Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pat Shurmur's unpredictable, creative Vikings offense is catching fire
The Vikings scored on all five of their red zone trips on Sunday. Each one of their scores came out of a different personnel group.
“You just never know what you’re going to get with this offense,” Wright said. “So many guys can do so many different things, and I think that’s what actually helps us be so versatile with this offense.”
In addition to unpacking a suitcase of different personnel groups, Shurmur and wide receivers coach Darrell Hazell have trained the team’s receivers to play any spot in the offense — a departure from how the group functioned under former offensive coordinator Norv Turner. That’s helped the Vikings conduct more high-tempo drives — “I might get caught on this side, and I don’t have to run 50 yards to the other side of the field to be where I’m supposed to be,” Wright said last week — and it’s made the group more difficult to prepare for as a whole.
“You’ve got to do an awful lot of studying, because typically guys like to do certain things out of certain spots,” Zimmer said, when asked how receiver versatility stresses a defensive coordinator. “Guys are out of position in one spot and out of position in another spot and then they do different things out of those areas. Then you’ve got to figure out all your man coverage rules and your zone coverage rules. It makes it a lot more complicated and difficult.”
http://www.startribune.com/pat-shurmur-s...457309113/

Damn, we're going to have to work hard to keep Shurmur...

I think I want Shurmur as my head coach and Zimmer as my defensive coordinator.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think I want Shurmur as my head coach and Zimmer as my defensive coordinator.
Vikes have ripped-off 5 wins in a row, some are starting to take notice in press. Right now its all Eagles at 8/1? Let em have the press, I'd like to stay under the radar a bit more. May not be possible, especially if we get some big wins the next two weeks and nationally at Thanksgiving. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Damn, we're going to have to work hard to keep Shurmur...

Maybe his previous forays into HC land will have soured him to the job...nothing wrong with being a career coordinator...Linehan, Morningwig, Schwartz...

I think we approach Zim with the idea of having Shurmur named and paid as a co-HC and leave it up to them to decide how to make it work.... and then compensate Shurmur as such.   why cant a team with a 160 million dollar player payroll spend a  little more on their coaching staff once they find success?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I think we approach Zim with the idea of having Shurmur named and paid as a co-HC and leave it up to them to decide how to make it work.... and then compensate Shurmur as such.   why cant a team with a 160 million dollar player payroll spend a  little more on their coaching staff once they find success?
What???  That would be one of the dumbest things this franchise could do...  we don't need "co-Head Coaches".  Zimmer has done a fine job since taking over in 2014.  All this would do is undermine Zimmer and could cause a lot of problems.  Remember the Triangle of Authority???  That shit doesn't work...  you need one guy calling the shots and the coordinators handling their own duties.
If Shurmur gets some interest as a HC or an OC for some other team, the Vikings can easily pay him more money and add a fancy title like "assistant HC" to his Offensive Coordinator title.  That has been done in the past to keep guys from leaving, but it would have no bearing on Zimmer's day-to-day duties as HC of the Minnesota Vikings.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
What???  That would be one of the dumbest things this franchise could do...  we don't need "co-Head Coaches".  Zimmer has done a fine job since taking over in 2014.  All this would do is undermine Zimmer and could cause a lot of problems.  Remember the Triangle of Authority???  That shit doesn't work...  you need one guy calling the shots and the coordinators handling their own duties.
If Shurmur gets some interest as a HC or an OC for some other team, the Vikings can easily pay him more money and add a fancy title like "assistant HC" to his Offensive Coordinator title.  That has been done in the past to keep guys from leaving, but it would have no bearing on Zimmer's day-to-day duties as HC of the Minnesota Vikings.

what the fuck is the difference between co HC or asst HC,  its a fucking title and Zim could hand off some of the responsibilities that he is either weak at,  or he doesnt care for.  nobody said they would be on equal footing,  just sharing some of the duties to make it tougher for Shurmur to want to leave.  

yes Zimmer has done a good job,  but I am sure there are parts of his job that he doesnt care for or will admit that others might be better at.  the role of a HC doesnt have to be the same for every team just as the role for any position isnt the same in any occupation from one company to the next.

and why be reactive... show Shurmur that you appreciate what he is doing here instead of waiting to see if anybody else recognizes his effort and tries to reward him first.

I think, by rule, without "HC" in his title, the Vikings could not prevent Shurmur from interviewing for a HC job with another team.  I don't know if the Vikings have a policy of not precluding any assistant coach from interviewing for a HC job. But they would not have the option if Shurmur does not have an HC in his title.