-2 as a starter this season, make improvements each week.“That’s what happens when you get a guy that plays game, after game, after game,” Shurmur said. “He’s earned the trust of players he plays with, the team, the coaches, and we’re looking forward to him going out this week and even playing better.”
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Pr...52eb1981cc

case really isnt doing anything special, he shouldve had anotber int but rudy saved it. he also had a some misthrows. adam theilen continuously bails him out. all i saw we 5 yard throws where the receivers do all the work.
you guys are crazy thinking hes a long term answer at qb. 
soon enough youll see
He is doing what is asked of him and playing smart football. He picked up Player of the Week honors so he must be doing something right. He has a great OL and great chemistry with his offensive weapons. He is playing at level he never has so I think that is special. He loves his teammates and they love him. Every qb has some missed throws. It was great to see Rudy go get that ball. Thielen is amazing no doubt. What more do you want? 

Quote: @Norse said:
47m
Mike Zimmer on Case Keenum: "It's going to be hard to yank him out of there right now." Said he has high hopes for Bridgewater, and could see him at some point.
I'd be saying nearly the same thing at this point...

Ride the hot hand, but I also know they are running out of time to evaluate Bridgwater thoroughly this season.